Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:21 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Anyone comparing black history month to a mental illness being force-fed in a classroom is a damned fool.
A few things.

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

You just did an excellent job demonstrating why this bill was passed.

Because bigots like you think homosexuality is a MENTAL ILLNESS, i.e., it should and can be treated, and/or it can be prayed away. Meaning, gay people should be converted, i.e., eradicated. Or, Don't Ask, Don't Tell, they should all live in fear, and in hiding, and in secrecy.

Second, like others have already stated, this will be a minor blip on the curriculum. Even less of a minor blip than Black History. The objective is to teach inclusivity and tolerance. Nobody is force feeding gay cooties on anyone, so you can relax your sphincter. No kid is going to want to turn gay, because of LGBT History lessons, anymore than they are going to want to turn Black because of Black History lessons.

Third, there are people on this forum who think Black History month is a divisive liberal agenda and conspiracy. There are people here who think the whole concept of Black History is racist. Even further, people here have posted under troll accounts to opine that black people are inherently inferior based on brain structure and scientific evidence they found in neo-nazi literature. (Come on guys...which one of you was 'OceanJ'?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 11:42 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Welp you people voted for this crap, what can I tell ya?

Anyone comparing black history month to a mental illness being force-fed in a classroom is a damned fool.

It starts off as a "chapter in a book", then a required course with exams. Hey Murphy and your blue legislative minions, instead of trying to infringe on people's rights how about spending your time and resources on fixing NJT?
Ignoring your bigotry that others have already mentioned.

Addressing your point of "trying to infringe on people's rights." How does it infringe on someone's rights to teach them history? Gays didn't just magically appear one day. Though if we did, that would be because God created us and you'd all still say we're wrong even though God created us. Therefore, since we're not magical creatures, we came from somewhere and we have a history. All demographics have a history of something. The LGBT history is more prominent and successful now. There is no law that says children have to be gay or try out gay sex.

However, educating children on the history of LGBT successes and influences and political strides is no different than educating children on the history of African American successes and influences and political strides. We are both marginalized minorities who have been discriminated against personally and by our own government. We both have histories of being persecuted and physically harmed/murdered just for the way we were born. We both have very emotional histories with the mainstream US culture that have led to numerous clashes, but it seems like overall, we're both on better paths to equality today. However, there is a long way to go for both of us. Just in the way that black children can learn about the people who fought for their freedoms and rights and can have role models and understand how they fit into society, now LGBT children can possibly be less afraid of being who they are and develop LGBT role models who showcase how the LGBT community has become more accepted in US society.

Maybe your homophobia isn't that you don't want children learning about LGBT issues, it's that if enough people learn about LGBT issues, they might out you. You sound pretty terrified of people learning about gays. Maybe your right to be closeted will be infringed upon when people learn more about the LGBT community, but there are no other rights infringed upon simply by educating people on history.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:08 PM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Addressing your point of "trying to infringe on people's rights." How does it infringe on someone's rights to teach them history?
+1
It always amazes me that... some people... are of the belief that extending basic human rights to more people somehow reduces the freedoms/rights of others.

Human rights are not a finite commodity, and extending equal rights to more people does not reduce the rights of other people... unless, of course, the people who are aggrieved at an extension of human rights believe that they have a right to discriminate against others, and that their "right to discriminate" will be limited or eliminated.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
It always amazes me that... some people... are of the belief that extending basic human rights to more people somehow reduces the freedoms/rights of others.

Human rights are not a finite commodity, and extending equal rights to more people does not reduce the rights of other people... unless, of course, the people who are aggrieved at an extension of human rights believe that they have a right to discriminate against others, and that their "right to discriminate" will be limited or eliminated.
Just quoting you for a "repeat it for the people in the back" style commentary. Thank you.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
No way I'd allow my child to attend public school in New jersey.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I hate to have to explain the obvious, but you would have to reside in New Jersey, not in Georgia, in order for your child to attend school in New Jersey.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
No way I'd allow my child to attend public school in Georgia
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education
NJ: #2
GA: #31

Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 PM

144 posts, read 158,970 times
Now kids. these people can design our homes, wedding dresses , fashion , beauty , contribute to music, entertainment, crack nazi codes BUT you mustn’t learn about them and never , ever , ever look one in the eye. You’ll catch the gaaaaaaaaay

Old 02-22-2019, 01:10 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Who says we'd let you live here in the first place?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
A few things.

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

You just did an excellent job demonstrating why this bill was passed.

Because bigots like you think homosexuality is a MENTAL ILLNESS, i.e., it should and can be treated, and/or it can be prayed away. Meaning, gay people should be converted, i.e., eradicated. Or, Don't Ask, Don't Tell, they should all live in fear, and in hiding, and in secrecy.

Second, like others have already stated, this will be a minor blip on the curriculum. Even less of a minor blip than Black History. The objective is to teach inclusivity and tolerance. Nobody is force feeding gay cooties on anyone, so you can relax your sphincter. No kid is going to want to turn gay, because of LGBT History lessons, anymore than they are going to want to turn Black because of Black History lessons.

Third, there are people on this forum who think Black History month is a divisive liberal agenda and conspiracy. There are people here who think the whole concept of Black History is racist. Even further, people here have posted under troll accounts to opine that black people are inherently inferior based on brain structure and scientific evidence they found in neo-nazi literature. (Come on guys...which one of you was 'OceanJ'?)
I couldn't give you a rep for this, alas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey