Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 03:36 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
This article--from Maine--illustrates how an area that had not been a COVID-19 hotspot was rapidly transformed into a center for the spread of that disease, simply because people at one event didn't wear masks and didn't practice social distancing:

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/cor...245531825.html

I know you think I’m one of the stupid ones, but in the case of Covid I’m repeating what I’ve been told by a very intelligent researcher with experience in this field.

Your post above says “not formerly a hot spot”. I’ve said on here two or three times... there is a percentage of our total population who are going to get this virus. Places that weren’t hit hard before have only delayed the inevitable.

Once a location has seen the kind of outbreak NJ had in March and April, you’re not going to see another huge wave. Most the new infections you do see will only be diagnosed because we’re testing out the wazoo, not because people are horribly ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Your first point doesn't refute what I said.
You said:
Quote:
We would need to add up the 5 worst flu seasons in the last 100 years to meet/exceed the death count from COVID-19.
It turns out it's only two. So yes, my first point does refute what you said.

Quote:
Op claimed that COVID-19 is just a little bit worse than the flu, and the data shows otherwise.
Which flu? It's a lot less severe than the Spanish Flu.

Quote:
Spread, deaths, damage - a new study also showed that something like 60% of asymptomatic COVID patients have lung damage.
I notice your lack of links.

Quote:
As to your second, the vast majority of NJ is open for business. Indoor restaurants and gyms - the purpose of this thread - are open.
Barely. 25% with restrictions.

Quote:
The US and global caseload is still clearly high
Europe's caseload has been increasing dramatically, but hospitalizations and deaths have not followed. US caseload has been dropping.

Quote:
New Jersey isn't an island and I haven't seen any studies that suggest we have herd immunity in the region.
Of course we have herd immunity. We've had it since April. The number of infected dropped precipitously.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The easy answer to that question is that the people who think he is a tyrant would probably be unable to pass an 8th grade Civics exam. NJ convened a Constitutional Convention in 1947, which resulted in a newly-revised Constitution for NJ, and that document granted the NJ Governor stronger executive powers than in any other state.
That Murphy's rule by decree is in accordance with the state constitution does not make it any less tyranny; even Julius Caesar, perhaps the most well-known tyrant in history, was given his power according to the law of Rome.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:37 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That Murphy's rule by decree is in accordance with the state constitution does not make it any less tyranny; even Julius Caesar, perhaps the most well-known tyrant in history, was given his power according to the law of Rome.

Or maybe he could be like desantis in Florida and make no decisions, consult with no experts, provide no data. That may be a happier environment for you. I hear people love living there.
Thanks but I prefer real leadership.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Or maybe he could be like desantis in Florida and make no decisions, consult with no experts, provide no data. That may be a happier environment for you. I hear people love living there.
Thanks but I prefer real leadership.
And yet Florida ranks 17th right now in deaths per capita. Do you need a reminder on where NJ sits?

Old 09-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
And yet Florida ranks 17th right now in deaths per capita. Do you need a reminder on where NJ sits?
Then move there if it’s more to your liking. Nj was hit first and hit hard. I’m ok with the decisions made.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
Quote:
You said:

Europe's caseload has been increasing dramatically, but hospitalizations and deaths have not followed. US caseload has been dropping.

Of course we have herd immunity. We've had it since April. The number of infected dropped precipitously.
You cherry picked flu death data to take the high end of death estimates to find two that hit COVID's current estimates (which may be subject to revision). Even then, you have to combine 2 to hit COVID. That isn't an argument that favors COVID being a little bit worse than flu. It's yet to be explained to me how 2 ~ 1. The Spanish flu was over 100 years ago and it stands to reason that we might be a little better at handling infectious disease in 2020.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...l-asymptomatic

Limiting capacity to 25% doesn't mean that 75% businesses are closed.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
You said:

You really can’t say with any accuracy that the Spanish flu was a more severe illness . Our ability to TREAT the Spanish flu may have been worse resulting in more deaths but that is, simply because we did not have the medicines and treatments that we have now but that doesn’t mean the flu itself was worse.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Then move there if it’s more to your liking. Nj was hit first and hit hard. I’m ok with the decisions made.
You’re the one comparing the two governors and suggesting one is better than the other based on Covid results. Why should that make me move to FL? I never once suggested Florida is better than NJ; only pointed out that your comparison doesn’t show what you want it to.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You’re the one comparing the two governors and suggesting one is better than the other based on Covid results. Why should that make me move to FL? I never once suggested Florida is better than NJ; only pointed out that your comparison doesn’t show what you want it to.
Ah yeahhh you did

Specifically

"And yet Florida ranks 17th right now in deaths per capita. Do you need a reminder on where NJ sits?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey