Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 11:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
that link only says that this person says contact tracing is useful, it gives no details on how it can be useful and how much of an impact it could make. i find it hard to believe that contact tracing can have a meaningful impact when it comes to covid-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 02:40 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Their numbers don't look good.
Speaking of Florida, Deep Denial DeSantis is keeping parents in certain areas in the dark regarding disease outbreaks in their schools:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...TWN_HVPZu9vpOo

Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,471,813 times
In theory, I don't see anything wrong with contact tracing. If you became ill and tested positive and came within close contact with 20 people in the past two weeks, contact tracing can identify and test the people who came into close contact with you. The people who test positive can self-isolate for two weeks, and the tracing continues. It's purpose is to reduce the asymptomatic spread of the disease. It can only work if the number of contacts people have is relatively low (they sorta engineer this through restrictions and mass gathering bans) and the number of cases isn't overwhelming tracing capacity. I'm not sure how (well) it's implemented in practice.

S. Korea never really shut down and used a strong contact tracing regime to mitigate the spread of the virus. The key there was that they started doing it there at the start.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 09-09-2020 at 03:44 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 08:51 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
In theory, I don't see anything wrong with contact tracing. If you became ill and tested positive and came within close contact with 20 people in the past two weeks, contact tracing can identify and test the people who came into close contact with you. The people who test positive can self-isolate for two weeks, and the tracing continues. It's purpose is to reduce the asymptomatic spread of the disease. It can only work if the number of contacts people have is relatively low (they sorta engineer this through restrictions and mass gathering bans) and the number of cases isn't overwhelming tracing capacity. I'm not sure how (well) it's implemented in practice.

S. Korea never really shut down and used a strong contact tracing regime to mitigate the spread of the virus. The key there was that they started doing it there at the start.
At the very least, contact tracing is providing data on how and to whom it spreads. It's a research project.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
At the very least, contact tracing is providing data on how and to whom it spreads. It's a research project.
then they should fund it with private money. i find it hard to believe that contact tracing will have a significant impact on the spread of the disease.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:47 PM

820 posts, read 974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Or maybe he could be like desantis in Florida and make no decisions, consult with no experts, provide no data. That may be a happier environment for you. I hear people love living there.
Thanks but I prefer real leadership.
If by “real leadership,” you mean your governor invading your personal life and checking every detail of what you’re doing like an overprotective parent, you’ve got it. Me, I’d rather live my life and make my own decisions.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:50 PM

820 posts, read 974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Couldn't rep you again.

I don't know why anyone thinks testing is a solution for handling this virus, either. Unless you're testing everyone, every day, it's meaningless. Humans don't get to control nature. I know lots of people who are grasping at straws, they are so scared of this. Wash your hands, get exercise, eat well... those things are going to do FAR more for you than whether NJ or Florida does testing.
My friend came over the other night. He did not take his mask off in my apartment until I strongly convinced him to, and he was visibly shaking when I suggested eating at an outdoor restaurant. Needless to say, we picked up pizza while darting into and out of the shop as fast as we could so we wouldn’t catch the virus from the air in there. Why come over then? Sad the way some of these people live.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:32 PM

Yes, we can reopen... everything... but if few people actually show-up, the businesses in question will not make any money.
The public tends to vote with its feet, and very limited foot traffic tells you something about the public's current comfort level--which is low--despite right-wing claims to the contrary.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...bloombergdaily

Old 09-11-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
My friend came over the other night. He did not take his mask off in my apartment until I strongly convinced him to, and he was visibly shaking when I suggested eating at an outdoor restaurant. Needless to say, we picked up pizza while darting into and out of the shop as fast as we could so we wouldn’t catch the virus from the air in there. Why come over then? Sad the way some of these people live.
Have you notified your "friend" that you revile his cautious behavior?
If not, then... why not?
If he is truly a friend, he will understand that you consider him to be a "sad" person, and he will appreciate your feeling that you apparently don't want him to return to your abode unless he changes his behavior, so as to comply with your standards.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,221,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Have you notified your "friend" that you revile his cautious behavior?
If not, then... why not?
If he is truly a friend, he will understand that you consider him to be a "sad" person, and he will appreciate your feeling that you apparently don't want him to return to your abode unless he changes his behavior, so as to comply with your standards.

Took the words right outta my mouth. So odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey