Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 08:42 AM

275 posts, read 214,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
It's not stopping people from the NE to flock there daily. About 1,000 a day and rising.

Reports: Nearly 1,000 people a day are moving to Florida
by Sabrina Lolo, Luli OrtizMonday, September 7th 2020
AA
<p>Reports: Nearly 1,000 people a day are moving to Florida (WPEC){/p}

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) — Florida has seen an influx of people moving to the state, thanks to the coronavirus.

Roughly 950 people move to Florida every day and the state has seen an "unprecedented demand" in luxury home sales as people from the Northeast are abandoning big cities, the Daily Mail reported. The 2020 Miami Report that was released this summer says many of these new residents are coming from areas with high taxes, like New York, Boston, California and Chicago.

“Businesses are changing the way they’re working and doing things and it just allows people to have a quality of life, and down here you can get that. You have privacy, you have land," Daniel Wynick said.

Wynick moved to Boynton Beach from Los Angeles days ago because he wanted to get out of high-taxed areas.
I know 15 close friends from the Insurance, Advisory, and Tech industries from NYC and Long Island that made the move. Since a lot of companies are rolling out a permanent WFH policy, all they have to do is switch from local to remote with their payroll or PEO provider and they will have the best from all worlds. Meaning, a striking NYC salary with rural living expenses......so this is not a surprise. I would have done that myself; as I was given the permanent WFH option and I immediately called my PEO and made the switch to avoid NYC and NYS Income Tax and other payroll taxes, but wife works in an industry that it is too conventional and does not have the ability to pack and leave.

Last edited by EdGuitar; 09-12-2020 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 11:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
1.) It’s kind of hypocritical how people who want the right to go out freely and do whatever they want, maskless even, criticize those who refuse to go out or are overly cautious.

2.) This thread is basically beating a dead horse at this point and needs to be closed.
Nailed it 100%. On both accounts.

They want righteous freedom for everyone to make their own decision but can't keep their mouths shut when others make a decision different from theirs. Amusing.

There are very similar threads on two other local C-D boards I frequent and they were closed 8-10 pages in. This board is an anomaly.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They are the same people who in non-COVID times won't go to a buffet or salad bar.

The governor has nothing to do with their choices.
i think most of them lived normally prior to the coronavirus apocalypse. we had dinner last night that was supposed to be with a few couples. one of them dropped out a couple of days ago and it seems its because they still have fear of the rona and havent been out to a restaurant since it all started. i dont know how many people out there are still on mostly full lockdown but i think it is more than it seems.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:19 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think most of them lived normally prior to the coronavirus apocalypse. we had dinner last night that was supposed to be with a few couples. one of them dropped out a couple of days ago and it seems its because they still have fear of the rona and havent been out to a restaurant since it all started. i dont know how many people out there are still on mostly full lockdown but i think it is more than it seems.
OK. I don't think everyone I know has been out to a restaurant, but even my friend with the heart condition/emphysema/diabetes has gone to the diner with me once and in the past month has gone to CVS and another store for the first time. Yesterday was her 80th birthday, and she spent it with her daughter and grandchildren.

I know another woman who is 86 and recently spent three days at a hotel because she just couldn't stand being stuck home with her 91-year-old husband anymore. He's a pain in the ass. She needed a break.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:22 PM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
[/b]

Yet one post later, you refused to honor your friend's decision to wear a mask in your apartment and spent time "convincing" him to take it off. It sounds like you respect the right and personal freedom of others to make their own decisions only insofar as their decisions align with your own personal belief system. Sounds exactly like what you're complaining about.

I am in doubt that you "convinced him" wearing a mask isn't necessary. I'd wager you bullied him into taking it off by hounding him until he did, versus "convincing" him of anything. Again, does not match the "live and let live" philosophy you claim to live by.
Let’s make something clear. I didn’t say “Take your mask off right now.” I convinced him that I was ok with him taking it off, that I knew I for a fact I wasn’t sick, and that I would stay 6 feet from him at all times, which I did. I think you owe somebody a wager now.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:24 PM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
This virus turned people crazy paranoid i am thankful my friends are level headed. I would of sent him home and told him when he calms down then we can hang out again.

I remember a lady dropping her wallet on the floor and she pulled out a big bottle of lysol and sprayed the heck out of her wallet.
Whenever my mom’s boyfriend comes over for dinner to her house (I moved out about 3 months ago for unrelated reasons), they order takeout since neither of them enjoy cooking. If his fork so much as touches the edge of his food container, he gets a new fork, going through as many as necessary before he manages to not graze the container.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
It's ridiculous that "peaceful protesters" are allowed to loot stores, light stuff on fire, vandalize private/public property and assault people.

But in some states, you can't go to the gym, can't go to the mall, can't go to a sporting event (or play sports), can't go to a concert (or perform music), can't go to an amusement park, can't sit down at a bar or restaurant, etc....

Old 09-14-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
1.) It’s kind of hypocritical how people who want the right to go out freely and do whatever they want, maskless even, criticize those who refuse to go out or are overly cautious.

2.) This thread is basically beating a dead horse at this point and needs to be closed.
its not hypocritical. they are just mocking certain people, not trying to force them to do anything. there is a big difference between criticizing someones actions and supporting the use of law enforcement to force someone to do something.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. I don't think everyone I know has been out to a restaurant, but even my friend with the heart condition/emphysema/diabetes has gone to the diner with me once and in the past month has gone to CVS and another store for the first time. Yesterday was her 80th birthday, and she spent it with her daughter and grandchildren.

I know another woman who is 86 and recently spent three days at a hotel because she just couldn't stand being stuck home with her 91-year-old husband anymore. He's a pain in the ass. She needed a break.
i think that people are going to have mental health issues if they just stay home by themselves. during this ordeal, even when people were almost all locked down, we spent a lot of time with another family and my brothers family. we saw less people, but we spent a lot of time with the ones we saw. it helped us actually enjoy the situation where otherwise i think we would have been going nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey