Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 AM

223 posts, read 796,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Let me state first I am not a liberal or making a claim that I love illegals.

Driving thru Dover's downtown it was hustling and bustling with a latin /spanish/mexican flair. They have seem to build there own little communtiy and most of the shop have some type of latin/spanish influence if not owned by a spanish. now correct me if I am wrong which I could be but have they help business down there. I mean there is shops and people eating, buying I mean its there own little space and maybe it would be a empty burnt out toledo if not for those spanish.
I do not feel scared or nervous walking, i kinda thought it was cool. A simple smile is the universal hello, and they all seem happy. I am proud that they have built a nice little spot. Its better than burnt out empty buildings!! Now am I missing something???[/quote]

In the 1980s I used to drive through Dover and I noticed a fledgling Latin population, but it was still mostly white middle class. So, there weren't "empty buildings" before the la Latin population boom. It was a (sad) case of white flight if you ask me, but what do I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:10 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
I was asking you, all of you what you thought. I really was kinda insulated from all this, so instead I just went with my racial kinda hate speech, now I am kinda growing up a bit in someways, I am just looking and seeing so I appreciate all your ideas and thoughts. Interesting and has been kinda discussed before just I never listened. Thanks all!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
The problem is that most white folks who have never been around the latin community their first reaction is to flee and bad mouth the community while their doing it, there for giving the new community a bad rep. Don't get me wrong, there are some places deserving of such rep but for the most part they're just hard workers. Go keep on shopping, I can tell you this, latin people all the know how to do besides working hard is having fun.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
I started working in Parsippany 15 years ago and didnt think there were any large latino communities outside the urban centers. I dont really consider Dover to be "urban" but it does have a pretty populated downtown. After rumors of people calling it Dover-Rico I went through on my lunch one day and, at that time, saw maybe 4-5 hispanics walking the street. Yet all the locals in my office swore they were a blight to the community and that Dover was now crap and overrun with hispanics (like they were roaches or something).

Today my office is on the outskirts of Dover and I go into town all the time and LOVE the hispanic vibe. The food is awesome, the people are mostly Central American from what I can tell, everyone is always nice and friendly. Being that im only in the area during working hours I have no idea what its like at night or, what the crime rate is, if any, but I definitly wouldnt mind living up here.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Dover isn't bad at all..at one time when Picatinny was really cranking many people employed at picatinny lived in Dover or Wharton.

It was mainly Puerto Rican at first, now it's mostly people from Central & South American residing there..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Dover gets a bad rap but it's not that bad. I'm telling you if you want to have a good time, a great meal, go to any club (not just in dover) and see how it is during latin nights.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Dover gets a bad rap but it's not that bad. I'm telling you if you want to have a good time, a great meal, go to any club (not just in dover) and see how it is during latin nights.
it probably gets a bad rap b/c it's generally considered the "worst" town in Morris County - but in this case, worst is DEFINITELY relative. I'd drive through Dover day or night, it's not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
No it isn't..I've come back into Dover late at night by Train from NYC..not bad at all
Of course just like any where you need to be aware of your surroundings

Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it probably gets a bad rap b/c it's generally considered the "worst" town in Morris County - but in this case, worst is DEFINITELY relative. I'd drive through Dover day or night, it's not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination.
I find it amusing that it's considered the worst town in morris cty. I hope people don't say/think that because of the large hispanic population but instead for (and this is just MOPO) the property lots are small and seem to be bunched all together and I don't like that, I prefer a bit more space for myself between my neighbors and me.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
I find it amusing that it's considered the worst town in morris cty. I hope people don't say/think that because of the large hispanic population but instead for (and this is just MOPO) the property lots are small and seem to be bunched all together and I don't like that, I prefer a bit more space for myself between my neighbors and me.
i'd say because the schools are the worst performing and crime is highest (I'm not sure about that though) ... but again, dover isn't bad AT.ALL. if that's the worst morris county has to offer, we're in pretty good shape, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey