Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM

43 posts, read 175,529 times

Advertisements

If I want to build a deck in my backyard (single family house), do I need to get approval from the county?

Will my property tax be increased by adding a deck?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Yes, and most likely yes. If the deck will be attached to the house (most are) it needs a permit. Some towns will let you avoid the permit if the deck is freestanding (all on posts with no connection to the house- something I don't advise unless you're really good at structural engineering). The tax increase depends on the town as well, but most will ding you eventually, since you've increased the value of your property.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:41 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshum88 View Post
If I want to build a deck in my backyard (single family house), do I need to get approval from the county?

Will my property tax be increased by adding a deck?
Approval from your local construction dept. and zoning officer. And yes, your taxes will go up but not much..couple hundred . Actually, mine went up by about $500/yr. but that included the pool. They went back down again this year by about the same

Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
I just had one of my neighbors turned down for a deck permit because it covered too much of the back yard. He's going with a patio now, patios are not taxed.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
I just had one of my neighbors turned down for a deck permit because it covered too much of the back yard. He's going with a patio now, patios are not taxed.
That's because they are not classed as a permanent structure. Are they going concrete or pavers? Watch out for the max. % of impervious surface zoning requirements!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
That strikes me as odd. The issue with covering a percentage of the property is usually a water permeability issue. They want to make sure that water can get into the ground & drain properly. So they set limits on "impervious coverage". A deck, because it is usually raised off the ground, and allows water to flow through & under it, does not USUALLY fall into the impervious coverage category. A patio, which is usually situated on or even IN the ground, with a layer of weed blocking black plastic, and often set with a layer of concrete, is much more often impervious coverage. How is it that yuor friend was not allowed a deck, but is being allowed a patio?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
That strikes me as odd. The issue with covering a percentage of the property is usually a water permeability issue. They want to make sure that water can get into the ground & drain properly. So they set limits on "impervious coverage". A deck, because it is usually raised off the ground, and allows water to flow through & under it, does not USUALLY fall into the impervious coverage category. A patio, which is usually situated on or even IN the ground, with a layer of weed blocking black plastic, and often set with a layer of concrete, is much more often impervious coverage. How is it that yuor friend was not allowed a deck, but is being allowed a patio?
I have a feeling it's more of a "setback" issue - not coverage issue.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I was told that PAVERS aren't considered permanent and won't increase your taxes but that concrete is permanent and will increase them. Of course, it was the paver guy that told me that, so I'd double check.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I was told that PAVERS aren't considered permanent and won't increase your taxes but that concrete is permanent and will increase them. Of course, it was the paver guy that told me that, so I'd double check.
I've actually heard that as well...

Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
We're going wild with ourselves and doing concrete anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey