Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:31 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Meant to mention Glen Ridge @5, Maplewood @89, and Bloomfield @181 for localities in Essex Co. with a lot of recent NYC transplants. Does SO send HS students to Columbia HS (Maplewood)?
yes, it is a shared HS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
That all being said I think most of the schools in Northern New Jersey can turn out great collage ready students, if the students and parents are willing to make the effort.
I'm ready to make collages!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBoyer View Post
That list is ok, I dare say that there is likely not 2 cents worth of difference between the quality of #1 and #20 though.

Being a REALTOR I deal with all types of people and parents. Many are extremely concerned with the quality of schools and will exclude many towns because the schools in them did not score top 50 on lists like that, and gravitate to towns that place high on that list. These parents to me also seem to be very involved in their children's lives and unwilling to accept good enough from their children or their children's teachers.

That all being said I think most of the schools in Northern New Jersey can turn out great collage ready students, if the students and parents are willing to make the effort.
Great post!

I would rep you but the system is saying I gave out too much in the past 24 hrs!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I'm ready to make collages!
Well good luck to you! How did the 1st day go?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 PM

505 posts, read 1,762,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Great post!

I would rep you but the system is saying I gave out too much in the past 24 hrs!
I kind of agree with the poster in that there probably not a lot of difference between #1 and 20. However- there is a difference, albeit it small, no matter how you slice it. While the means of creating any list is going to have its methodology scrutinized I think that the factors that CAN be measured are represented well. There will always be people out there who want the best school district their money can buy, so, even though some places kay have 'moxy' or might be 'close enough' you can explain it away, but the difference is there.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I kind of agree with the poster in that there probably not a lot of difference between #1 and 20. However- there is a difference, albeit it small, no matter how you slice it. While the means of creating any list is going to have its methodology scrutinized I think that the factors that CAN be measured are represented well. There will always be people out there who want the best school district their money can buy, so, even though some places kay have 'moxy' or might be 'close enough' you can explain it away, but the difference is there.
True... very true. And let's not forget another thing, you could graduate from #1 and wind up going no where or you could end up graduating from #300 and be a huge successs. A lot is what you put into it.

That said, you are definately going to have a better chance if you go to a better school... the odds are with you on that.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:06 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Great point, totally correct. In Moorestown, the kids are under trememdous pressure to succeed academically and they often do. That's why it has among the highest % of students in AP classes in the state. And also why Moorestown Friends with combined SATs of 1,900 (new scale) is one of the highest in the state - private or public.
Millburn is#1

Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times
Yes, for public schools. Moorestown friends is a private school with higher SAT scores.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM

707 posts, read 1,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I think there's a third point- the people in those towns actually give a **** about the education their kids receive, and push them to succeed, while in the poorer areas, the kids don't have that type of support.
BoBKovacs,

I have to disagree with the statement that the parents in the poorer area's do not push their children when it comes to their education. I recently moved to Bloomfield from Paterson because of the lack of support and funds the teachers receive from the City as well as State to effectively do their job.
Education is the first funding to be cut, the class rooms are seriously over crowded, add to that the extremely old school buildings. Last year, there were only 2 - 8th grade classes for 85 students in my daughters grammer school, thankfully there are programs like Sylvan learning center where many of the parents in that school district are willing to pay to ensure their children are not left behind.

We push, unfortunately, we have to push differently than those parents in the suburbs.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM

267 posts, read 950,217 times
I also think that the methodology used in a ranking like this is a bit gray. If they can post some exact formula, then everyone would be satisfied because the numbers would not lie.

I hate to say it, but I almost feel a North Jersey bias going on there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey