Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,984,450 times

Advertisements

Never underestimate the ability of a thread on city-data to become completely absurd. I suggest that any of you who find fault with these police officers refrain from calling the police if YOUR car is ever stolen. See how that works out for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
If this was Texas (where you are allowed to protect your property) and the theif stole my car, the girl would still be alive. Id have a ton of blood to clean out of my car and some body work to fix the bullet holes, but the girl would still be alive.
Here we have the other bizarre extreme. Yeah sure, I bet you would have snuffed that guy's life out like flipping off a light switch Rambo. I wholeheartedly believe in the right to carry and defend myself and I wish I was allowed that right here in New Jersey. I just PRAY that I'd never have to actually use it. If I did, I certainly wouldn't do it to simply protect property-that's ridiculous. Where do you draw the line Rob? Would you kill someone for walking off with your TV set? How about a couple of splits out of your woodpile? The newspaper? Please people, snap back to reality...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,956,691 times
I'm friends with the Chief in our town, I'm going to call him tonight to discuss.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 PM

13,407 posts, read 28,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
hey thats the truth!! Another story huh kate. Well Im done anyway.

Not you per se..the thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,357,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
How so the cops...every article I've read says they weren't chasing just following?? owner even lost sight of him because the crook was speeding & driving erratic

All I can say is KUDOS to Law Enforcement out there you are between a rock and a hard place, because you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't
My hat's off to all of you
So sorry I can't rep you again.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,759,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Here we have the other bizarre extreme. Yeah sure, I bet you would have snuffed that guy's life out like flipping off a light switch Rambo. I wholeheartedly believe in the right to carry and defend myself and I wish I was allowed that right here in New Jersey. I just PRAY that I'd never have to actually use it. If I did, I certainly wouldn't do it to simply protect property-that's ridiculous. Where do you draw the line Rob? Would you kill someone for walking off with your TV set? How about a couple of splits out of your woodpile? The newspaper? Please people, snap back to reality...
Where did I say I would kill him?

About 13 years ago I got in a TON of trouble, locked up for a while because of it, and learned many of NJ's gun laws the hard way. I felt the house shake at 3am and looked out of the bedroom window to see my brand new car crashed into the house and 3 guys around my car taking stuff from the trunk. I ran downstairs to confront them with gun in hand. 2 were loading my stereo equipment into their van and the third charged me. I shot the one who charged in the shoulder and the other 2 dropped my stuff and took off running. "I" got arrested for unlawful discharge of a firearm within city limits, attempted murder, and reckless endagerment. I was eventually cleared (without a trial) but I would do it again in a heart beat. No Rambo tactics, just defending myself and my property, screw the criminals rights.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,176 times
Quote:
screw the criminals rights.
Uh oh - EEEEP is gonna tear you a new one now....

You started the Iraq war.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,984,450 times
Quote:
Shoot to kill or don't shoot at all.

Quote:
About 13 years ago I got in a TON of trouble, locked up for a while because of it, and learned many of NJ's gun laws the hard way. I felt the house shake at 3am and looked out of the bedroom window to see my brand new car crashed into the house and 3 guys around my car taking stuff from the trunk. I ran downstairs to confront them with gun in hand. 2 were loading my stereo equipment into their van and the third charged me. I shot the one who charged in the shoulder and the other 2 dropped my stuff and took off running. "I" got arrested for unlawful discharge of a firearm within city limits, attempted murder, and reckless endagerment. I was eventually cleared (without a trial) but I would do it again in a heart beat. No Rambo tactics, just defending myself and my property, screw the criminals rights.
BIG BIG difference between this situation and what I had referenced. You absolutely did the right thing, which is proved by the fact that you were cleared. I'm talking about shooting a guy as he's running away from you with your DVD player...THAT is ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,956,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Uh oh - EEEEP is gonna tear you a new one now....

You started the Iraq war.
No I'm not... as I told Kate before you guys only know me from the conversations on this board - which have topics that we seem to beat to death. On some issues, I have much more moderate, and dare I say even conservative.

Criminal rights - after convicted through due process... I'd surprise you.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,497,672 times
Quote:

Rob - What a difference a state makes. Here in NC, you would not have been charged with anything. As long as that gun was "registered" and the guy came after you, the "discharging a firearm within city limits" would be thrown out! While NC does not have a codified "Castle doctrine" per se, it tends to be "very forgiving" in such circumstances. You might have ended up on TV as a "local hero"! I'm one of those people who believe my possesions are a part of me and that anyone taking them is, in essence, "kidnapping a part of me". I would not consider people who steal my stuff "human" and if they died in an attempt to rob me, I don't think I would shed a tear or feel the least bit guilty over their demise! No great loss to me, or the world in general. It's like getting rid of a rabid dog!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,759,150 times
In NJ you are not allowed to even pull out your weapon unless your life is at risk - AND - you must first make reasonable effort to remove yourself and your family from harms way BEFORE you fire - AND - ONLY if the criminal is inside your house. If they are not in your house or have fled your house prior to you pulling the trigger YOU have just committed an illegal act.

"I" dont feel I did anything wrong altho my actions were in fact illegal. Im glad I was not convicted but if the idiot was not already wanted, if he didnt give up his buddies, if he decided to press charges, if one of my friends was not a cop, if my uncle didnt know the prosecutor, I would probably still be locked up and possibly be writing this from inside a prison somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey