Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times

Advertisements

[quote=EEEPNJ;5733330]That's only because you don't know me. It totally depends on the issue. You only "know" me on the issues we debate here. On others, I have different POVs. My sister has actually ACCUSED me of being a closet Republican (damn her! lol) at times. LOL[/QUOTE]

true dat, but as for the bolded part..oh my the horror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
How so the cops...every article I've read says they weren't chasing just following?? owner even lost sight of him because the crook was speeding & driving erratic

All I can say is KUDOS to Law Enforcement out there you are between a rock and a hard place, because you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't
My hat's off to all of you
Disagree that it was handled right here Kate, but I don't always disagree w/ you on this issue.

There was a case in Wayne, that I can't find on line anywhere now, a few years back where I totally sided w/ the police...who are now being sued... Have to find it...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:33 AM

[quote=njkate;5733357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
That's only because you don't know me. It totally depends on the issue. You only "know" me on the issues we debate here. On others, I have different POVs. My sister has actually ACCUSED me of being a closet Republican (damn her! lol) at times. LOL[/QUOTE]

true dat, but as for the bolded part..oh my the horror
I've reprimanded her. LOL

Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,719,422 times
Very tragic story indeed.

What I found amusing is that the car thief chose to steal a decade old Benz. I'm surprised that the car actually made it past 30 MPH without falling apart into a pile of bolts. I should know...I owned two.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 AM

You have a point Hoboken.

The owner left his keys in the car, so that may have been a lure...

the worst part is a child is dead and another fighting for their life now.

THAT is the only really sad thing about this story.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,525,108 times
Quote:
Marilyn,

I'm so shaken up over this. My kids are in school not far from here, and this morning there was so much media and police activity, when I heard....

It was actually THE OWNER of the car who started the pursuit. THen the police got involved. I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. Dear God it's a freaking HUNK OF METAL and if it is insured you will get the $ back for it. LET IT GO. Now a 10 yr old girl is dead, her family ruined forever, and there are others fighting for their life.

The jackass that stole the car is being charged w/ homicide (as well he should be) but I'd charge the jackass owner of the car as well. HE is not a police officer, HE is not trained to do this, THIS is why we have a freaking outrageous budget FOR police in the state of NJ...call them let them handle it.

Sickening!

Here is the link:

NorthJersey.com: High-speed crash kills 10-year-old, leaves teen critical (http://www.northjersey.com/news/One_person_dead_in_high-speed_crash.html - broken link)
what bothers me the most is at rush hour in that area you know how crowded it is!! I mean you just cant do a chase in that area, at that time without someone getting killed!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Steve, you're jumping to really silly conclusions there, and making accusations & allusions that are really out of place.
The police did not kill this girl. The CRIMINAL did.
Let's look at this, shall we?
THE CRIMINAL stole some guys car.
THE CRIMINAL took off at a high rate of speed when the owner of that car followed him in his other car.
THE CRIMINAL lost a front tire and kept driving at a high and dangerous speed.
The police, according to the article in the Record, "were following but not chasing."
THE CRIMINAL crashed the STOLEN CAR into the car of these innocent victims.

So, who is to blame for this tragedy? Let's all say it together, shall we... THE CRIMINAL.
What would you have to police do? Ignore the CRIMINAL as he drives away in the stolen car? So you can complain later about how these overpaid cops didn't go after this criminal, but instead pulled you over because you were speeding?
The cops didn't kill this kid, and shame on you for saying they did.
And of course you're going to get grief for this post, because it's way out of line. It's clear to anyone who reads this that you have an issue with the police. And that's fine. Go on about how some police don't do their jobs right. It's true, and we'll all acknowledge that. But this is going to far, Steve. You can't pin the death of this poor girl on the police.
soory I knew I would get flack for that one, but they should not have started the chase. Are you familiar with that area! Holy crap, its crowded as heck and come on what chasing the guy, let the guy go, sit back and wait on it for god sake. I do think the cops are too blame also!!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
what bothers me the most is at rush hour in that area you know how crowded it is!! I mean you just cant do a chase in that area, at that time without someone getting killed!
New Bridge Road is INSANELY crowded at Rush Hour and pursuit of ANYONE who was not armed and dangerous is ABSOLUTELY absurd.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,673,563 times
Quote:
THAT is my point.
Oh. My. God. No.

The car thief was driving recklessly, regardless of the involvement of others.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
If you read my post I SAID the criminal is culpable too. BUT in case you have not watched the news since 1990 - there have been MANY high speed chases that lead to death. The guy stole a CAR. He was not wanted for MURDER. Do you think maybe, just maybe a better outcome would have been the car is stolen, maybe it's found, maybe it's not, maybe insurance pays for it, maybe it's doesn't. BUT A 10 YR OLD GIRL IS ALIVE.

Because honestly, I've had thing stolen from me. And it sucks. But you know what, the VICTIM in this story is the 10 yr old girl and her family and the 14 yr old fighting for his life. I really am not shedding any tears for the Merecedes ower - who - in case you didn't realize - is out of his precious car now ANYWAY>
I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey