Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,846 times

Advertisements

What do you guys make of this? SCARY that it's come to this, the potential end of GM, Chrystler and Ford on the rocks as well.

While I did not like the government bailouts of the finacial institutions, still ticks me off, but I DO think it was needed to stave off even greater financial hardship (I don't like how it's being handled, but that's another story...)

But now AMEX is asking for money...the car dealers want a bail out.

I really do understand the ramifications of major US automakers shutting down... but come on... how much can private industry expect the goverment (US) to take on?

It's really getting absurd out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,719,422 times
Decades of mismanagement, decades of UAW bullying, decades of building purely crappy vehicles made this the perfect storm. I say the government lets most of the Big 3 sink...not all, but most. Pontiac, Hummer, Buick, and GMC can be cut, but my big gripe is how management didn't want to hear what kind of cars we wanted to drive. Instead, they gave the green light on what that thought we should drive.

Another issue that is beyond my comprehension is this...

Take a Honda Accord and a Chevy Malibu. Same size, about the same price, but the Honda has legendary quality and stronger resale, AND it's a profitable vehicle. The Malibu is marginal on turning a profit. Why? Well, the Accord is built with non-union workers. The guy screwing in the headlights is making 20 dollars an hour...a fair price for that skill set. The UAW worker doing the same job? 42 dollars/hour PLUS little to no employee pension contribution and little to no employee pay-in to their health plans. It just doesn't make sense.

So while the Accord and Malibu are similar, Honda turned a nice profit on the Accord. Chevrolet barely made money on the Malibu. So, as the years dragged on, Honda built a nice war chest. GM was too busy giving in to union demands with bloated wages.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 PM

I also want to add that whomever accepts a bailout needs to have their CEO, CIO, CFO, and COO resign immediately with no severance and no golden parachutes.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
All good points and on the money, HG.

When you mix bad management and hidebound unions you will have a formula for failure.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Decades of mismanagement, decades of UAW bullying, decades of building purely crappy vehicles made this the perfect storm. I say the government lets most of the Big 3 sink...not all, but most. Pontiac, Hummer, Buick, and GMC can be cut, but my big gripe is how management didn't want to hear what kind of cars we wanted to drive. Instead, they gave the green light on what that thought we should drive.

Another issue that is beyond my comprehension is this...

Take a Honda Accord and a Chevy Malibu. Same size, about the same price, but the Honda has legendary quality and stronger resale, AND it's a profitable vehicle. The Malibu is marginal on turning a profit. Why? Well, the Accord is built with non-union workers. The guy screwing in the headlights is making 20 dollars an hour...a fair price for that skill set. The UAW worker doing the same job? 42 dollars/hour PLUS little to no employee pension contribution and little to no employee pay-in to their health plans. It just doesn't make sense.

So while the Accord and Malibu are similar, Honda turned a nice profit on the Accord. Chevrolet barely made money on the Malibu. So, as the years dragged on, Honda built a nice war chest. GM was too busy giving in to union demands with bloated wages.

Unions screw everyone. Just the American way.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM

468 posts, read 580,822 times
Good. I hope they stop making cars,we got more than enough!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
They should lend the money, not give it away.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
They should lend the money, not give it away.
That is spot-on. LEND it!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM

468 posts, read 580,822 times
Yea lend the money and create yet more debt...lending money in this country is like lending to your friend that you know is never gonna pay it back...

Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,496,217 times
Get rid of the UAW and then we talk about it....maybe BUT the unions MUST GO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey