Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

32 posts, read 90,387 times

Advertisements

I wonder if any other cities in NJ get such passionate discussions. It's good that people are giving their opinions to researchers. However, researchers/potential movers need to visit (several times) Jersey City neighborhoods themselves and see if they feel comfortable with the different areas. Everyone has a different perspective and tolerance level...so they people should judge themselves and just take into consideration they are different opinions out here.
Can't we all just get alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Well then you should have asked last week.
My in laws live on 2nd St.
I had to go up to "The Square" for something as well. My kid stopped in and saw Dootz at 2nd St Bakery. I went to Hoboken to Carlo's for pastry.

This subject goes around and around.
The same people (those who have lived in their little area in JC for less than a few years) tell ME what JC is all about.
This guy Tommy seems not to be the guy that I would want to take info from. It took me months to find out that not has he only lived there for about 30 months but that he has already had his car vandalized.
He puts "titles" on the area of JC that he lives. Listen Jersey City is Jersey City...live with it. I doubt that you will ever walk Monticello Ave, Ocean Ave or even Garfield Ave at night. I doubt that you will ever find Gifford Ave or Ege Ave because you will avoid it like the plague. And before you come back with "but this is a City" don't waste your breath.

Why ask ME about JC?
I worked there for years. I grew up in the next City over (Bayonne). I still visit Jersey City. This post is to help a couple out, not to question me on why I tell the truth.

And if Tommy ever read what I wrote he would see that my in laws have had TWO cars stolen, and this was right in front of their house in "Historic Downtown Jersey City"!

First of all, seeing one incident in 3 years of living in a CITY is not significant. Especially when it's as petty as car vandalism.

Secondly, I'm sure the person who is asking about Jersey City is more interested to hear from people WHO LIVE HERE (no matter how long that may be) over somebody who has NEVER lived here (you). Living somewhere is a LOT different from working somewhere and occasionally visiting. And I think after 3 years I have a good handle on how things are here.

Fischfan - coincidentally, the 4 people on this thread who LIVE in Downtown Jersey City have given very, very positive reviews. The one person on this thread giving negative reviews (you) has never lived here. That's interesting. BLACKBERRY, please take note of that. This Fischfan character has an agenda.

Lastly, Fischfan, your comment that Jersey City is Jersey City is so outright ridiculous. No, people from my neighborhood don't walk to Garfield Ave. Why would they? What would the reason be? Just like people from the Hill, or B-L would not come to MY neighborhood. There is no reason to. Cities are made up of completely different neighborhoods. Is Harlem equivalent to Midtown NYC? Is Morningside Heights equivalent to the East Village? In fact, those neighborhoods have nothing in common. Just like Downtown Jersey City has nothing in common with some other JC neighborhoods, many of which are garbage.

I have worked and spent time in ALL areas of Jersey City. Don't write me off as someone who is afraid to venture out to other neighborhoods.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,172 times
Quote:
Wait, I thought you lived in Bayonne. Bayonne seems pretty suburban to me. And how long ago did you live there?
Bayonne seems surburban to you?
It is not called the "City" of Bayonne for nothing.
How long did I live there?...If you read this post you would have seen 30 years.
As for the rest of what you wrote, I wont even waste the space...

Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,172 times
Quote:
Secondly, I'm sure the person who is asking about Jersey City is more interested to hear from people WHO LIVE HERE (no matter how long that may be) over somebody who has NEVER lived here (you). Living somewhere is a LOT different from working somewhere and occasionally visiting. And I think after 3 years I have a good handle on how things are here.
By now we all have figured out who is biased and who is not.

BB good luck.
Keep me updated!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:25 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Bayonne seems surburban to you?
It is not called the "City" of Bayonne for nothing.
Yes, it's suburban in my view. I don't base that on the official designation, but what the homes are like in an area, what the businesses are like, how it's laid out, etc. There are parts of Jersey City that I'd call suburban, too.
Quote:
How long did I live there?...If you read this post you would have seen 30 years.
If you would have read the post you were quoting (well, and if you would have gotten the content, which was about history not mattering for these inquiries), you would have seen the word "ago".
Quote:
As for the rest of what you wrote, I wont even waste the space...
Translation: "I have no way of responding to it that won't look foolish, so I'll pretend that I think it would be a waste of space to respond to it."

Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM

32 posts, read 90,387 times
I have to agree with the guys on this one fischfan...Bayonne is definitely a suburb compared to Manhattan and parts of Jersey City. Even parts of Brooklyn, Queens, definitely Staten Island would be considdred suburb-like. I'm in Bayonne working now (temporarily).
Again it all depends on your perspective! If you asked someone from West Virginia, Bayonne is a city...if you ask someone from NYC, Jersey City, Bayonne is a suburb.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 PM

59 posts, read 196,499 times
Thanks all for your opinion and help.After all the discussion in this thread we have decided to move to jersey city particularly in the hamilton park,vanvorst park or exchange place area.We talked to few realtors,they said that nothing is possible in our price range ($2100/mo for 2BR) as we are looking for dishwasher and washer/dryer in the unit,even not in the brownstones.Is it true?Or are we being fool as we are away from the place?Isnt really possible to get a brownstone apt in that area with our price range and criteria?Please help us.

Thanks,
BB

Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry_007 View Post
Thanks all for your opinion and help.After all the discussion in this thread we have decided to move to jersey city particularly in the hamilton park,vanvorst park or exchange place area.We talked to few realtors,they said that nothing is possible in our price range ($2100/mo for 2BR) as we are looking for dishwasher and washer/dryer in the unit,even not in the brownstones.Is it true?Or are we being fool as we are away from the place?Isnt really possible to get a brownstone apt in that area with our price range and criteria?Please help us.

Thanks,
BB
Yeah, you're probably not only not going to find a brownstone in that price range, I doubt you'll find any two bedroom apartment in that price range that has a washer and dryer in the unit. You can find apartments in that price range and below in this area, but you're going to be compromising on something in addition to the washer/dryer. Either it's going to be smaller than you'd ideally like, and/or it's going to be in a building that's not in such great shape and/or it's going to be further from your desired area. You're not going to get a renovated two bedroom apartment with a bunch of amenities that's not a walk-up, etc. in the area you're looking at for that price.

You need to decide what features you can most easily compromise on. Can you do a one bedroom or a studio? Is it okay if the building/apartment isn't all posh and new-looking? Do you mind being a bit further out from your target area, or even looking at a different area of the city altogether (like the Journal Square area or the Heights)?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,727 times
Renovated Condo with Private Deck + Largr Shared Yard (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/949927235.html - broken link)

Small, but it has 2 bedrooms and a washer and dryer.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM

59 posts, read 196,499 times
Thanks Tungsten_udder for your response,we are not intending to shift the place as i heard that they are the best place in jersey city (safety wise),we are not looking for posh or new looking,we planning to move in an unit that has the convenience of work like dishwasher,washer/dryer etc.We wont mind if we get one bedroom+den or small two bedrooms in that price range,is it possible?

Thanks,
BB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey