Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Where in Rockaway?? What are they like?? Are they a fully stocked grocer like Shop rite

It is on Rt 46 kind of halfway between the Denville line and Wayne Tile if you are familiar with the area. It is in a plaza that is also going to hold a Huffman Koos (sp?) furniture store.

They are... ok. Like I said, hardly any name brands and they are not fully stocked like a Shop Rite. But they do have some produce, cereals, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm not going to say what everyone doesn't already know, but with a little time committment, you can save a lot on groceries. Our family of 4 averages about $95/week. I keep track of how much we spend and I average about 35% savings each week over the year.

Stock up on sale items. If GG veggies are $1/box, get 10 or more. If English Muffins are $1.99/12 pack, buy a few and throw them in the freezer. I drink Diet Snapple and 12 packs are on sale every 5 weeks or so (about 1/2 price), and I buy 4 at a time and will actually go back one or two more days to get more. Stock up on hamburger meat and chicken when it's 1/2 price. Sales usually rotate every 5-6 weeks, so if something's on sale, you can be sure it'll be on sale again in about 1.5 months. Obviously this assumes you have room.

Make a weekly menu! This will save a TON of money. Only buy what you need, and plan your menu around sales. I almost always make enough for 2 nights, and even sometimes make more and freeze it. Not only do you save money, you'll eat better b/c you won't waste time trying to figure out what to eat only to say "F*** it, let me heat up a Hot Pocket.". Get a crockpot and USE it!!!

I shop at A&P and find it cheaper, believe it or not, than Shop Wrong. A&P has much better sales, and since I shop sales, it ends up being less expensive. Plus, it's a nicer store (at least here). I don't like Weis' selection. I don't have Wegman's (I almost thank God for that!) nor an Aldi near me.

Try to use up any leftovers you have. Bananas going bad? Throw them in the freezer and make a loaf of banana bread. Stuff like that.

I do The Grocery Game. I get a weekly list that pairs items up with coupons and lets you know rock bottom prices.

Take advantage of Triple Coupons.

This doesn't take me long, I do it while sitting watching TV, but we probably save $50/week.

Absolutely!! I agree with A&P having better sales most of the time and stocking up. My husband has enough deoderant in the closet for probably 2 years, but I had coupons, and it was onsale and I got it for $.50 when it's normally over $3 (RightGuard). LOL. And we definately stock up the freezer.

Like somebody else said too, I stay away from the processed foods. The money I save I put toward the fresh produce. It's more of a mind trick then anything (I can spend $2 on a bag of chips or get 2lbs of grapes when they are $.99/lb) I also try to get my produce from the local market instead of the food store...much better prices.

It's all about the time you want to put into it. When I have to buy diapers and formula (like now) taking the time to scan the ads and clip the coupons to save on what the rest of use-making up for what I HAVE to spend for the things that are rarely discounted-makes sense for us.

Oh-and don't disregard the rite-aids and cvs' by you. They have really good deals on make up and other hygiene items. Rite Aid has a bogo for Revlon items and there is a $2 coupon out there.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM

72 posts, read 309,209 times
We spend about $800 a month on food shopping (family of 4) and that includes paper products, laundry detergent, shampoo, Pull Ups for the kids, etc. I shop at Shop Rite and BJ's every week and occasionally A&P and Genuardi's if their sales are good. I sit down every week with all the circulars and plan my route for the week. I always use coupons. When there's a really good sale, I stock up and not just buy one item - I'll buy the max allowed. I could open a mini-mart in my house with all the stuff I have. ShopRite just had chicken leg quarters on sale for $.49/lb (awesome price) and I stocked up for future chicken stock and soup making. We have an extra freezer in the garage and it's loaded with sale items (meats, frozen pizzas, frozen veggies, bread). I couldn't live without it. It's a game for me to try and save as much as I can each week. I only go food shopping once a week. If I run out of something, I do without it until it's time to go again.

Tahiti - I read the message boards at the Grocery Game website - do you really save a lot of money? I've been thinking about joining.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Absolutely!! I agree with A&P having better sales most of the time and stocking up. My husband has enough deoderant in the closet for probably 2 years, but I had coupons, and it was onsale and I got it for $.50 when it's normally over $3 (RightGuard). LOL. And we definately stock up the freezer.

Like somebody else said too, I stay away from the processed foods. The money I save I put toward the fresh produce. It's more of a mind trick then anything (I can spend $2 on a bag of chips or get 2lbs of grapes when they are $.99/lb) I also try to get my produce from the local market instead of the food store...much better prices.

It's all about the time you want to put into it. When I have to buy diapers and formula (like now) taking the time to scan the ads and clip the coupons to save on what the rest of use-making up for what I HAVE to spend for the things that are rarely discounted-makes sense for us.

Oh-and don't disregard the rite-aids and cvs' by you. They have really good deals on make up and other hygiene items. Rite Aid has a bogo for Revlon items and there is a $2 coupon out there.
YES!!! LOL!!! Same here with the deoderant! Also I swear, we must have 20 tubes of toothpaste, none over .50 cents each. My husband has put a moratorium on toothpaste purchases. We also have a ton of shampoo.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
YES!!! LOL!!! Same here with the deoderant! Also I swear, we must have 20 tubes of toothpaste, none over .50 cents each. My husband has put a moratorium on toothpaste purchases. We also have a ton of shampoo.
LOL. We use colgate so I get it for free when it's on sale and there's a double coupon. Like somebody else said...it's totally a game for me at this point to see how much I can save.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
It is on Rt 46 kind of halfway between the Denville line and Wayne Tile if you are familiar with the area. It is in a plaza that is also going to hold a Huffman Koos (sp?) furniture store.

They are... ok. Like I said, hardly any name brands and they are not fully stocked like a Shop Rite. But they do have some produce, cereals, etc.
Just stopped in at Aldi's in Rockaway... it's like a grocery dollar store..lol. I was a little concerned with the "unknown" name brand but I have to say... I bought some mini apple pies...0.39/each - and they are as good if not better than hostess! We bought some no name chocolate bars as well and B&C - the chocolate expert said they were almost as good as British choc!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM

612 posts, read 1,011,223 times
the key to cutting down your food budget it to shop at local farmers markets, fish markets and small butcher shops. You cut out the middle man.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
How do you allocate a booze budget!!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
My wife and i budget about 400 a month for food, including eating out, and we usually spend all of it and a little more. we only eat out a few times a month, and that is usually chipotle ($15 for 2) i tried to make bread as much as possible. a huge loaf of bread homemade is like...1 dollar - store is usually at least 3 bucks. we buy almost all organic food and it is definitely pricey. $6/gallon of milk. i was seriously trying to find out if we could get a cow or even chickens but I don't think the town allows it hehe

we see a huge discrepancy of prices between stores. one thing that is ALWAYS $3.99 is $5.99 at the other store, for example.

OJ is another pricey one, at the rate we go through it.
We drink OJ like crazy as well. I just started buying the minute maid frozen from concentrate with calcium................my kids informed me they like it better than the fresh stuff I'd been spending a fortune on....go figure

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
How do you allocate a booze budget!!
coors light ...
Ok, NEVER! I just drink less . Have you tried the latest - "Dirty Bastid"... it's expensive but excellent. Reminds me of Newcastle Brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey