Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,955,616 times

Advertisements

We shop at Shoprite mostly and I make a trip to Costco once a month. What do you guys think about Costco for prices and quality? I use their coupons but I always spend at least $100 when I'm done. I always get their eggs and bb chicken for $4.99. The chicken is 2 meals for us. So that's stuff I don't need from SR. I go to Wegmans for a few items, but they are expensive on most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,621,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
We shop at Shoprite mostly and I make a trip to Costco once a month. What do you guys think about Costco for prices and quality? I use their coupons but I always spend at least $100 when I'm done. I always get their eggs and bb chicken for $4.99. The chicken is 2 meals for us. So that's stuff I don't need from SR. I go to Wegmans for a few items, but they are expensive on most.
Top this! Package of hot dogs (8) and a package of buns (8).... $1.50! that was Aldi's today - looks like we can eat for two days off of those

Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,931,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post

I think it depends. I use BJ's but am told by Costco using co-workers, they're comprable. Dairy products like milk and eggs are generally more affordable at the warehouse store. I read an article recently saying that they take a hit on those things knowing most people will buy more than just milk and eggs once they get in the store. As far as the meats...it depends on what you need and what's on sale at the regular supermarket. A lot of times the sale price at Shoprite or A&P is better than the price at the warehouse. That goes for papertowels and stuff like that as well. Without a sale, the BJ's is better, but if my shoprite or A&p has a big package of paper towls or TP on sale, that's a way better deal. I only use $1+ coupons at BJ's because they aren't doubled at the supermarket.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,931,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Top this! Package of hot dogs (8) and a package of buns (8).... $1.50! that was Aldi's today - looks like we can eat for two days off of those
As long as those aren't mystery meat hotdogs (could be redundant, I know), then I say-good job!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
coors light ...
Ok, NEVER! I just drink less . Have you tried the latest - "Dirty Bastid"... it's expensive but excellent. Reminds me of Newcastle Brown.
Saw it about 3 weeks ago at a liquor store (yes there a couple in NM). It was about 10 bucks for a six pack. I passed.

Then again, if it was between that and the Coors Light, I'd get the dirty bastid. I'd rather buy tom cat pi$s than Coors Light.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Saw it about 3 weeks ago at a liquor store (yes there a couple in NM). It was about 10 bucks for a six pack. I passed.

Then again, if it was between that and the Coors Light, I'd get the dirty bastid. I'd rather buy tom cat pi$s than Coors Light.
get a kegerator (sp)???

Old 02-10-2009, 01:56 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I think it depends. I use BJ's but am told by Costco using co-workers, they're comprable. Dairy products like milk and eggs are generally more affordable at the warehouse store. I read an article recently saying that they take a hit on those things knowing most people will buy more than just milk and eggs once they get in the store. As far as the meats...it depends on what you need and what's on sale at the regular supermarket. A lot of times the sale price at Shoprite or A&P is better than the price at the warehouse. That goes for papertowels and stuff like that as well. Without a sale, the BJ's is better, but if my shoprite or A&p has a big package of paper towls or TP on sale, that's a way better deal. I only use $1+ coupons at BJ's because they aren't doubled at the supermarket.
We are shopping twins! I agree 100%! Dairy is a definite loss leader, but I find paper products and detergent to be overpriced at warehouse. Meat and chicken are usually a great deal (sometimes A&P will have a better sale).

Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM

612 posts, read 1,011,753 times
if any of you live in the Mercer County area, Halo Farms (a dairy farm) is definitely a way to save on Dairy. I think a carton of milk costs $1.33 and it's so much better than whatever you get in the supermarket. Eggs, Butter, Cream, OJ, Apple Cider, it's all dirt cheap there and it's such better quality. Also, the real steal is their ice cream. 3 pints for 5 dollars. Kinda hard to beat. It's next to the Trenton Farmers market, which is also a great place to stock up on high quality produce/meats at bargain prices.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:52 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,621,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Next time, read the statement on the top label of the bottle... it'll have you rolling on the floor! pure scottish

Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
Next time, read the statement on the top label of the bottle... it'll have you rolling on the floor! pure scottish
Yeah, and if you drink enough of it, it'll have your check book bouncing like a rubber ball!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey