Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,708,284 times

Advertisements

Lots of major highways so if and when your property sells you can high-tail-it outta here fast ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

607 posts, read 958,876 times
Just the idea that from my home in North Jersey I am two hours or so from doing practically anything I could want to do (hiking, skiing, surfing, rafting, fishing, Broadway shows, professional sports, historical/national landmarks, NASCAR races - I don't go, but I could, go to amusement parks, walk the boardwalks, gamble, etc.).

I can drive 30 minutes one direction and stand in Times Square with millions of others, and drive the same distance the other way and sit in a field in Sussex County, with only the livestock to keep me company.

New Jersey - We've got it all, and more!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,961,597 times
I like NJ for the fact you have NYC and the Delware Water Gap within an hour of each other. You can go to beautiful beaches along the Jersey shore in the summer and head up north for skiing/snowboarding. You can go camping out in a remote area of the skylands or be in the thick of it all in Times Square. Its all about location. Coming from NY, I like the fact that you don't have to pay for your car inspections and they last 2 yrs here on top of that. Also the gas is cheaper and in the winter cold or summer heat you don't have to get out of your car to fill it up.

For some reason NJ really has a bad rap with people but I truly love the proximity to everything. In some ways it'd be the perfect place to live if property taxes weren't so high, the gov't wasn't so corrupt, and we could remove parts of Newark, Jersey City, Irvington, Paterson, and Camden from the state

Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,956,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Lots of major highways so if and when your property sells you can high-tail-it outta here fast ...

No negatives, although you did work a positive in there (lots of highways) : )

Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 PM

538 posts, read 2,459,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Then leave.
How come every thread has you telling people to leave the state of NJ? Maybe you should leave. I'm sure there are plenty of fast food jobs in other states.

They understand "You want fries with that?" in all the other US states. Don't feel that you need to stay here.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM

336 posts, read 1,296,799 times
The malls and outlets. How many can you get to within a hour or less, go head keep counting. The same thing with diners.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
I would in a heartbeat, but the love of my life needs to stay in NJ due to her job.
interesting. what kind of work does she do that she *must* live in NJ, and not NY or say, CT?

and, if I were the love of your life, I'd be pretty pissed that *I* being in NJ was one thing you loved ....

Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,956,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
interesting. what kind of work does she do that she *must* live in NJ, and not NY or say, CT?

and, if I were the love of your life, I'd be pretty pissed that *I* being in NJ was one thing you loved ....
Not that NJ is the only state where you can do certain jobs, but if you have a great job here, you may not want to leave it. Especially now. And if I was the love of someone's life and they were willing to stay in a state they didn't like for me, I would think that was sweet, although I think I would try to find a different town or something that would make things better.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,720,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Not that NJ is the only state where you can do certain jobs, but if you have a great job here, you may not want to leave it. Especially now. And if I was the love of someone's life and they were willing to stay in a state they didn't like for me, I would think that was sweet, although I think I would try to find a different town or something that would make things better.
She's a producer in network news, so we won't be going anywhere for a while - this is the top of the food chain for her. I love her more than I will ever love this cesspool known as NJ, so I stick it out for my little Irish girl since she makes me happy and we have a blast together.

Happy in love > miserable NJ.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,720,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

We chose NJ for several reasons.

1. CT and Westchester are out since she's "on call" if breaking news hits. Too much time to come on down from CT or other suburbs.

2. Taxes are the less of all evils around here. NYC has the wage tax and the rents are on par with JC. Might as well try to keep a few extra dollars.

3. Access to PATH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey