Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Its even more riduculous that speeders on highways are not the cause of accidents. Rather the slow ones driving in the fast lanes and the tailgaters are.

This is all a scam to raise money to pocket their corruption.
well, most people speed to some degree so i sort of agree. i dont appreciate guys who are cutting in and out of lanes trying to make big moves and being risky for no reason. however, i can definitely see how the slow ones are the bigger risk. you look at them and they are clueless as to whats going on around them. just the other night we were getting on the verazano and some guy slowly goes right into our lane right towards us. my wife was driving and changed lanes (then extended her finger out the window), i dont think the guy had any idea what happened. he was oblivious. there are generally 3 categories of people i notice when i look to see who is driving so terribly. i wont say yet because i dont want to offend peoples sensitivities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:04 PM

744 posts, read 1,408,489 times
Maybe check what the law says about fines, etc before breaking the law in another state (assuming you know them for your own state).

It's like complaining because you got busted with a trunk full of fireworks when you drove into New Jersey.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,375,017 times
Fighting tickets rarely works. My brother is a cop. He loves it when people fight tickets...then he gets paid well for you guys to generally lose, anyway.

And I'm sure Jersey Man likes it when you guys fight 'em too . I'm sure he doesn't mind what is essentially free money. I know I don't.

Also, don't speed. I don't care if you're here, there, or wherever. Abide by the rules, or pay the consequences. It's easy enough. That's why they start grooming us for rules vs. consequences when we're young - so hopefully it/they stick(s) and we don't come into problems (often).

Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,165,447 times
At any one time 95% of people on the NJ turnpike are going over the speed limit. All it takes is some bad luck to get a speeding ticket. While i was a NY resident I got caught in a speed trap. There is this very short tunnel and when cars enter it most traffic will hit 50mph on the downhill. Unfortunately the seed limit in this tunnel is like 25mph. I got a ticket for $350. My friend was my insurance agent said that people who fight a ticket from particular speed trap always win but losing a day of work would have cost me more than the ticket and more than the increase in my insurance premium so i decided to pay it. Months later I got the same BS assessment that I had to pay an additional $350. This really is not fair as they don't tell you what amount your future penalty might be. They can decide to charge you whatever they feel is fair months after you pay your ticket. They did give me an option to pay over 3 years which i chose. I have since become a NJ resident and am not going to pay the remaining $200+ which i still owe. Hopefully now that I have a jersey license and not a NY license I can beat this unfair system...or i might get into even more trouble. Regardless this is a totally unfair system.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:35 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,765,018 times
1) NY and NJ are reciprocal states, so if your DL is suspended in one, it is automatically suspended in the other.
2) In NJ, those fees are called INS Surcharges and can be up wards of $1000/year for three years depending on how many points you get and in what time period. I know, Ive been on the receiving end of it. My Lawyer (well my parents at the time) basically said to either make due with no license for 3 years or pay the fine.
3) In states like Texas this sort of thing is unheard of.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,891,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
At any one time 95% of people on the NJ turnpike are going over the speed limit. All it takes is some bad luck to get a speeding ticket. While i was a NY resident I got caught in a speed trap. There is this very short tunnel and when cars enter it most traffic will hit 50mph on the downhill. Unfortunately the seed limit in this tunnel is like 25mph. I got a ticket for $350. My friend was my insurance agent said that people who fight a ticket from particular speed trap always win but losing a day of work would have cost me more than the ticket and more than the increase in my insurance premium so i decided to pay it. Months later I got the same BS assessment that I had to pay an additional $350. This really is not fair as they don't tell you what amount your future penalty might be. They can decide to charge you whatever they feel is fair months after you pay your ticket. They did give me an option to pay over 3 years which i chose. I have since become a NJ resident and am not going to pay the remaining $200+ which i still owe. Hopefully now that I have a jersey license and not a NY license I can beat this unfair system...or i might get into even more trouble. Regardless this is a totally unfair system.
Who told you that you have to drive? Don't pay the fine, lose your license and take public transit from now on.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,417,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

What are my rights here? I feel it is ridiculous to expect me to pay $890 because i got two speeding tickets in a state i dont even live in.
Well, looks like you've got the right to pay it all in one lump sum, or to spread it out into yearly installments. Other than that, the only "rights" you have are to either obey the laws, or pay the fines and other assessments for breaking them, which are clearly defined in the letter. Looks like these assessments have been in place since 2004, and I'd say you don't have a leg to stand on. You already missed the chance to appear in court and attempt to prove your innocence- what are you going to do now- pay a lawyer $1,000 to write letters and attempt to save you $400? In the interim, while you dick around trying to deal with this, I'm sure the computer system will see that you haven't paid, and will suspend your license.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,934,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, looks like you've got the right to pay it all in one lump sum, or to spread it out into yearly installments. Other than that, the only "rights" you have are to either obey the laws, or pay the fines and other assessments for breaking them, which are clearly defined in the letter. Looks like these assessments have been in place since 2004, and I'd say you don't have a leg to stand on. You already missed the chance to appear in court and attempt to prove your innocence- what are you going to do now- pay a lawyer $1,000 to write letters and attempt to save you $400? In the interim, while you dick around trying to deal with this, I'm sure the computer system will see that you haven't paid, and will suspend your license.
I couldn't have said it any better.

And yes, Mr. OP, I am currently paying my own insurance surcharge for speeding, so I guess I am the pot calling the kettle black. If you want to speed, you are taking a gamble on the ticket and the subsequent hands in your wallet. That's a choice we all make when we push down on that big pedal on the right.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,946,596 times
Just drove I 95 CT to Fl and these type drivers caused all 3 lanes to stop and go for 15-20 miles,all they do is weave and fill in empty spots cutting people off until no place to go.Get what they deserve.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Fighting tickets rarely works. My brother is a cop. He loves it when people fight tickets...then he gets paid well for you guys to generally lose, anyway.

And I'm sure Jersey Man likes it when you guys fight 'em too . I'm sure he doesn't mind what is essentially free money. I know I don't.

Also, don't speed. I don't care if you're here, there, or wherever. Abide by the rules, or pay the consequences. It's easy enough. That's why they start grooming us for rules vs. consequences when we're young - so hopefully it/they stick(s) and we don't come into problems (often).
1. i fought a ticket in nyc and won. the alternative is to just plead guilty and you are guaranteed that you lose. might as well give it a shot.

2. i cant believe this notion that once you violate the rule they can fine you any amount and its ok. there should be some acceptable limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey