Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 10,558 times

Advertisements

Hi, my friend and I are planning on moving to NJ next summer. She is moving from CA and I am from TX. I am excited about moving to the east however I am use to a diverse culture. What is it like in NJ? The area we are considering is East Orange and Hoboken per my friend. I looked up some information on E.O. and it seems to be a little dangerous. I would love some feedback on those two areas plus any other tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Hoboken is very nice, but quite homogeneous. Downtown Jersey City might be just what you are looking for.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,558 times
Okay, thanks!! I will check that out.. We also want something that is relatively an easy travel to NYC too!!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwny View Post
Hi, my friend and I are planning on moving to NJ next summer. She is moving from CA and I am from TX. I am excited about moving to the east however I am use to a diverse culture. What is it like in NJ? The area we are considering is East Orange and Hoboken per my friend. I looked up some information on E.O. and it seems to be a little dangerous. I would love some feedback on those two areas plus any other tips.
NO NO NO STOP !
If you don't have a job offer , don't come . If you must ,rent . Once you buy you will never sell and you will die here.
You will need to make about 75,000 each to live . We all have 2 jobs to pay taxes .
Everything cost more here , some neighborhoods are scary .I could go on for days , oh & we have no sun.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Hoboken is very nice, but quite homogeneous. Downtown Jersey City might be just what you are looking for.
Check on line for crime stats first J city ... LMAO

Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
Quote:
Hoboken would be a good starting point if you are new to the area. Close to NYC, stuff to do there too. Not sure if you are renting or buying, but definitely rent first. Good luck, sounds exciting

Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Jaymie's post #4 is correct on all counts. I know Dallas and I know NJ because I lived in NJ my first 36 years. The closest thing to Dallas in NJ is........well nothing. Based on what you are looking for I would say Morristown or Parsippany most closely matches Dallas and still be near that crime infested sheet hole NYC.

East Orange? Who told you to go there? You need an Elephant rifle to walk outside your home.

Be prepared for everything costing more......way more. Be prepared for a totally different way of life. I'm not saying that in a bad way either.

Good luck...

Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Okay, thanks!! I will check that out.. We also want something that is relatively an easy travel to NYC too!!
Downtown JC is right across the river from NYC. Like, right across the river.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I would say Morristown or Parsippany most closely matches Dallas and still be near that crime infested sheet hole NYC.
Wow. Your credibility just jumped out the window.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Wow. Your credibility just jumped out the window.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Yes......Damn positive, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey