Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:10 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times

Advertisements

I agree, the left lane is and should be used for passing only. I have never ridden the left lane unless the middle lane is moving extremely slower. Like an accident or something. But even that is wrong because if there is an accident the cops and amublance always have a problem with left lane blockage and they have a problem getting thru. Slow drivers should always be to the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
The OP is correct. 99% of drivers keep middle and pass left or if you are a New Yorker you just stay left and to hell with everyone.

I used to get on 287 in Woodbridge and get off in Bound Brook every day for many many many years and I could drive the entire trip without ever leaving the right lane and I passed everyone on the road.

The pigs do not pull people over for keeping left, it's a low dollar fine, they go after the high dollar extortion. The other thing about pigs doing radar, they will always aim that thing to the left lane because people drive faster in the left lane. That is their bread and butter and bacon. Staying in the right lane you can stay out of most radar and lidar cones depending on where the pig is hiding.

I say let drivers stay middle and left, that leaves the right lane clear for me.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The OP is correct. 99% of drivers keep middle and pass left or if you are a New Yorker you just stay left and to hell with everyone.

I used to get on 287 in Woodbridge and get off in Bound Brook every day for many many many years and I could drive the entire trip without ever leaving the right lane and I passed everyone on the road.

The pigs do not pull people over for keeping left, it's a low dollar fine, they go after the high dollar extortion. The other thing about pigs doing radar, they will always aim that thing to the left lane because people drive faster in the left lane. That is their bread and butter and bacon. Staying in the right lane you can stay out of most radar and lidar cones depending on where the pig is hiding.

I say let drivers stay middle and left, that leaves the right lane clear for me.
at the risk of being OT, I just have to ask....I'm sure you've designed kitchen for police officers in your 30 year career, did you call them pigs to their face or refuse a job because of your hatred of them? or do the $$$ trump everything?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
I wrote a thread regarding this last year. It was very enlightening. Some of the replies were downright stupid. Not irrational, not illogical, stupid.

People block the left lane passively because a) they are unaware or oblivious, or b) because they really don't care too much about much including driving.

People block the left lane intentionally (and speed up when you try to pass) because they are small-minded and need to impress themselves (because they can't impress anyone else).

I've never met a stable, confident (not arrogant, truly confident) individual who engaged in that kind of behavior. I think people who are really comfortable with themselves can allow someone to pass them in a car without their ego sending up a flag.

To think that it's so important to people that they have that minimum amount of control over a situation to not allow someone else's vehicle to go faster than theirs, or to punish other drivers for wanting to pass them, suggests a serious amount of bitterness and resentment toward others. That kind of bitterness could only come from a lack of self-esteem and self-confidence. It seems like it's a social awkwardness of some sort. Highway vigilantism to get back at people because they don't like themselves.

Any way you slice it, there are still many courteous drivers out there. Better to add to their numbers, instead of worrying about the goofs.

Enjoy the day!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM

39 posts, read 72,432 times
Default Drivers in the right lane take abuse!

I usually drive in the middle lane when traffic is light. When I just feel like doing the speed limit (65) on 295, I get tailgated by huge trucks and cars wanting to rush to get to the next exit. Also, too many idiots weave in and out of any lane opening just to get ahead of everyone else. The truckers will tailgate you in the middle lane too. Truth be told, the left lane is just easier at about 70mph if you just move it over when someone wants to pass. If you drive the NJT over 70mph, back it down between exits 5 & 3, particularly if you're DWB. The troopers are so out there.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 PM

345 posts, read 643,267 times
Wow, the OP seems to have a lot of animosity against anyone who doesn't follow traffic laws perfectly. EVERYONE pushes them to some extent. Have you ever driven 30 on a 25mph local road? 70+ on the Turnpike or Parkway? Well, you're just as much a law-breaker as the rest of us. Having said that, I do agree that on a 3-highways, drivers should stay out of the left lane assuming no traffic. I'm surprised you find staying in the middle lane to be a problem. I mean, if I'm on the Turnpike or Parkway, that's where I usually am. The right lane annoys me because, as was mentioned earlier, you have to contend with people merging onto the highway. Different story on a 2-land road though; I stay to the right there.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
at the risk of being OT, I just have to ask....I'm sure you've designed kitchen for police officers in your 30 year career, did you call them pigs to their face or refuse a job because of your hatred of them? or do the $$$ trump everything?
I refuse to work for them. I dont need their dirty money nor their attitude. Is that what you wanted to hear? Good because it's the truth.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:31 AM

825 posts, read 3,161,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I refuse to work for them. I dont need their dirty money nor their attitude. Is that what you wanted to hear? Good because it's the truth.
If someone is willing to pay you money for a service, whatever it is you do, I don't think you can just refuse to do the work for them. If someone is willing to pay, I don't know why you wouldn't take the money in the first place. You're also discriminating against police officers, which isn't right either. It's not right to discriminate against anyone, you might as well just refuse to do work for black people because it's the exact same thing.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 AM

7 posts, read 15,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Wow, the OP seems to have a lot of animosity against anyone who doesn't follow traffic laws perfectly. EVERYONE pushes them to some extent. Have you ever driven 30 on a 25mph local road? 70+ on the Turnpike or Parkway? Well, you're just as much a law-breaker as the rest of us. Having said that, I do agree that on a 3-highways, drivers should stay out of the left lane assuming no traffic. I'm surprised you find staying in the middle lane to be a problem. I mean, if I'm on the Turnpike or Parkway, that's where I usually am. The right lane annoys me because, as was mentioned earlier, you have to contend with people merging onto the highway. Different story on a 2-land road though; I stay to the right there.

No animosity here, and as for me finding it a problem for people who drive in the middle lane, I didn’t write the law, just stated the facts:
39:4-88.C -Upon a highway which is divided into 3 lanes, a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking or passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or unless the center lane is at the time allocated for traffic moving in the direction the vehicle is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of that allocation.

As with the responses here most people do not know that it’s illegal to drive in the middle lane, and 99% of the people do it, where it becomes a hazard is when that 99% goes to exit the highway from the middle lane.
Anyone who has spent time driving the highways in Europe understands how the “keep right” process works, and how it makes the highways much safer regardless how fast you are traveling. I guess what your statement amounts to is:
1) if the law is an inconvenience to me then I don’t follow it,
2) someone else is breaking the law in another way and that entitles me to break the law I choose to.

We can all debate this and give our own reasons for the lane we choose to drive in, but the fact remains that there is a law that eliminates giving us that choice. The only choice is if we follow the law, which is a whole new debate.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 AM

636 posts, read 1,424,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
If someone is willing to pay you money for a service, whatever it is you do, I don't think you can just refuse to do the work for them. If someone is willing to pay, I don't know why you wouldn't take the money in the first place. You're also discriminating against police officers, which isn't right either. It's not right to discriminate against anyone, you might as well just refuse to do work for black people because it's the exact same thing.
Transactions should be a voluntary on BOTH sides. If he doesn't want to do work for certain people, that should be his choice. We shouldn't force people to do anything - if we do, they are slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey