Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
give me a break.

You don't think that happens every day??? Pull your head out of your arse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
it doesnt matter. its part of the job. they dont like it, quit. its not something that should come up in a discussion. i dont want to see kids who just saw their parents heads blown off. i dont want to shovel manure. the guy shoveling manure is making $7 an hour. you dont get paid based on the bad things you have to see or do.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:24 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,381 times
Quote:
But what has that got to do with their pay and pension?

I'm pretty sure soldiers in Iraq see worse every day without a cushy pension.

Obviously you should pay them as little as you possibly can while still getting enough acceptable candidates to meet the numeric requirements.

Paying more is just bad management. And I'm pretty sure you'll get enough candidates without the cushy pensions.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges and for your info many many police depts now require a degree
$10 an hour in private sector...they must be working at mcDonalds or the local grocery store how can you compare

I need to stop and myself upside the head for even responding to one of your posts
i dont know cops salaries so i was just using a basic example of a $10 employee in the private sector and that the same person could have more pay and benefits in the public sector. the compensation package should be equivalent. is a very simple concept, no need to .

Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post

Obviously you should pay them as little as you possibly can while still getting enough acceptable candidates to meet the numeric requirements.

Paying more is just bad management. And I'm pretty sure you'll get enough candidates without the cushy pensions.

My bad as I was just stating I can not logically debate the issue of pay or compensation with some one whose view is jaded because they are a cop hater
If you had read through I think you would of picked up on it

as for the bolded part it is a CHOICE to join the military, no more draft....many of the national guard joined for educational benefits etc now it's time to pay the piper....and there are many cops who have been deployed as they were in the guard..why even bring them into this???

Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Quote:
There is no way to logically debate the issue with you as all of your posts on police have indicated you are clearly a cop hater....I should hope you or a loved one never has the need for one..yes I know they show up after the fact...blah...blah...blah....
Don't you know that the only good cop is a clairvoyant cop?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Just what we need $10.00 per hour uneducated people running around with a gun
You people kill me you really do, I have never seen so much bitterness directed at a profession as I do with cops & teachers....you want it all, your towns to be safe, your schools to excel but no one wants to pay for it....the cops who have to reside in Nj and the teachers who do live here PAY THE SAME TAXES as the rest of us

Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Don't you know that the only good cop is a clairvoyant cop?

Good one..a crystal ball should be in every squad car

Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Quote:

It isn't a question of just blindly paying, but the problem comes when you try to assign merit to an institution like policing. How do you do the "good cop" rating? Quotas? Recommendations? Too political.

Unlike in buisness, which has ALSO shown that a "merit" based system just does not work these days, you can't say "you earned teh company $XX, therefore you are worth $YY!!!". The comparison breaks down if you try to persue it further as there are too many variables that differentiate between the public and private sector, but suffice to say one still remains.

You pay poo you get poo. NYC has had its lowest turnout for new cops after new salary guidelines were introduced lowering starting pay (to insure the old timers get their raises). They have also had to LOWER their testing requirements just to be able to ACCEPT more people into the academy.

Is this a good thing?

I think the only thing that the Public and Private sectors have in common right now is the fact that they are over-protected and topheavy. Overprotected in that even a failing CEO is rarely laid off, and the same goes for a Super or higher ranked individual in the PD. But the guys that do the grunt work, on both fronts, are the first to be shown the door when the money gets tight.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it doesnt matter. its part of the job. they dont like it, quit. its not something that should come up in a discussion. i dont want to see kids who just saw their parents heads blown off. i dont want to shovel manure. the guy shoveling manure is making $7 an hour. you dont get paid based on the bad things you have to see or do.

You have my prayers...you need them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey