Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:51 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've done that drive as well, up through Vista, Fallbrook, but then only to Temecula and Lake Elsinore. I would say that portion of the drive alone is enough to satisfy the various changes in terrain, and there are very many in that relatively short drive. I've done I-8 from the Imperial Valley (near Salton) and through Cuyamaca Rancho and El Capitan Lake down to SD, and that is even more breathtaking, as far as I am concerned. Ordinarily, interstates are mind numbing roads, however, that section of I-8 is an incredible exception.
i agree about I-8. it definitely has some great scenery, and you don't have to drive very far outside of the city of san diego to enjoy it.

Quote:
When it comes to the Golden State, there is so much to see. You could spend a half a year traveling through the state, and not even begin to scratch the surface.
no question. the contrast in topography contained within california is simply unreal. and as congested as its large metropolitan areas are, there are still large swaths of the state that are incredibly remote and isolated.

it's too bad tommy (the OP) doesn't have more time for his vacation; if in fact he's ends up in santa barbara, it's a shame that he won't have time to explore the coast north of there such as san simeon, big sur, and monterey/carmel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Guys, what if I take a VERY early flight on a Thursday morning into LAX, and arrive there around 10 am on Thursday. Rent a car, drive to Santa Barbara. Stay there Thursday night and Friday night. Saturday morning drive back to LA, and enjoy LA for a day and night, and then head back east on Sunday early afternoon. Does that sound good? I'm wondering if I can rent the car at LAX, and drop it off in Santa Barbara (since I likely won't use it there), and then rent a car again on Saturday to come back down towards LA. As opposed to keeping the rental car for 3 days...

Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Guys, what if I take a VERY early flight on a Thursday morning into LAX, and arrive there around 10 am on Thursday. Rent a car, drive to Santa Barbara. Stay there Thursday night and Friday night. Saturday morning drive back to LA, and enjoy LA for a day and night, and then head back east on Sunday early afternoon. Does that sound good? I'm wondering if I can rent the car at LAX, and drop it off in Santa Barbara (since I likely won't use it there), and then rent a car again on Saturday to come back down towards LA. As opposed to keeping the rental car for 3 days...
Does that sound good??? Hell, can I join you?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
Quote:
your proposed itinerary sounds great. arriving at LAX around 10am is ideal, because you'll be able to enjoy the drive up the PCH while still arriving in santa barbara early enough to have the whole day ahead of you.

the only thing is, renting a car one-way can be pretty expensive. it might actually be cheaper to hold onto the rental car for the entire trip if your pickup and drop-off destination is the same. plus, i think it'll be useful to have the rental car in SB for some local scenic driving into the mountain areas like montecito, or at least to check out some of the great beaches that might not be within walking distance of your hotel, such as carpinteria beach.

just take a look into the price difference between one-way car rentals vs. same location pickup/drop-off. if you find that the one-way prices are reasonable, then go for it. but i'm guessing that they'll cost upwards of $80 per day. keep in mind that car rentals are not as cheap as they used to be. so if you find a great deal, pounce on it immediately.

one suggestion:
as soon as you get off the plane at LAX and pick up your rental car, get some grub at the in-n-out location at 9149 sepulveda blvd, which is right next to the airport. this way, you'll get your mandatory in-n-out fix out of the way without wasting too much time searching for a quick bite.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Sounds delightful....Tommy we want a trip report and pictures

Old 10-23-2009, 03:35 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sounds delightful....Tommy we want a trip report and pictures
Yeah, I promise I will follow up with that. I was hoping to book my flights today but things got crazy with work (shocker).

Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Yeah, I promise I will follow up with that. I was hoping to book my flights today but things got crazy with work (shocker).
Stop off at Dunkin Donuts and pick up a couple of Thermos bottles full of coffee and hand them to the pilot when you board the plane.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Stop off at Dunkin Donuts and pick up a couple of Thermos bottles full of coffee and hand them to the pilot when you board the plane.
Why? Most airlines brew fresh coffee on-board. If it's Continental, their coffee is Timothy's which is much better than Dunkin' Donuts. Or were you joking? I didn't "get it".

Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Why? Most airlines brew fresh coffee on-board. If it's Continental, their coffee is Timothy's which is much better than Dunkin' Donuts. Or were you joking? I didn't "get it".
I suspect the poster is referring to the recent occurance of a pilot overshooting the airport by 150 miles, reportedly due to fatigue.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
I hope you were able to book the flights at those low fares I found. If not, I hear there is a fare war going on right now, so you may still be in luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey