Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM

153 posts, read 541,453 times

Advertisements

And those dilapidated overgrown houses are simply "local charm" if you ask the realtors, and there are some cheap old houses that are in perfectly good areas (block by block, sometimes in both towns) but it is good to come back at night and see if the residents are farm workers or meth lab technicians before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 PM

But the truth is in the Police blotters:

www.cnjonline.com and www.pntonline.com

Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Not racial, its gang-related. The gangs have to be cleaned up and Clovis Police are hopefully gearing up to do the job.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,358 times
Hi, My familyis being stationed at Cannon AFB in December 09 SInce this is the latest blog i have seen. I just wanted to ask a few questions to those who are there. Is there rentals there still? i didnt know if buying was a good option because i dont plan to be there forever. But i still want to live nice. I have a kid and i will be attending ENMU but my hubby will be on base. where is the SSAFEST, CLEANEST, and can i throw in a liitle to do :-) (i dont want to be bored) place to live of the two???? I feel like imma die from stressing to find a home for my family because i hear base housing isnt good but then i hear of the reconstructing...but when is it due to be done? someone HELLLPPPPPPPPPP Im moving from my safe zone, Washington DC n i HATE IT!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listening.Bird View Post
Hi, My familyis being stationed at Cannon AFB in December 09 SInce this is the latest blog i have seen. I just wanted to ask a few questions to those who are there. Is there rentals there still? i didnt know if buying was a good option because i dont plan to be there forever. But i still want to live nice. I have a kid and i will be attending ENMU but my hubby will be on base. where is the SSAFEST, CLEANEST, and can i throw in a liitle to do :-) (i dont want to be bored) place to live of the two???? I feel like imma die from stressing to find a home for my family because i hear base housing isnt good but then i hear of the reconstructing...but when is it due to be done? someone HELLLPPPPPPPPPP Im moving from my safe zone, Washington DC n i HATE IT!

All of those--- seeing how you want stuff to do as well.. I would say North East Clovis. Do you have any pets? If you do you might want to buy (way over priced for the sq. footage) or hope you get into the Clovis 801 housing. (Its extremely hard to find a rental that will allow pets of any kind).

The only reason I havent said live in Portales is because thats what we did when we 1st got here. I went to ENMU etc ... but then it felt like Clovis was the "Big City" and it was annoying to go meet friends in Clovis etc.. (The drive isnt that bad, however we would leave 30 early to make sure we arrived on time). It just wasnt worth it.

So we moved to the 801 housing in Clovis. You will want your child to attend Mesa Elementary. *North East Clovis*. What grade, if any, is your child in?

I am sure you could make it work and like Portales, I am just telling you what happened to us.

Good luck on your move!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,969 times
oh and Basehousing is fine... as in off base. ATM they are doing some construction on base...

The off base housing you have....

Chavez West (Right outside of the base and about 10-15 min to the good part of Clovis)

Clovis 801 (North East Clovis and close to shopping)

Portales 801 (Very close to ENMU and 15-20 min from the back gate to the base)

Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 AM

141 posts, read 380,800 times
I agree with Fickle. I would choose the northeast side of Clovis. Most construction is happening out that way, closer to businesses, and the neighborhood are fairly new. The area looks very clean and they have the best schools in town. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,504 times
Listening.bird, no need to be bored. Get into school and work on your communication skills.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM

74 posts, read 209,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listening.Bird View Post
Ok as someone who arrived here several months ago from D.C (which I admit we all hated) you really need to be prepared for the culture shock and the lack of things to do or places to shop. Compared to D.C there is nothing to do here especially if you have kids. However on the upswing the COL is boat loads cheaper here. We bought a new construction house in NE Clovis. The same house would have cost at least $600K in Northern VA.

Someone tried to warn me about the lack of amenities here but I'd lived in small towns before so I thought I knew what I was getting into. This place is like no place I've ever lived before. It's pretty closed minded, esp compared to a place like D.C, and the only place to shop is Walmart. The BX on base is being renovated but it's really small as is the commissary. This is supposed to be a kid friendly place yet there are no classes through parks and rec, there aren't really any kid group type things, and there's not even an ice cream place except for DQ. Oh and no kid's clothing stores, shoe stores, or toy stores except in Walmart.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 PM

74 posts, read 209,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nategdh View Post
I agree with Fickle. I would choose the northeast side of Clovis. Most construction is happening out that way, closer to businesses, and the neighborhood are fairly new. The area looks very clean and they have the best schools in town. Good luck!
Yes we live right next to the base housing in NE Clovis, where all the new construction is. I feel safe here, everyone is pretty friendly. If you have kids in elementary school it's an easy walk to school and back every day. Mesa is supposed to be the best school here but we haven't been happy with it and will be pulling our son out come Christmas. We're just going to home school him until we move again in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico