Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This would be credible but for the fact that the corporate lobbyists and far-right wing in the US are heavily invested in denying that humans play a part in climate change. Acknowledging an endangered environment is not part of their "business model." I am sure you're not so naive to think otherwise.
I'm not. But I look a lot more at the actual data and credibly substantiated literature than at who funds whom.

You can make just as strong a case that many researchers are on the pro side of GW because they know that's the side where lots of federal and other funding for research is now available. However, I think this just becomes a p***ing contest about who funds whom or what that is totally counter-productive to figuring out the real answer.

Instead look at what some of the so-called deniers are saying and what they cite in support of their views. One of them I respect is Dr. Syun-Ichi Akasofu, the former director of the University of Alaska Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute and International Arctic Research Center 2. Take a look at this link for his credentials - Syun-Ichi Akasofu - and some of his actual articles on the subject - http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~sakasofu...ate_change.pdf and http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~sakasofu...al_warming.pdf.

Does this mean I fully believe Dr. Akasofu's thesis on GW? Not necessarily, but this is just one of many reasons that my mind is absolutely not made up about the issue of GW. I guess you could call me a global warming wonderer.

Last edited by rwjoyak; 01-06-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think that Susana is coming out of the gate as a political extremist, which could be her undoing in four years.
The fact that you see Martinez as a political extremist says much more about your position on the political spectrum than it does about hers.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
JBM..No, it's Not clear that she has no respect for gay's and Lesbian's. She just doesn't think the taxpayer should "foot the bill' for the boyfriends and girlfriends of gay's...
It's very disrespectful for her to say that my relationships are something less than anyone elses. If that's her reasoning, then she should be working to annul every marriage in our state, gay OR straight. As aires said, I'm gay and pay my taxes, and I should have the same rights as anyone else in this state.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
JBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The fact that you see Martinez as a political extremist says much more about your position on the political spectrum than it does about hers.
I would call her not so much an "extremist" but a far-right winger. She's far from the moderate-republican/moderate-democrat most people fall under.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM

206 posts, read 535,299 times
AND, I would call JBM and Aries "far left wing', gay activist's.Far from the mainstream.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Instead look at what some of the so-called deniers are saying and what they cite in support of their views. One of them I respect is Dr. Syun-Ichi Akasofu, the former director of the University of Alaska Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute and International Arctic Research Center 2. Take a look at this link for his credentials - Syun-Ichi Akasofu - and some of his actual articles on the subject - http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~sakasofu/pdf/two_natural_components_recent_climate_change.pdf and http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~sakasofu/pdf/Why_has_global_warming.pdf.

Does this mean I fully believe Dr. Akasofu's thesis on GW? Not necessarily, but this is just one of many reasons that my mind is absolutely not made up about the issue of GW. I guess you could call me a global warming wonderer.
I did not mean to open up an off-topic debate on global warming. But I'm not surprised one bit that an oil-rich state like Alaska has produced a scientist who comes out against global warming science. His position would benefit Alaska's oil industry. I didn't need a high school diploma to see through that. But as a non-scientist I can only go with the overwhelming majority of scientists who claim there are human causes to climate change. In fact there is no scientific body of national or international standing that dissents from this position, only a few individual scientists scattered here and there.

So I think I'm being objective when I say it is extreme for Susana to pick an individual who dissents from the overwhelming majority on this, to head the Energy and Natural Resources Dept. It sets a bad example for kids in a state where education is already lagging so far behind other states.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
JBM

Quote:
AND, I would call JBM and Aries "far left wing', gay activist's.Far from the mainstream.
I wouldn't call myself "far left-wing," either. I have views that range from moderate to liberal. "Gay activism" is far from being off most people's radars, either. In fact, more and more polls show opinions toward issues such as DADT, DOMA, and even same-sex marriage rapidly changing in favour of gay rights. Being FOR gay rights is mainstream. Even being FOR same-sex marriage can now be considered a position taken by many moderates. Even many conservatives respect the idea of in the very least allowing a form of "civil union" or "domestic partnership registry." Martinez falls into the roughly 33%(as of last year) of Americans who oppose any recognition; a minority which continues to shrink. This is an issue that will be in our media more and more, especially in regards to the upcoming session of the legislature. Martinez will play an important role, as governor. She's taken the extreme view that gays and lesbians shouldn't have not even a shred of recognition and protection from our state government. Hopefully, she leans more moderate in regards to education and healthcare. I'm bracing for more disappointment in those fields, however..

Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM

206 posts, read 535,299 times
Airies, get a book called "Heaven and Earth", by Ian Plimer, a highly aclaimed scientist from New Zealand. You have been mislead..This has become a religion of 'the left', please, do some research.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM
JBM

Quote:
Airies, get a book called "Heaven and Earth", by Ian Plimer, a highly aclaimed scientist from New Zealand. You have been mislead..This has become a religion of 'the left', please, do some research.
I just ran a quick search of the author. Though I don't know exactly where I stand in the "climate debate," I wouldn't trust much of what he says. For one) he is a geologist, not a climatologist. I wouldn't go to a Dentist for a surgery. Though they are both trained in medicine to some extent, a surgeon would be who I would need to go to, unless that surgery had something to do with my mouth. Also, he is the director of three mines. That is an obvious conflict of interest. He's been tied to a conservative political think-tank in Australia that is closely tied to the Liberal Party. Also, he's been criticized by "Climate Scientists Australia." I'm all for an open debate, but, this man has a back ground that is questionable from an open standpoint. This is an issue that is important on both our level and with the level of our entire world. Martinez needs to have the leadership to appoint someone that in the very least is open to debate. Especially if climate really is changing, it's important, especially to those who consider the environment very dear to them. I, for one, love our environment and would hate to see terrible things happen to it. There NEEDS to be a debate, both in Santa Fe and Canberra and wherever, but, Mr. Plimer is not one I'd trust for info. I feel that Martinez may have made yet another mistake. Watch and wait, I suppose.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Quote:
JBM..No, it's Not clear that she has no respect for gay's and Lesbian's. She just doesn't think the taxpayer should "foot the bill' for the boyfriends and girlfriends of gay's...
So I'll assume that, like New Mexico's Attorney General, you'll agree that married gay/lesbians ARE entitled to the same rights and privileges as other married New Mexicans?
Somehow I see Susana fighting that....but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico