Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 146,744 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I am posting this in 'general' because it has an aspect that may be of common interest.
I have been researching relocation options for -FIVE- years. I have file cabinets filled with information. I came to believe that New Mexico might be an option. But upon further research I found that it is number one on many lists as being the most violent state in the nation, and in the top five on other lists. Surely, I thought, there must be some safe areas? No, not that I have found. I now discover that it is in the top 5 for most corrupt states.
Why are the citizens of New Mexico putting up with this?! [And please, none of the usual mouthwash I hear from some of that state's residents, saying crime is everywhere so this somehow makes it ok. That is just not true.]
What is the point of civilization if not to make a common contract of mutual protection? Freedom from fear is a basic. If you are unsafe in your home, what else matters? Is this just going to continue? Is New Mexico going to be the first state to bring the war in Mexico into the US?
Natalie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
New Mexico importing the Mexican war into the US? Uhhh..... No! I think you may be watching too many episodes of Breaking Bad. I'm sure neighboring Arizona or Texas would be more condusive to bringing in the "Mexican War" before New Mexico. As for corruption, well it's not hard to see that exists at every level of government in just about any state. There is a street in Lower Manhattan that fosters more corruption than New Mexico could ever hold a candle to. However New Mexico does have unemployment well below the national average at 6.6% as of August, 2011 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mployment_rate). It's not perfect, there is corruption, but it's not being ruled by the cartels either.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-03-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Freedom from fear cannot be provided by any outside entity. Freedom from fear is only created by the individual. Lady Jessica, in Dune, was right. "Fear is the mind killer. Know your fear and make it yours and it will cease to control you." This is the best advice I have ever read about being afraid.

Natalie456 - I suggest you take all the information you have and study it to see if your fear of violence is well founded. If your fear is random violence, learn how to avoid it. If it is personal attack learn how to defend yourself. No one else can protect you or keep you perfectly safe. Anywhere! Wishing they could will not make it so.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,624 times
I kinda like it that New Mexico is a "dangerous" place. Adds to the mystery and keeps most folks from being too foolish.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM

5,043 posts, read 7,419,654 times
Which figures are you using to compare?

You could also measure the violence rate of the United States against other countries. We rank pretty high. According to this list (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita - broken link), we rank 8th in the world in violent crime per capita, and Mexico ranks #39. Why do we put up with it? Are you going to retire in Mexico because of this list? Do you think violence crosses from Mexico to the US, and US drug policy has nothing to do with violence in Mexico?

Statistics are all relative. A bad neighborhood in a supposedly "safe" state is worse than a good neighborhood in an "unsafe" state. Maine often ranks as a low crime state but I felt intimidated there a few times and there was a murder on my street during the nine months I lived there. Plan accordingly.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Natalie,

We have lived all over the world in both big metros and small rural villages. We have never experienced the level of crime, violence, and political corruption as is in New Mexico. My husband was beat up and robbed while walking downtown, our car has been broken into twice (and no, we do not leave valuables in our car), our adobe walls have been gang-tagged twice, and at least a third of our neighbors have been robbed in some form here. Many of the crimes do not get reported in the media as it is so sensitive to alarming the tourist $$$ industry. If you move here, be forewarned and as advised above--plan accordingly.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Many of the crimes do not get reported in the media as it is so sensitive to alarming the tourist $$$ industry.
You don't watch the local ABQ news then?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
Hello all.
I am posting this in 'general' because it has an aspect that may be of common interest.
I have been researching relocation options for -FIVE- years. I have file cabinets filled with information. I came to believe that New Mexico might be an option. But upon further research I found that it is number one on many lists as being the most violent state in the nation, and in the top five on other lists. Surely, I thought, there must be some safe areas? No, not that I have found. I now discover that it is in the top 5 for most corrupt states.
Why are the citizens of New Mexico putting up with this?! [And please, none of the usual mouthwash I hear from some of that state's residents, saying crime is everywhere so this somehow makes it ok. That is just not true.]
What is the point of civilization if not to make a common contract of mutual protection? Freedom from fear is a basic. If you are unsafe in your home, what else matters? Is this just going to continue? Is New Mexico going to be the first state to bring the war in Mexico into the US?
Natalie
Have you ever been to New Mexico?

I am trying to understand the point of this thread since you've already determined that whatever we say regarding comparative crime rates would only be 'mouthwash.'

Are you asking us to explain why we put up with this seeming anarchy?

Or are you asking how could it be possible that people allow their children to play outside their homes and leave their doors open, and yes, I mean open not just unlocked, in the evenings in this unbelievably unsafe place?
This, BTW, occurs virtually every evening in my neighborhood.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Many of the crimes do not get reported in the media as it is so sensitive to alarming the tourist $$$ industry.
Sorry, but I do not agree with your statement because it is not the view I have actually observed in New Mexico over the past 12 years (I have been in New Mexico brief periods going back over 40 years).

I find some reporters who tend to sensationalize some issues. They have to, it is their profession...

Rich

Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
We've been here 12 years and I have never personally committed a crime (with intent, anyway) or been a victim. But, we're not gangbangers or wanna bes, we don't use or sell drugs or frequent places that do and we don't live in a high crime area. Those facts alone probably reduce our risks of being a crime victim by 80-90%. The other 10-20% of risk is simply due to the randomness that can affect you anywhere.

I rarely watch local TV news any more because they sensationalize every crime that occurs and dwell on it incessantly. News on public and political corruption is a nice break from that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico