Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,106 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Lordsburg in a few months and I am terrified. I have visited the town before and it doesn't seem like there's much to do out there. On top of that, I am trying to continue my education and it seems like that is going to be impossible because it would be such an inconvenience for me to drive an hour to Silver City. I would like to hear anyone's advise on education and employment in Lordsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,951 times
Angie, that is one town I don't know much about and actually posted on here for people to tell me what Lordsburg is like and I got no response. I think maybe because so few people live out there. It is on the way to a ghost town, like all the ones around it, if the economy there doesn't change. I know a few ranchers live there and mostly Mexican and Hispanics live there too. You might google Lordsburg and see what you get. It gets very little rain so water would be a main issue. Good Luck on your move!

Old 09-08-2006, 06:18 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,160 times
Default Lordsburg

Lordsburg is a very small town in the bootheel of NM. It is very isolated. About 60 miles west of Deming and 45 miles South of Silver City, and neither of those cities are major metro areas either. Las Cruces is about 120 miles to the east, and Tucson about 150 miles to the west. It sits in a largely unpopulated wild desert landscape with outstanding vistas and stunning sunsets. The town has seen better days and retirees are not flocking there. For most it is a place to gas up on I-10 heading east or west. If you like small towns and lunar landscapes this may be the place for you.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:55 AM

Thanks Domino! I wanted to know myself about Lordsburg so thanks for the info. Lordsburg must have been a bustling town back in the train days. I would also see pictures of Lordsburg and trains and such. Then the highway coming through bringing people to California and the postcards of Lordsburg that looked like a busy town. I also think it is interesting the western history it has along with the nearby ghost towns like Shakespeare. It seems Lordsburg is on the same path.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-09-2006 at 01:04 AM..

Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
Default Been through it

And it's nowhere I would ever live if I could help it. Very small, isolated, and the predominant Hispanic culture may or may not be a problem.
Domino's comment on a "lunar landscape" is a good one.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:46 AM

I heard that it is sunny 360 days a year! Wow, that only leaves about 5 days of rain so I can see why it looks like the moon!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 PM

20 posts, read 81,095 times
Default Going Back!

We lived in Lordsburg from 2004-2006. My wife had almost completed her MAT from Western New Mexico University when we moved back to Tennessee. She loved the drive to Silver City (just called Silver by locals). It was a good break from a hectic day. The drive is 45 miles, but it is good highway, and very little traffic. Just watch out for wildlife and you will be fine. We had left to be closer to family, but we have decided to move back after this school year. We have regretted leaving in the first place. Lordsburg isn't for everyone, but it has its benefits. If you are the type who likes wide open spaces, dirt roads to nowhere, a community that knows your name, then Lordsburg is for you. I had previously pastored one of the churches in Lordsburg and still have many friends there. If you ever need a break, drive to Columbus, walk across the border, and take in dinner at "The Pink Store" (trust me on this one!). I am curious why you are moving, Border Patrol?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 PM

292 posts, read 725,176 times
Talking interesting

Lordsburg huh? Well while most of the town is what people have described it as such, it has a strange appeal to myself for some reason. Perhaps the isolation and the moonscape scenery, who knows. From the work I've done out there in the past, the people seem nice enough, at least the ones I've met. And Cranberry's is a good restaurant as well. Besides that, nothing else is going on from any standpoint really. Good luck, and hopefully the stay won't be too long.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
I took a road trip through parts of southwest NM in late November. Yeah, stopped for gas at Lordsburg and didn't see many people around town while driving along the I-10 business loop. Isolated and remote, absolutely. Saw a bunch of National Guard troops headed for border patrol detail. Took a great backroad detour off interstate 10 and headed south along the AZ-NM line to the east side of the Chiracahua Mtns towards the town of Portal. Fantastic red rock mountain scenery. Highway continues south to border at Douglas, AZ. Also saw the tragic side of the immigration problem, two bodies were recovered by INS along the highway about 15 miles south of Portal. An abandoned railbed for a train that went from the copper mines of Bisbee to the smelters of El Paso serves as a well marked path through the desert for those who get past Douglas AZ and walk north. What an incredibly long and trecherous walk that would be.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM

6 posts, read 30,098 times
Default Checking Out Lordsburg

It has been about eight months since anyone has posted on this thread. But, I need some information about Lordsburg, so I think I will give this thread a try.

I am sick of the big city (having lived in one all this time). I have had it with gangs, traffic, smog, big box stores, and the high cost of living. I am eyeing Lordsburg. I am ready for some lonely desert living.

I have never been to Lordsburg, but grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. lived in Lordsburg from the late 19th century until 1918. I grew up hearing family stories about the place. I sort of consider the place ancestral home ground (I hope that I will not regret saying that upon actually visiting the place).

I have read on some of these threads that Lordsburg is on the verge of ghost town status. Is this true? Isn't it the county seat?

I am impressed with the low crime rate in Lordsburg. Is it really a safe place? Are the "natives" friendly? (Hey, we might be related).

Is the town terribly run-down? According to relatives who lived there several generations ago it was a busy little town. Are there any signs of a possible revival? It seems to me that its close proximity to Tucson, the I10, the RR, natural surroundings, and its decent climate leaves open the possibility of some, at least limited, economic development.

I have an internet based business and would need to visit Tucson or Las Cruces 3 or 4 times per month. Does anyone know if the train is an option? How much does a train ride from Lordsburg to Tucson cost? And, how long does it take? How often does the train run?

Is there a fire department, with paramedics, to haul my arse to a hospital should the need arise?

I am able to speak some Spanish and I am willing to become fluent if necessary.

I would be glad to hear any Lordsburg-related stories, complaints, experiences (even if it involves extra-terrestrials).

OK, now that I have typed out all these questions I am aware of the possibility that nobody will answer. Lordsburg may already be a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico