Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times

Advertisements

Eldorado is a bust for us so far.

The bid from the second builder came in much higher than we can afford.

We are trying to find ways that we can cut costs .... at least he is working with us, and trying to see if we all can work it out.

Kind of discouraging.....we have been saving for years, and now that we can finally retire, the prices have gone up over our limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Eldorado is a bust for us so far.

The bid from the second builder came in much higher than we can afford.

We are trying to find ways that we can cut costs .... at least he is working with us, and trying to see if we all can work it out.

Kind of discouraging.....we have been saving for years, and now that we can finally retire, the prices have gone up over our limit.
I'm sorry to hear that, Towanda. I hope that something can be worked out if you have your heart set on that particular area. Are you also looking at others?

It is frustrating, I know. I hate to even have to go look. I wish I could send Jane to do it for me, LOL!!!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Cathy,
Good luck with your hunt in Alamo. It was funny when we went up to Ruidoso last month to check out houses and ended up finding what we wanted in another town we had never heard of. (Timberon) Now we are in the process of closing on the house.
I guess one never knows where they will end up. LOL
Cheryl
Thanks, Cheryl......you are in the process of closing on the house in Timberon or where you are now?? Jane emailed me a pic of theirs, and from what I can tell, it really reminds me of Ruidoso!

I was also surprised to find that the small condos in Ruidoso (think ski season rather than permanently) are not nearly as expensive as I would have thought! But I don't think I'd want to live there all year. It's just too tourist trappy...and full of Texans (VBEG) that everybody hates.....

I am going to have such fun once I get the misery of finding and buying over with!!!! I plan to really see all the little nooks and crannies of the areas, LOL!!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy,
Cloudcroft is 20 degrees cooler than Alamo, And High Rolls 10. So if you want cooler, think along those lines.
Good luck on the hunt..
Jane
I may not make Cloudcroft this trip, but I will at some point. I have to go see the reputed ghost at the lodge....LOL!!!

Being twice as high, I bet the summers are GREAT.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:52 PM

Alamogordo, Day 1

I made it in 6 hours, very easy, relaxed drive......now I'm wired from all of the Mountain Dew and coffee I drank to stay awake.....LOL!!!

I went to Blake's...and had a green chile burger with cheese.....um...that picture LIED.....LOL!!!

It was good, but not as good as the picture looked. I went out on the patio and watched the traffic go by. The mountains are so NEAT.

I'm in crash mode right now, and will stay in, surf and watch the tube...and hit the pavement in the morning!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
Cathy,
How many days will you be in Alamo?
Try a GCCB from the Hi-D-Ho on white sands. Pull in and turn your lights on and they will come take your order. Last one I had was pretty good.
Glad you made it safe.
Jane

Old 05-28-2007, 06:43 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Cathy ~ The picture that was posted was from the Bobcat Bite Restaurant in Santa Fe, not Blake's. Blake's is fast food ..... and has very good green chile cheeseburgers, but not as big as the one in the picture. (HOWEVER...the one at Bobcat Bite probably costs three times as much! )

Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Here's the Chamber of Commerce sites for those inerested in the area.
Home Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce
Cloudcroft New Mexico Official Website, Chamber of Commerce Website
New Mexico Resorts & Mountain Vacations In Cloudcroft - The Lodge Resort
The Lodge Resort in Cloudcroft is where Rebecca's Ghost inhabits the hotel.
The Chamber sites have lots of pictures of the mountains and surrounding areas.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy,
How many days will you be in Alamo?
Try a GCCB from the Hi-D-Ho on white sands. Pull in and turn your lights on and they will come take your order. Last one I had was pretty good.
Glad you made it safe.
Jane
Well, I just got back......I sent you an email!

This has been one frenzied trip, but I'll start a new thread of my impressions of Alamogordo for those who are wondering!!

I'll catch a GCCB from HiDho the next time I'm in town!!! Thanks for the tips!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Cathy ~ The picture that was posted was from the Bobcat Bite Restaurant in Santa Fe, not Blake's. Blake's is fast food ..... and has very good green chile cheeseburgers, but not as big as the one in the picture. (HOWEVER...the one at Bobcat Bite probably costs three times as much! )
LOL!!!! Well....DUHHH.......now I see why, hehehehe!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico