Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 AM

185 posts, read 488,791 times

Advertisements

You guys make me feel badly! I just bought 25 acres between Alto and Nogal, and paid a whole lot more than you're talking about! But I have a view of the Sierra Blanca on 1 side and the Capitan gap on the other.

But really, you should consider the Ruidoso area, good value (for now) and beautiful area and climate. Of course I'm biased, and you really have to be careful with water rights and all, but you can find anything from the pine forest in Ruidoso to the basin floor in Carizozo (and prices to go with.) Lots of new 2-5 acre developments going up in the area from Copper Canyon to Montaraz. Looks like the developers are betting there will be a lot of people that will want to move into the area in the next 3-5 years, even with the economy. Trouble is of course everyone sees what these guys are charging for their plots and jacking up their expectations accordingly. But like they say, they aren't making any more land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
You guys make me feel badly! I just bought 25 acres between Alto and Nogal, and paid a whole lot more than you're talking about! But I have a view of the Sierra Blanca on 1 side and the Capitan gap on the other.
That's a pretty area! We looked around there but Vista Rio Bonito seemed like a much better value for our purposes.

Quote:
Lots of new 2-5 acre developments going up in the area from Copper Canyon to Montaraz. Looks like the developers are betting there will be a lot of people that will want to move into the area in the next 3-5 years, even with the economy.
I've noticed that also... prices and the number of "developments" seem to be still rising pretty fast. I heard of a new one with 2 acre lots going in N of Capitan for $150k each... seems way over priced. I guess the tactic is to advertise like crazy to wealthy people in CA and the east coast who don't know any better. I thought the "Copper" developments were overpriced too, but they sold out quickly.

Could be a bubble about to pop... who knows... maybe not. There is still a lot of Texas money coming here and as long as oil prices stay high, it will likely keep booming.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,282 times
I bought 14 acres north of Pie Town NM about 2 years ago for about 36k. My property sits at about 7500 ft elevation. I had a well dug last year and found water at 450 feet. As a previous post mentioned, our subdivision(Ponderosa Views) has gravel roads and is well maintained. I found the property online, but flew down to see things in person before buying. The sales guy met me at a little restaurant called the Daily Pie Cafe and he took us upto see the land. It was the most pleasent and easy purchase I have every made. Larry Moss the sales guy has become a close friend. He looks after things for me. I have a 5th wheel up there and try to get out a couple of times a year. Neighbors and residents of Pie Town are super friendly. My wife was even invited to join a Ladies bible study one of the times we were there. Anyway, here is the web site. Give Larry a call and he will put your mind at ease. I hope this does not sound like I'm trying to sell you something. I was really impressed by the hospitality of Pie Town residents.

http://www.swproperties.com/

Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default Wagon Mound and Pie Town

Ive been to most every town and city in New Mexico but ive never been to Wagon Mound or Pie Town. Whats There? My High School Teacher use to talk about Pie Town when he was living there about 50 years ago. How does it compare to now? el pintada kid

Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Some questions to keep in mind...

What do you want to do with your land and is it allowed?
Do you require electric, phone, natural gas, cable, etc?
Paved access, dirt, 4WD?
How close do you want to be to town and what sort of shopping and entertainment would you like it to provide?

I realize that in 20 years things could change a lot.... but in general I'd be wary of cheap land if you want to actually build a house and live there someday. I think the prices around Ruidoso and Capitan are a good value, but a parcel with good access, utilities, well prospects, etc is going to run $50k+ for 5 acres and $120k+ for 20 acres. Can't beat the climate and scenery here. Check this link for climate data around the state: New Mexico

Old 11-12-2008, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 10,282 times
I've started visiting the Pie Town area for a couple of years now since I bought the property. There is really not a whole lot there. Couple of resturants, several small churches, real estate agencies. For grocieries, you have to either go to Springerville(about 1 hour), Quemado(convenience stores, about 1/2 hour). Or from Pie town, go east for half hour to daitl. But, there is only one small convenience store(very expensive) there. Since our property lies about 14 miles north of pie town, we actually go north to I-40 to Grants. It takes us about an hour but there is a Walmart there and we stock up with everything we need for the trip. The beauty of these small towns is that they are so remote and off the beaten path. I love having breakfast at the Daily Pie Cafe. Everybody shows up there in the morning. I do not mind the lack of shopping conveniences one bit. I get my supplies and go hang out on the property for the week. My only other companions are Elk, Coyote, rabbits and such. Oh, and Larry Moss(sales guy) comes up for a visit now and again.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 AM

93 posts, read 269,803 times
Default Cheap land between Las Cruces and El Paso

I'm in my early 40s and I'm looking to move from New Jersey to the South West to start a farm in the next nine months (my job doesn't require face to face contact). I've looked at Southern California, Nevada, Arizona and even (very briefly) Texas but I am now considering southern Dona Ana county - basically anywhere in New Mexico between Las Cruces and El Paso (Texas).

Does anyone know of a small town close to the interstate where land can be bought very cheaply (and by cheaply I mean less than $250 an acre)? I've seen West Texas land south of EP advertised for $100/ac but from my research New Mexico would probably be a better fit.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Not farm land. Farmland in the valley goes for much more than that even in really big chunks. The water alone will be worth more than that. You might look by Deming if being further away from things is acceptable. I don't think you're going to find any farmland in the state that is that inexpensive. Texas has a surplus of private land because there is no federal land so to speak. They also have much higher property taxes which impact sales price.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 AM

93 posts, read 269,803 times
Thanks for the information. By "farmland" I meant acreage, even acreage that was barren, desert or bushland. Also, how much does the cheapest land on the Texas side of the border north of EP cost?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
It's not about land cost...it's about water. Unless you've found a way to profit from growing creosote bush and cactus you're gonna need it, and probably lots of it. Cropland with water rights is not cheap.
What are you planning on growing on "barren, desert or bushland"? I'm a little puzzled.
If you're just looking for a big chunk of land, without a real plan or need to farm it, you can find lots of relatively cheap property, but drilling a well or running electricity to it might give you an idea of why it's cheap in the first place.
Talk to a realtor, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico