Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which plate is best?
The New Sunset-Balloon Plate 17 26.98%
The Old Yellow Zia Plate 42 66.67%
Who cares, whatever the MVD Gives me!!!!! 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times

Advertisements

I saw a Euro-style Texas plate the other day. I never thought I'd see that combo in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM

186 posts, read 640,042 times
I was in Portland, Oregon visiting a friend from UNM who moved there after graduation. His roommate was driving us around. All of a sudden she screamed. We didn't know what was going on. Then, she said "A NM PLATE!"...It was a car with the old yellow zia NM plates in front of us. Those things are easy to spot from a mile away lol. It was crazy seeing it all the way in the Northwest.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Perhaps, Sacred - Worthy of respect or dedication.

From Zia Pueblo Indians
To the Zia people, the sun symbol is an ancient design. It reflects the basic harmony of all things in the universe. To the Zia, four is a sacred number, as it is with many other Native American tribes. It reflects the four directions, the four seasons, the sunrise, noon, evening and night phases of the day and the four stages of life - childhood, youth, adulthood and old age.

The Zia also believe that man has four sacred obligations: to develop a strong body, a clear mind, a pure spirit and a devotion to the well being of the people. The Zia have adopted a white flag bearing the redZia sun symbol exactly as it appears on the New Mexico state flag. Above the Zia sun is the black inscription "Pueblo of Zia." Surrounding the entire flag is a black border. The combination of red, white and black reflect the colors of the Zia pottery.
Rich
Well said.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:04 PM

142 posts, read 252,938 times
I like the yellow ones too, but the new turquoise ones capture our spirit just as well. That was not a voting option, though.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
I like the yellow ones too, but the new turquoise ones capture our spirit just as well. That was not a voting option, though.
That's because the poll was created in 2008, before the Turquoise plate was created, 2010...

The license plates currently available to New Mexico drivers are shown here: http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/license-plates.aspx

Old 02-23-2017, 11:33 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I like the old yellow zia plate better than the new one.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I like the Native art ones, the ones with the black and white pueblo-style art on the lower edge, i.e. the 400th Anniversary plate. Not sure if that's still available, but it was the last time I was at the DMV registering a car.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
I love the turquoise Centennial plate. Old school and classy. And a Zia symbol and the Land Of Enchantment slogan.
Perfect.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
It has been a little too long I guess since I last spent meaningful time in the Land of Enchantment as I had no idea that the balloon plates are being discontinued. Further, I am also a big fan of the turquoise Centennial plates...I had not seen those before. I would certainly with two cars opt at least for one of those (would probably still get a yellow zia plate as well for historical purposes).

I am not a fan of the vast majority of alternate plates - who the hell wants a Western New Mexico U. plate? However, I do admit that as a former employee of Central New Mexico Technical College (the old Albuquerque TVI), I would have been tempted to put one of those on my primary vehicle. However, with my affinity for the turquoise plate as well as the yellow one, perhaps I would have been dissuaded from doing so.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
There will soon be a third option alongside the Yellow and Turquoise designs. This black Chile base will be a no-cost optional beginning soon, if not already.

New Mexico’s chile license plate design revealed | KRQE News 13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico