Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Did he really write that? Sounds like he really doesn't have a real grasp of weather for any of these areas. If Flagstaff is too cold for him (I get it, being from New Jersey myself, I won't do winter any longer) then Salt Lake City is going to colder still. Reno would be slightly warmer than Flagstaff.
After dozens of ill-informed posts filled with vague, stereotypical notions of New Mexico and the West as a whole it seems pretty clear to me that the OP's grasp of anything in the area is limited at best...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:06 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
How many miles away from ABQ do you live? I would like to know how far north or south of ABQ to get away from the stereotypical NM danger.
There are a few places in ABQ that people might be cautious about but not the entire city. My daughter lives downtown with no problems and works near Old Town. She walks to work some days. I chose to live about 15 miles north in Rio Rancho (north of Corrales) but only because I want to spend time fishing in northern NM and that was convenient and with more open space. i do my banking, shopping, and socializing in Bernalillo or maybe Corrales or northern Rio Rancho. Crime was never part of my concern or decision.

In five plus years I've been witness to one serious crime that started as a domestic fight and ended badly elsewhere. Domestic abuse crimes happen anywhere.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
After dozens of ill-informed posts filled with vague, stereotypical notions of New Mexico and the West as a whole it seems pretty clear to me that the OP's grasp of anything in the area is limited at best...
I agree...

Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We have a friend who lives in Rio Rancho, she said it's a very safe area
Rio Rancho is okay but not immune. My sister lives there; their storage shed was broken into recently as part of a spate of break-ins in their area (their neighbors and and other people in the neighborhood had their stuff broken into at the same time.)
I have a Colombian friend who lives in Albuquerque. A couple years ago her boyfriend's house was broken into while he was there. He lives in Rio Rancho. It was broken into by a couple cholos who were armed. Her boyfriend was also armed - he shot and wounded one of them. The invaders escaped. Afterwards, it was determined that one of them's father was going to be released from prison soon; the police were warning the boyfriend to be careful as they might go back and seek revenge for the shooting. Not a good situation. I'm not sure eventually what happened. I think the boyfriend for work purposes ended up moving to a different state, although I think he still owns the house in RR ...

Old 03-01-2019, 10:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Rio Rancho is okay but not immune. My sister lives there; their storage shed was broken into recently as part of a spate of break-ins in their area (their neighbors and and other people in the neighborhood had their stuff broken into at the same time.)
I have a Colombian friend who lives in Albuquerque. A couple years ago her boyfriend's house was broken into while he was there. He lives in Rio Rancho. It was broken into by a couple cholos who were armed. Her boyfriend was also armed - he shot and wounded one of them. The invaders escaped. Afterwards, it was determined that one of them's father was going to be released from prison soon; the police were warning the boyfriend to be careful as they might go back and seek revenge for the shooting. Not a good situation. I'm not sure eventually what happened. I think the boyfriend for work purposes ended up moving to a different state, although I think he still owns the house in RR ...
I would say, in terms of neighborhood structure and design, parts of Rio Rancho would approach the OPs needs in terms of having a suburban area that would most align with what he currently enjoys in New Jersey. The difference is that crimes you just mentioned like this one in Rio Rancho are simply unheard of in the area he lives in.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I would say, in terms of neighborhood structure and design, parts of Rio Rancho would approach the OPs needs in terms of having a suburban area that would most align with what he currently enjoys in New Jersey. The difference is that crimes you just mentioned like this one in Rio Rancho are simply unheard of in the area he lives in.
We have now lived in Rio Rancho for 20 years. We have three separate family member groups who live in different sections of Rio Rancho. We have had minimal crimes in those 20 years. Houses in our neighborhood were "egged" most likely by teenagers. And windows in vehicles were smashed by teenagers (they were apprehebded)...

We (My wife and I) have discussed moving, only because we have never been in one residence for 20 years or longer... Since we are retired we look at homes for sale in the entire 50 mile area. There are a lot of attractive features in Rio Rancho for us...

Pooch Plunge 2018, Adopt-a-thon, and Food Drive - Saturday, September 8, 2018, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the
Haynes Park & Pool, Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The City of Rio Rancho Parks and Recreation and Pet Food Gone Wild
have come together to mark the final days of summer. Bring your dog(s) out to Haynes Pool for one last swim before
the outdoor pools close for the season. IMG_0694 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

"Acts of Kindness Day", Saturday, October, at Haynes Park, Rio Rancho, New Mexico. IMG_1863 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_1656 by Ricardo, on Flickr. Sandia Mountain about 10 miles away from Rio Rancho. Taken on December 23, 2018.

256066839_67924ac910_b by Ricardo, on Flickr. Rio Grande at Rio Rancho, New Mexico area. Photo taken on
April 8, 2010.

IMG_1684 by Ricardo, on Flickr. Walking around Rio Rancho, New Mexico. Photo taken on December 31, 2018. Canon
SX620 HS Camera.

IMG_8976 by Ricardo, on Flickr. Rio Rancho, New Mexico Independence Day celebration held July 4th, 2018.

IMG_9826 by Ricardo, on Flickr. The 15th Annual Pork & Brew as seen on "The Cooking Channel's Carnival Eats"
returned to the Santa Ana Star Center June 29-July 1, 2018. Bringing together the best barbecue vendors from around
the region, featuring BBQ, beer, live music, cooking demos and interactive family activities will be one of the biggest
events of the summer. Galloping Grace Youth Ranch returned to the event, showcasing a petting zoo and pig races
throughout the weekend and wood carving from Sandia Bear Company. These photos were taken on June 30, 2015.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-01-2019 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 11:49 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
In the interest of balance, I should say that my Colombian friend loves New Mexico (despite what happened to her boyfriend.) She has been there for years and years and always talks maravillas about it. The first several years she was living in Los Lunas, then moved to Albq where she's been for several years. She recently bought a house there (maybe in Rio Rancho, I don't remember).

Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I wonder if retiree towns would be safer. I am an IT major and it seems like most of NM has a lot of IT jobs based on Indeed.com. Many people say that NM has no jobs, but for my field, there are TONS of IT jobs more than NJ. I bet it's easier to get a job in NM than NJ anyways since there is going to be less competition our here due to being a small not-so-desirable metropolitan area.

I am not sure how bad the young junkies are in NM. I was really impressed with the CA junkies. My cousin who is 19 lives in the Bay Area and lives a hippy life and hangs out with junkies. The CA junkies are so friendly and cool (Except I have to take caution to not breathe in their drugs)!
I haven't seen young junkies, or any junkies, here in Santa Fe. I've encountered, and been friends with, a number of young people (some -- computer geeks), but no junkies. They do exist, as the issue comes up in my current Grand Jury service, but in day-to-day life, you don't run into them. Hint: they're mostly in the barrios.

Yes, NM has lots of IT jobs. You could live pretty well here, as an IT guy, because of the relatively low COL. though that varies. Still, you'll do fine.

NM is a different kind of place, in a good way IMO; what it has to offer is Native American cultural events, Native art markets, craft fairs, including old-time Hispanic arts and crafts, and such things. It's a world apart, in some ways. Some young people might find that boring. Others find it enriching.

It's a different pace of life; Santa Fe, Taos, and probably Los Alamos, shut down by around 9:30 p.m. The social scene takes place as much in people's homes in the evenings, as out around town. In that sense, you could say NM tends to be a low-key, sleepy place, which suits some people. It might not suit you, I have no idea. Just giving you a heads-up. Could be a culture shock from Joizy & NYC. But there are a lot of New Yorkers here, and they like it. Granted, most are a bit older than you...

If you require more action and glitz, you might be happier in ABQ.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I have the feeling that the part of New Jersey OP is from is more of a sleepy little burg where a dropped box of cupcakes make the front page news and the biggest scandal was revealed at a recent PTA meeting when it was rumored that a boy in the school got an earring.

I think Albuquerque, Reno, or even Salt Lake City, would eat our poor boy alive.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:47 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
It seems like based on every thread I wrote regarding the West, I can conclude that the West is a place where someone needs to visit it to truly learn it. I visited the West when I was little, so I wouldn't remember any vacations from that time, but when I visited California back in 2016, I loved it! So much better than expected! Visited Seattle in 2016 and loved it better than expected! Well, I can assume ABQ would be the same feeling too, but I NEED to visit it!
Everyone's different, but when I came out for an interview I didn't like what little I saw of the city. It was December, everything was brown, the weather was cloudy and colder than usual. But I really liked the people I would be working with so that's the main reason I took the job. I learned to like ABQ over time, it took some getting used to a car culture and urban sprawl when I was used to denser urban living and getting around by subways and walking. I never owned a car until after I moved here in my late 20s. Finally I was able to afford my own apartment instead of having roommates because of the high COL back east.

There are junkies in every city but they are not on my radar here, I'm too occupied with other people and things. Albuquerque is full of great down-to-earth people, not pretentious like a lot of transplants to Santa Fe. I know lots of Santa Fe natives who live in Albuquerque because they got priced out of Santa Fe. If you try to avoid ABQ because of junkies, you will also be avoiding a large concentration of people you would like who make ABQ home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico