Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I wouldn't even need a gun to live on deer meat in Ruidoso....

Actually I was thinking I could club them over the head, but there is plenty of roadkill if someone doesn't beat me to it.

For several years there was a man who the Ruidoso PD called whenever there was a fresh road kill. He butchered and skinned the deer, gave the meat away, sold the antlers, tanned the hides and sold them or made clothing from the hides that he then sold to western enactors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 02:36 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I prefer elk quite a bit more than deer. For me, deer is too gamey.

Blue grouse can also be hunted in NM - it's delicious, the best tasting bird I've ever had.

There are ranches in Central NM with herds of some sort of antelope creature that was introduced from Africa. People hunt those. It's a decent taste, but I still prefer Elk.

A lot of Elk in NM, plenty of hunting opportunities for those.

There's also a lot of places around the state where you can buy these different kinds of meats in dried jerky form. Also in Santa Fe about 10 years ago there was a burger joint there that offered burgers with these different kinds of meats, including more exotic stuff like ostrich. I don't know if that's still there, I don't remember the name. I could ask my friend about it if anyone's interested.

Last edited by 80skeys; 03-09-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
We have elk in town also, but they seem to get hit less by cars.

The African beast is an Oryx. They are most plentiful in the White Sands area. They are big! Just a little smaller than an elk.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The African beast is an Oryx.
Yes that's the one. I've eaten steaks of that because we used to have neighbors who were hunters and they ended up bringing back those on a few occasions. It was a decent meat, I didn't find it as gamey as deer.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:57 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I didn't find it as gamey as deer.

All wild game will have a "gamey" taste. Making it palatable depends on the skills and recipes of the cook! Also the texture of the meat can vary considerably depending on the environment the animal lived in.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:16 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I prefer elk quite a bit more than deer. For me, deer is too gamey.

Blue grouse can also be hunted in NM - it's delicious, the best tasting bird I've ever had.

There are ranches in Central NM with herds of some sort of antelope creature that was introduced from Africa. People hunt those. It's a decent taste, but I still prefer Elk.

A lot of Elk in NM, plenty of hunting opportunities for those.

There's also a lot of places around the state where you can buy these different kinds of meats in dried jerky form. Also in Santa Fe about 10 years ago there was a burger joint there that offered burgers with these different kinds of meats, including more exotic stuff like ostrich. I don't know if that's still there, I don't remember the name. I could ask my friend about it if anyone's interested.

Way back when my wife and I were in our 20's we lived over on the Olympic Peninsula in Forks, WA. One Saturday we took a drive to the Pacific Ocean town of La Push and while on that drive we stopped in the woods at the Three Rivers Resort on La Push Road in Forks. We decided to try the elk/beef burgers. Wow were those ever good burgers!

Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM

With enough spices you can make anything taste good!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
With enough spices you can make anything taste good!

Does that apply to the old-school cheeseburgers McDonald's now sells from their $1 menu?

Old 03-11-2019, 12:39 PM

honestly I could probably totally replace beef with elk in my diet and I'd be fine with it. If I could, I would. But neither my dad nor I were ever hunters (fishermen, yeah, but not hunters) so we only get elk meat whenever hunters friends/neighbors share their meat with us.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Does that apply to the old-school cheeseburgers McDonald's now sells from their $1 menu?
Tabasco will fix that right up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico