Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,393 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I just found this forum and am excited to get some good info! My husband and I are planning retirement in the next few years- maybe even sooner if I have my way. We currently live in SW Oklahoma but want to look at the Alamogordo/Las Cruces area for a possible retirement location. We want an area that has low humidity - tired of this sweltering Oklahoma heat/humidity - and is fairly close to a military base. We are planning a trip to look around the first part of July. Does anyone have any suggestions for us??? Things to see and do; places to eat; a good realtor to talk to?????? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
redy2retire:

Welcome to the New Mexico City-Data Forum!

This is a great place to get your questions answered. I have personally found it invaluable in the past two years.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
redy2retire wants:

> ... suggestions ... Things to see ... places to eat; a good realtor ...

> We are planning a trip to look around the first part of July.

Yeah, forget the realtor and the pressure.

Suggestion: Use Search and look for the information you seek and ask specific questions later - after you have visited and searched.

Search Search Search: Your questions have already been answered, so there is no need to wait for responses here.

Biggest suggestion: Have a fun trip here and don't make it some sort of business plan. It's not like you can't make a trip out here and collect fliers and such then make the simple and easy trip back here from OK the next month and the next month after that for that matter.

EnjoyEp wishes he could just pack up the car and make it here in a few hours don'cha pal?

July's a great time to visit because you will see the hottest and most humid weather and can judge if you -- like Towanda can't stand Las Cruces.

Hint: Don't listen to Towanda regarding Las Cruces. She's a hot-weenie.

Later, you can come in October and see the leaves change during the best weather of the year (read the Favorite Month in Albuquerque thread)

Later still, you can come in January and see if places are too cold for you (but don't listen to penelopelp who is a cold-weenie).

Later later, you can start doing work toward the "business" part of this life journey. Don't make this so hard on yourself and Search Search Search.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 6,393 times
Thanks Mortimer! Your advice is sound! I agree, this will be a fun trip for us -- and as far as a few hours drive -- it is actually 9 hours I do like your idea about coming out in each season to see what it is like. I have read and searched everything I can find about the area. Just thought I could get some priceless tidbits from those that are in the know!!!! --- I hate reinventing the wheel unless it is necessary.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Yeah.....so is Cathy4017!!!

And yeah, I'm still whining about it, too.....

Make NO mistake about it.....EP, Las Cruces...and...Alamogordo to a lesser degree...are hot as h***!!! BUT...it's not as hot as what I left.....Midland has already hit 107 this spring/summer, and we just had 101 for the first time day before yesterday. It was "only" 98 here yesterday....and I am forever grateful that I got refrigerated air instead of a swamp cooler. *Whew.*

The saving graces are the cooler nights/mornings and very low humidity of Alamogordo. You won't ever get me south of here again, LOL!! The mornings are very nice and breezy...I'm sitting out on the patio with my coffee, enjoying it! It will be bearable out here in the shade until about noon or so.

All in all, even if I hate the summer heat right now, Alamo is a beautiful, beautiful place, with so much to offer, even with the drawbacks.

Winters are fantastic.

Come OOOON, November.....

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Mortimer isn't called the second biggest curmudgeon for nothing! BTW, who is #1?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
Come and enjoy the area. Alamo is a great city for me. I like the heat.. and I hate humidity..LOL
The best thing to do is look around, and don't forget Tularosa, Cloudcroft and if you like to be more isolated think of Timberon, Weed, and other small places.
If you go up to Cloudcroft, the Lodge is a fun lunch. Its something that you will remember.
Get on Realtor.com and check out the areas and homes.
Read all the former posts on the area and then ask more questions.
And I enjoy all seasons here.
Jane

Old 06-12-2008, 10:58 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

July's a great time to visit because you will see the hottest and most humid weather and can judge if you -- like Towanda can't stand Las Cruces.

I purposely DID NOT mention that the south is too hot for me.

I think everyone who wants to live anyplace in New Mexico NEEDS (MUST!!!) make a trip out here and look at the areas in which they are interested. Several trips at several times of the year if possible. And LOTS of internet research before the trips.

And I agree with mortimer on the realtor -- skip the realtor on your first and second and third trip. See the state for yourself. There is plenty of time for realtors later.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redy2retire View Post
Hi all! I just found this forum and am excited to get some good info! My husband and I are planning retirement in the next few years- maybe even sooner if I have my way. We currently live in SW Oklahoma but want to look at the Alamogordo/Las Cruces area for a possible retirement location. We want an area that has low humidity - tired of this sweltering Oklahoma heat/humidity - and is fairly close to a military base. We are planning a trip to look around the first part of July. Does anyone have any suggestions for us??? Things to see and do; places to eat; a good realtor to talk to?????? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA

Well las Cruces and Alamogordo are very different. If you like the small town quality of life with small malls/stores and a rugged look/feel and not fancy then you may like Alamo which is at 40,000 population. If you like the larger city that has a large mall and major hospitals and freeways and a large college NMSU then you'll probably prefer Las Cruces at 95,000 population.

Alamogordo is closer to it's Air Force base Holloman which is 10 minutes from Alamo. Las Cruces is about 25 minutes from White Sands Missle range and also you have to go over a high mountain to and from so if being close to a base is a concern then Alamo may be better.

But yeap you really need to visit yourself as we can give advice all day but when you visit then you'll know in your heart whether it's the place for you or not.

Does that help some.......
6/3

Old 06-12-2008, 02:01 PM

146 posts, read 440,487 times
It's Alamo all the way, for us!

Right now, my husband is down there, looking at houses.

What I did is start with the VA website, to find where there were facilities, and went from there.... we don't want a big city, so I started to look at Alamo... went to the city website, looked at pictures of the area, Hubby got on GoogleEarth, and checked out the area.... we looked at what's there for the things we like... and I went on REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and started to look at houses...

I've sent Keith with a list of areas to look at (although it seems that he's looking at more remote areas than I would like), and he's checking to see if he likes the area. This is important for us, because if he doesn't like it, it won't work....

Now, we have a lot of variables that will determine when we get down there - but yesterday isn't too soon for me (we live in Iowa, and got the same storm that killed 4 Boy Scouts - yes, I spent time in our storm cellar and heard a jet sound.... there's damage here and I'm not working this afternoon due to the storms). We also have a house here to sell.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico