Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,478,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Water conservation activists say that if the drought continues, the water shortage will severely impact our ability to live here, and that will happen within the next 3-5 years.
Do you have a reference for this statement; never heard anyone say that.

See http://www.abcwua.org/pdfs/WC_10YR_Plan.pdf for info from the local water utility, both on how successful they have been over the past two decades in lowering per capita water use and regarding possible future water conservation efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Do you have a reference for this statement; never heard anyone say that.

It's BS.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM

75 posts, read 105,355 times
I'm told that the Rio Grande has run dry before it reaches the ocean.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM

802 posts, read 984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisCowboy View Post
I'm told that the Rio Grande has run dry before it reaches the ocean.
like the Colorado River, the flows are down and the capture/usage is up. The feds and conservationists are trying to negotiate with rights holders to do controlled flow releases to maintain and restore downstream habitats, ditches, and reservoirs. might be too little, too late for the Rio Grande.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM

75 posts, read 105,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
like the Colorado River, the flows are down and the capture/usage is up. The feds and conservationists are trying to negotiate with rights holders to do controlled flow releases to maintain and restore downstream habitats, ditches, and reservoirs. might be too little, too late for the Rio Grande.
Is that a lawsuit now?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Curious item: If you look at the compacts that govern distribution of Colorado River water you'll find that the percentages given to the various stake holders (Mexico, AZ, CA, etc) amount to more than 100%.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
I visited Elephant Butte Reservoir on the Rio Grande last month and was shocked at how low the water level had fallen. What had been a large impressive lake looked more like an overgrown mud puddle in comparison. This drought has been very real, folks.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
Isn't the low level of the lake is mostly due to releasing more water to Tejas (than ever before) as part of a legal settlement?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Isn't the low level of the lake is mostly due to releasing more water to Tejas (than ever before) as part of a legal settlement?
I'm certainly no expert on legal agreements between the states on water rights. But I'll go way out on a limb here and speculate that the increased water release to Texas is probably a result of the drought. And Elephant Butte's inability to refill after that discharge may well be due to... the drought.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
My understanding - there is currently a lawsuit taking place but it's not settled yet. Something about the increased pumping to compensate for the lack of surface water (by EBID members) drawing down the water table so much that water soaks in rather going downstream even if it released.

Fact is, since there is no water to send downstream, they aren't getting squat this year. I don't believe they are even going to open the gates at the Butte this year. I know the river bed is bone dry right now and I've never seen it without water this time of year going back 30 years. Can't get blood out of a stone, as they say. The drought is most definitely the big player in the lack of water in the Elephant Butte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico