Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Just seems too early in the spring for the dust/wind storms to be starting, doesn't it?
No, at least not here in Alamo, like I said we always knew when the first track meet was because we would have a stupid wind storm like this, sure enough today was Alamo's first track meet. Then towards the end of track season the winds stop and it gets hot at the meets. I sure am glad my track kid is out of high school and none of the others do track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Okay, I was thinking more starting in April and continuing through May.

Up here in Santa Fe, it is very windy, but I have not noticed dust today. Pretty clear view of the mountains to the north and west.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Okay, I was thinking more starting in April and continuing through May.

Up here in Santa Fe, it is very windy, but I have not noticed dust today. Pretty clear view of the mountains to the north and west.

Lucky you, it was bad here today and very low visibility. I could see the Sacramento Mts mainly because we live close to them but the Organs toward Las Cruces we couldn't see at all. The wind finally died down around 8 this evening but it is definately cooler.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,538 times
My sister-in-law lives in Albuquerque and she always tells me that Albuquerque does not suck, it blows!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
ok, you've all talked me out of wanting to live anywhere in NM. Can't abide that wind and sand and dust in my house, hair, mouth, car, bed, and various and sundry other places.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Looks like I could run the house/shop on a couple of wind turbines. Thanks for ressurecting this thread.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Looks like I could run the house/shop on a couple of wind turbines. Thanks for ressurecting this thread.
Wind power has long been a critical element in making the SW USA a more livable place. It's now undergoing a renaissance as huge wind farms are built.

M-a-n-y years ago you would see wind turbines on remote ranches and other sites in this part of the country (SW USA). As rural electrification provided the means for people to run power lines long distances onto private property, the popularity of wind turbines declined.

Windmills - which have historically provided shallow well water for livestock and domestic use in the SW - are still around even though many wells may have been provided with electric of engine driven pumps as water tables fell.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Default Wind

So today we are getting our first taste of the famous wind we heard about before we moved here. I have heard that so far this spring has been very mild compared to most. How does today's wind compare to the wind in a normally windy season?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
I'm not in Cruces right now, so I couldn't tell you about there, but I am in Capitan and we had a power outage, four small grass fires, and Carrizozo also lost power totally.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,320 times
I think it's about normal. The first time I moved here was in March 1971. I was 13 and thought we had moved to the worst place on earth. I had chapped lips for 3 months. My sister and I had to sweep the floor 3 times a day because of all the dirt. I got a paper route and when the wind blew I was literally standing on the bike pedals and moving hardly at all. It was easier to walk the route at those times. I was so glad when the wind was at my back. I learned to love this place though. This is my third time living here and I don't want to move again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico