Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM

261 posts, read 936,372 times

Advertisements

C'mon folks. You get what you pay for. You know that. The big box stores sell stuff cheap because it's ...... cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
C'mon folks. You get what you pay for. You know that. The big box stores sell stuff cheap because it's ...... cheap.
Up to a point....when services are as $$$ as they are and lousy on top of that, it's another matter entirely.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Anyone out there have the same type of problem re: parts missing from electical items.
Again and this is the 3rd or 4th time that we have purchased lighting fixtures from HD and had parts missing

NOW that BIG PROBLEM IS: today out electricians come out (150 miles roundtrip) to install hanging light fixtures for our log home (high ceiling) using rented scaffolding and set it up and open the boxes and start putting together the light fixtures ONLY TO NOT HAVE ALL THE PARTS. Now it is not possible to open every box and know if all the parts are there before taking it out of the store...I am not an electrician and cannot determine that, AND HOME DEPOT DOES NOT HAVE THE HELP THAT CAN DO IT EITHER..

So, I am going to have to wait for x days to get shipped what we need, (the local store doesn't carry it). and then I am getting an invoice from my electricians and taking it to HD and asking them to reinburse us for the added cost this is causing...which is costing me more $$$

When I called HD today they said...sorry....about that..
we can reorder and it will take about 15 days...like the flooring contractor is due out and we have to hold off now to keep the scaffolding up...additional $$$.BTW THE PARTS WERE NOT MADE IN THE USA...Like most stuff it was outsourced to CHINA...and they can't do it right...

Mad as a wet hornets nest....

I WILL NOT SHOP AT HOME DEPOT AGAIN AFTER THIS EXPERIENCE.
I will have to drive to ABQ or Showlow,Az and go to Lowes....they are much more able to help out...

HW
If we did not live soooo far apart, I'd help you.

In wisconsin, a couple of years before we left, we tore off our old roof, rebuilt walls and constructed a cathedral ceiling, and I hung 2 ceiling fans in it. I can tell you that rounding up hardware wasn't that big of a deal because we had a fully and well stocked Menards building center.

I can also tell you that hanging ceiling fans from angling ceilings is whole different ball game than hanging one from a flat ceiling, much different.

Hanging fans from angled ceilings requires a special type of electric box, ball and socket downrods, longer fan wires, the whole gig is enough to drive a person nuts, especially when your building supplier is lame.

You have my sympathy, wished I could send you some excedrin.

And, my fans were chinese too.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
I had an unrelated, but also serious problem with Home Despot. We had bought a new frig and a dishwasher, which were supposed to have free delivery. OK, you pay $55 each when you buy the items, then send in rebate forms to get the $110 back. No big deal, right? WRONG!! After 4 or 5 letters to them (which they ignored) I got the Minnesota State Attorney's office involved (since they have been pretty aggressive going after fake rebate offers.) They wrote a letter to HD's Texas office and about 2 weeks later, I got some B.S. letter saying I didn't have the right SKU number or some crap like that. Fortunately, I had copies of everything and sent back in (copies the SA office) and 3 weeks later they responded that yes, everything was OK and the check will be sent out right away. 1 month later no check, so got back with the SA's office, where they wrote another letter. HD came back 3 weeks later saying the check had gone to the wrong address or some other BS and a new check will be issued. I did finally get the check a few weeks ago, but it was the better part of 9 months (and a lot of crap) to get them to keep their part of the agreement. I told the SA's office that if they wanted to go after them for fradulant practices I would be the first on any class action suit they wanted to pursue!

Unbelievable that a company with such a long history and formerly a good reputation would p*** it away like this. We are fortunate to have Menard's here in the upper midwest, so I'm going to miss them when we move to 'Zozo in a couple of months. From what you guys say, Lowe's might not be too bad.

Anyway, the topic hit a nerve with me and thanks for letting me vent!
Great post, and I predict that you have a very productive future at CD forums! Very humorous, but right on!

These days at any retailer I mostly avoid buying items with rebates. The trivial benefit of the rebate is not worth the anguish and labor to get them to pay you. This is not just Home Depot (Despot!). It's any store with rebates.

+rep for you

Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 AM

185 posts, read 488,819 times
Thanks for all your helpful advice! Yes, I do try to avoid rebates like the plague, they are certainly more hassle than they are worth. Trouble is, I've got too much hard-headed Danish blood in me to let me drop something like that. I drive my wife nuts, but if a company says they will do something, I'll pursue them and spend $10 to get $1 back! Sickness I know, but ask me sometime about my experience with Wirefly and getting back $500 in AT&T rebates. Suffice it to say I got the $500, but man what a ride! Secret I've found is keep copies of everything, send forms with the delivery confirmations, and don't give up! These companies seem OK to blow off individuals, but when they get a letter from the State's Attorney's office, things start happening. So all you kids out there, repeat after me, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!" and keep after these buggers. The SA's office told me these companies lose their tail on rebates, and they figure most people will just give up and then they keep the money. But don't let them get away with that!! (I think I hear the black helicopters circling now!!)

SunInHair, how long since you've been back to Anoka? Minnesota nice has changed over the past 10 years, and not for the better either. Tax rates are 3rd highest in the country (depending on who you talk to of course), and they had 4 murders in MSP over the weekend. Cab drivers at the airport dictate to you where they will go and if you have a pet or alcohol in your luggage they refuse to drive you. They will ask before you get into their car-I'm not kidding! You know the Anoka school system is the largest in the state now? And you should hear the problems there! Unemployment hit 8.5% last month and more layoffs coming. Still very nice people here of course and 3-4 months of the year the weather is beautiful. But truly, after spending a week in the Ruidoso/'Zozo area, it was a shock to come back here! So yes, come visit, but I'd strongly recommend you stay in the Land of Enchantment for all you can!!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Hunter & Hogfarmer

I buy my electrical stuff, except for light bulbs, from a electrical lighting store that deals with the professionals. I would never buy light fixtures or anything more complex from the Home Despot. I get plumbing items, including an electric water heater, from a local plumbing supply store. So far we have bought the dishwasher, electric kitchen stove, cloths dryer and washer from SEARS.

I currently live in a relatively heavily populated area so all these stores are available. If and when I move to the boonies, like Hunter, I would probably have the electrical fixtures supplied by the contractor. He will buy the good stuff because he would not want a 150 mile comeback. In the meantime I can do my own plumbing, simple electrical wiring (but I would be reluctant to wire my own house and would never wire someone else’s) and most other home building and repair. Same goes for pre electronic cars.

My policy is to buy good stuff and keep it forever. Or at least until the rust eats it up.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
My experience has been Lowes tends to have better quality material. I think Lowes has been around longer.

Light fixtures? Well, there are some low quality fixtures out there because that is what the consumer wants...

My home in Pennsylvania was a "Lowes Kit", the owner started building it in 1977 I think and he finished the third floor around 1986...

Rich

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 AM

185 posts, read 488,819 times
Default So what's a guy to do?

Guys, need your help. Like GregW, we've been blessed living in the Upper Midwest with a good work ethic and people that generally do what they say they are going to do. Never perfect of course, but not bad And please, PLEASE don't take this wrong, but from the little experience we have in the Southern Land of Manana, it's really, really hard to find qualified people who actually do what they say they are going to do. But now we're heading to 'Zozo, which we really love and are looking forward to, but we're really leary of getting burned by contractors and handymen. We've heard way too many stories about people running off with down payments and not doing the job, shoddy workmanship, and just bad results. I know there will always be bad apples but seems like a very high proportion.

Case in point is now we have to pull up about 2,000 fts of carpet, and sand/finish the hardwood floors, or put down new flooring. We also need to rip up a bathroom and totally replace that, including some of the copper piping. Does anyone have any suggestions on who they would trust? How about the Home Depot/Lowes "approved contractors"? Is this a safer, more trustworthy way to go? We don't mind paying money for quality work, but who to trust? Thanks guys!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
We've heard way too many stories about people running off with down payments and not doing the job, shoddy workmanship, and just bad results. I know there will always be bad apples but seems like a very high proportion.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who they would trust? How about the Home Depot/Lowes "approved contractors"? Is this a safer, more trustworthy way to go?
1. Get three estimates.

2. Ask for proof of insurance. If a worker is injured at your home, are they going to sue you? If applicable, ask if they are bonded, verify the bond.

3. Make sure they are licensed in the city they are doing the work. Verify that license with the city.

4. I have looked at some of the Home Depot/Lowes "approved contractors". Over the years I have found Sears to be pretty good also (Siding on one house, Custom A/C system on another house). Sears has always had a good price over you calling independent contractors (IC), yet Sears uses some of those same IC's.

5. Get the estimate in writing.

I taught my wife to do all of the above about 25 years ago... I use to do a lot of my own work but there are a few things which are better done by a professional (cheaper, faster better quality).

Rich

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
How about the Home Depot/Lowes "approved contractors"? Is this a safer, more trustworthy way to go? We don't mind paying money for quality work, but who to trust? Thanks guys!
We used a "Lowes approved contractor" once for formica installation. They (Lowes) really didn't add much value to the process other than being a middleman who took our $$$. If you could find out who Lowes uses, it may be better to go directly to that approved contractor if you can.

Having said this, let me add that I prefer Lowes to "Slave Depot" (as someone I knew who once worked there called it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico