Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
6/3 - sorry guys. I was really depressed this morning due to my sleep apnea acting up. When I don’t get proper REM my mind plays tricks with my emotions and I can write some real nonsense. The Socorro plans are still on track and a few more people are a few more customers.
It's o.k. dude....as we have all been down that road before .

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
GregW worries:

> ... if housing inflates to unreal levels ...

I realize you posted a retraction, but some perspective:

The only places where housing inflates to unreal levels for an extended period of time is where there is very limited space to build new houses - like the Bay Area, Boston Area, D.C. Area and stuff like that.

Places like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Miami are seeing housing prices heading right back to the trend which has held up for the past century. For people in the market for houses there, it's 2003-2002 again.

> If this spaceport really works it looks like my desire to retire
> to New Mexico will become unaffordable.

If this spaceport really works, it will take decades to have any kind of 'economy' build up around it. Maybe, if they are lucky, people who are currently pooping in their diapers today might be able to get jobs en masse there well after they are potty-trained and educated.

Besides, I thought you were getting pretty close to your 'retirement' or 'semi-retirement' plan fruition?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
I think in the beginning it
will be the contracting people that are making the money which many
or most will not be from the area at all. Most of the contractors here in
Southern NM probably would not be qualified to pull off such a large project
but they might hire a few workers from the area.

This has been the trend for several years now. In my experiance you hardly see any locals on these type of projects. Unless they are cleaning porta johns, security gaurds or something similar for a contractor. Some of the larger contractors from out of state will not even hire locals. They claim the locals will work for a couple of weeks to collect a checka. Once they get the check they go on a bender and come back a few weeks later to see if they are still employed. Many will file false workers comp claims.

I was at a project this past year were the company from TX was doing all the work. They had mostly illegals on the job. ICE was called many a time on them. I'm sure if ICE ever did anything the TX company would have just brought some different illegals to do the jobs.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Like I said, occasionally I will write nonsense and it gets past the filter. The snowbird, semi-retirement plan is still on track although this summer’s recon trip has been postponed due to unexpected expenses. Not to mention lodging, gasoline and air fare prices..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
_yb; I sort of doubt there are many (any?) contractors in Sierra Cty who can do a job as big as the Spaceport. I won't be surprised if the majority of it goes to a general contractor with a national or at least regional footprint.
That being said, subcontractors are hired all the time by the general for parts of the whole, and I think that's probably where local trades and companies will benefit. When construction gets underway all those folks will have to live somewhere and it won't be greater downtown Upton. Might be a good time to have rental properties, sell some land or feed and care for people. It's likely that a "build out" of the whole project will take a long time, maybe years, and as the facility expands it's client base that will generate other construction projects for those specific companies.
While I don't expect Sir Richard to be building a house in T r C anytime soon, management and high skilled (well paid) people will want quality homes and services and that's where T r C and Las Cruces will see benefits.
Local people will get good jobs much as they do at WSMR...some will come from elsewhere, some will be homegrown (a lot, hopefully) but they all become local after a while. I see obits of 70+ year olds who came to White Sands for a job long ago and never left, even if they changed careers. Smart people are good to have here. (God knows, there are already enough functional illiterates, which partially explains why Dona Ana is so poor.) NMSU has benefitted greatly from WSMR people who moved into the University to teach or do research, and a well educated talent pool is key to attracting high paying, clean industry jobs to the Mesilla Valley. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
When they built Los Alamos, they brought in a Arizona firm to do the construction. And the scientists were recruited from outside the state. Locals were maids, construction workers, etc.

But of course, scientists stayed and have contributed to a higher educational level and spin off firms.

Housing prices have escalated, but Los Alamos has only so much land. It would seem very different down south.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:05 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
If I were to guess, I'd say it might be a decade before the Spaceport project really starts to show broad based (outside of construction jobs, etc.) effects on the S. New Mexico economy and culture. But, technology moves so fast these days...who knows?
Nothing will magically transform one of the poorest areas in the USA in the short term, unfortunately. But, if it doesn't start now, when? It's all a bet on the future.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:48 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Default Truth or Consequences Spaceport & Race Track?

The Spaceport, is for privitized space travel by who? With trips to 60 miles high, and, at a cost of, what is it? $250,000.00 each? And, what local businesses that are here now will benefit from the spaceport? If any? Will the Spacport rely on other businesses from out of town for support? Evidently, the taxpayers must have thought that ok'ing a tax would bring dollars and new jobs to T or C. Frankly speaking, I don't see any rocket scientists wandering around in T or C.
And, the new racetrack. I've heard that it's going to have a housing area, shops, mini-malls, golf course, plus an array of other services. Will this directly benefit T or C? Will it create jobs for locals, or, again, will they have the need to import jobs and manufacturing from other areas.
I have been around racetracks in my very much younger years, and racecar owners, drivers and mechanics alike will tell you, race cars prefer a cool to moderate climate. Not that Sierra County is not at all moderate, but it does get very, very hot here during summer months, and they must be planning to run races either very early in the day, or late evening, or, racing in the fall and winter when temps are cooler. I don't think race cars and drivers appreciate 100 degree heat, maybe I'm wrong?
Another point I'd like to bring up is, where are all of these construction workers and contractors going to be housed when both of these are being built? T or C has limited resources.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I guess it's damn if you do and damn if you don't for T or C. If it doesn't grow then people complain of no stores or shopping and nothing to see and do etc. But if it grows from the Spaceport etc... then there's no where to house the new workers and traffic issues etc...

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Default A housing Shortage

well, 6/3, you're as right as it gets. but, this shortage of quality single family housing sort of bugged me when I arrived here a few years ago. If I had a zillion dollars, I would build apartment complexes for families with 2 to 3 children, or build modestly priced homes for these size families, and all would be modestly priced so that people could afford to actually rent or buy. Presently, if one wants to rent a home or apartment, it's costly around here. It's costly even for a couple. I'd like to see more affordable housing available for people who live at or below the level of poverty, which I think is about or less than $17,000.00 per year? I just sometimes wonder why no investors have taken the plunge here in T or C, real estate normally increases in value, but with a rocky housing market at this time, maybe that's why no investors have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I guess it's damn if you do and damn if you don't for T or C. If it doesn't grow then people complain of no stores or shopping and nothing to see and do etc. But if it grows from the Spaceport etc... then there's no where to house the new workers and traffic issues etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico