Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times

Advertisements

My half sister grew-up in T or C. She hated it, and left for New York and became a model.

I would think that area would be a great place to live and would grow with the lakes right there. Not to mention the monies made on the speed traps. =)

The space port, thats the one being built by the Virgin Mobile guy right?

A Spaceport for Treehuggers | Global Warming | DISCOVER Magazine

Spaceport America

I think it will be a major boon for the whole region.. Van Horn also has a space port going in.. so this is where the new frontier will first be found, and explored. Gene Roddenberry would be so very proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times
Default What Speed Traps?

As a "usually" law abiding citizen, I do see the local PD out trying to increase revenue! When you're coming down that hill, past where the PD is now located, 'the old funeral parlor', is the speed trap. Modern radar detection can clock a vehicle up to at least 1/2 mile away. They'll sit in Alco or Martin Motors, and wait to pounce. Limit is 25, but, people forget to ride the brake coming down the hill. As for me, I never used to be a law abiding person. As a former cargo expediter, I didn't bend the traffic laws, I blatently broke them. Often, speeding was my crime. If the limit was 70, I'd drive 80 or faster. Once, I drove from Milwaukee Wisconsin to Pueblo Colorado in 18 hours flat, straight thru, only stopping for fuel, java, and the batroom robin. another time, milwaukee to huntsville alabama in 14 hours. was the pay good? extremely, but you had to keep your peepers open, or risk the ditch or worse. Now, I do the limit or less. helps keep my insurance rates lower.
I can see why a young person would dislike T or C, there ain't much happening for the young folks around here to do. maybe that's why some end up doing what they're not supposed to be doing, "drugs"? who's to say. It's a good thing she was smart enough to leave and not get involved or entrapped into something bad.
Virgin Galactic is the firm's name, and I hope they can "take off with it".
Yes, a major enrichment of the economy for this area would be fantastic, we wish them success!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
My half sister grew-up in T or C. She hated it, and left for New York and became a model.

I would think that area would be a great place to live and would grow with the lakes right there. Not to mention the monies made on the speed traps. =)

The space port, thats the one being built by the Virgin Mobile guy right?

A Spaceport for Treehuggers | Global Warming | DISCOVER Magazine

Spaceport America

I think it will be a major boon for the whole region.. Van Horn also has a space port going in.. so this is where the new frontier will first be found, and explored. Gene Roddenberry would be so very proud.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 07-24-2008 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: another misspelled word, I ain't perfect

Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Default Spaceport Roadwork Begins

It still will be a while before the Spaceport is up and running and all the jobs and spinoff jobs but at least it's being reported today the the Roadwork from the Spaceport to I-25 has begun.

Good for SOUTHERN New Mexico!!

Spaceport roadwork begins in Engle - Las Cruces Sun-News

Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Exciting times!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
Nice! How did I miss this article? hehe.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Hopeful development. Time will tell how well NM benefits.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Hold a sec. Doesn't Otero County have to approve the Spaceport tax on the November ballot question before this construction would begin?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Not if it is privately funded Mike.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hold a sec. Doesn't Otero County have to approve the Spaceport tax on the November ballot question before this construction would begin?
No. Since Dona Ana and Sierra counties have already approved the tax for their counties, construction can proceed. It should go forward whether or not we in Otero county approve a tax for our county. It's on the November ballot.

Richardson is coming to Alamogordo Monday to talk about it. Whether Otero county becomes part of the Spaceport entity is anybody's guess.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Default Virgin Galactic Ready to Sign Spaceport Agreement

Very exciting news for Southern New Mexico.

From today's LC Sun-News:

"A signed agreement is a major milestone for the $198 million spaceport that is planned for southern Sierra County, about 45 miles north of Las Cruces. The spaceport is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2010."

Virgin Galactic ready to sign spaceport deal - Las Cruces Sun-News

Related goings on around the area:
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_10780552
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico