Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times

Advertisements

Your advice is well taken GregW. I'll check it out...planned to anyway. May actually start up in LC since I've noted the fitness industry is alive and well down farther south. Incidentally, most of the complaints I've heard originated from Lawmen (cops/deps) who desire regular workouts but can't get them at the Jungle Gym. Not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Default Local Newspaper Link

dear friend,
here's a link to the herald publisher, occasionally, they'll print position openings in the Sierra County Sheriff's office and, in the local T or C police department. you'll have to have adobe reader to view the pages, because it is in pdf format. here's the link Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Your advice is well taken GregW. I'll check it out...planned to anyway. May actually start up in LC since I've noted the fitness industry is alive and well down farther south. Incidentally, most of the complaints I've heard originated from Lawmen (cops/deps) who desire regular workouts but can't get them at the Jungle Gym. Not good.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up More Truth!

Ain't that the truth. you shoud've been here when a group calling itself the ICA (informed citizens alliance) tried stonewalling wally world from building and opening. most of these chronies were local business owners.
once when I was purchasing an item at a local hardware store, there was a big poster above the door, with the depiction of a tombstone on it which read of course RIP, and the poster also read "Death Of A Small Town" over the walmart thing. I'm convinced the propreitor of the hardware store was a member of the ICA. speaking of cliques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
dracul - Before you make too many plans check out the local Chamber of Commerce, Planning Board, Building Dept, Sherrif's office etc and the NM State Business listings. Compare names to see if a small clique is locking up opportunities. Always be careful of local monopolies. They really hate competition.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks pal, as usual, you're very well informed and your points are of use to me. I actually applied for an open deputy position back in April but have not heard back from human resources. I called last week and I got a lot of telephone shoulder shrugging. Guesss I'll try again this week and write a letter.

We are planning to fly down to El Paso over the Holidays, or earlier if we can swing it, and check LC out for about a week. Everything, however, is on hold until after I get my hand repaired.

Last edited by dracul; 09-22-2008 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: typos due to gimped hand.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM

32 posts, read 149,808 times
There are too many gyms in Las Cruces already. In the past 2 years, at least 10 fitness centers have opened. The market is saturated.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Thumbs down Oh Brother, Here We Go Again!!

I just found out, there are opponents to the new Race Track for T or C.
I wonder if it's the same group of knotheads that called themselves the ICA.
sounds like a small group of citizens who will do anything to halt progress.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Maybe?

Maybe Sierra County has a residency requirement?
some counties in wisconsin required that an applicant be a resident of the county or city before even applying for a LE position. don't know if that applies to new mexico and sierra county or not? good luck though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Thanks pal, as usual, you're very well informed and your points are of use to me. I actually applied for an open deputy position back in April but have not heard back from human resources. I called last week and I got a lot of telephone shoulder shrugging. Guesss I'll try again this week and write a letter.

We are planning to fly down to El Paso over the Holidays, or earlier if we can swing it, and check LC out for about a week. Everything, however, is on hold until after I get my hand repaired.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 AM

Default Your Opinion

In your opinion, what type of business would you think las cruces has a need for? First hand, I know T or C is lacking in many areas of consumers services. what do you think las cruces could use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasCrucesOne View Post
There are too many gyms in Las Cruces already. In the past 2 years, at least 10 fitness centers have opened. The market is saturated.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Yes, residency requirements apply, nevertheless I threw my hat into the ring anticipating our move to the region in the not too distant future. My concern is the total lack of response to my inquiries and my rather thick resume'. Oh well...I'll be the proverbial squeaky wheel if need be....

Interesting about the fitness centers in LC, although the numbers themselves are not a deterent necessarily. Denver has numberless gyms and fitness centers, some are two to a block, and most are doing rather well. THX for the head's up.

Last edited by dracul; 09-22-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: deps and muscles

Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Default Wow, Just wow.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...st5349277.html

in the above post, I'd written about how the ICA (informed citizens alliance) tried blocking the opening of walmart here in T or C, and of how there was a poster made up hung from a wall in a local hardware store, with a tombstone on it reading RIP, referring of course to "the death of a small town" T or C.
well folks, hipocracy is alive and well. guess who I bumped into when I was shopping at our new walmart?
The proprietor of "said hardware store", after I'd recognized him, I quipped, so, how's the hardware business??!! he replied, oh fine, just fine.
so, in summation, the hardware store propreitor was against the opening of walmart in "his town", but, shops there anyway! uhummm, pardon me, but, did he discover that his hardware store didn't have what he was looking to purchase? take a look around folks, hipocracy is, "alive and doing fine".
the snowbirds have returned to T or C, and it seems they've come in droves. the rv parks are nearly full, with attendance looking better than it did in years past. going back 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico