Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times

Advertisements

I dont know about that...the brain drain has all but disappeared. New Orleans has one of the best job markets in the country right now (that may be more of a sign of just how bad things are elsewhere), this is one of the best places rated to launch a start up company. Gamespot, a French video game developer just announced they will open an office here in New Orleans. I could go on and on...but you should look things up yourselves.

http://gnoinc.org/images/97.png (broken link)

Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
...getting a decent paying job these days is difficult no matter where you live.
Exactly. Try raising a few kids on $35k in any major city and its going to be tough. Large cities are going to have a higher cost of living compared to the surrounding suburban and exurban areas. This is not news nor is it specific to New Orleans.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,729 times
Ok, I'll give you the beaches, if that's what you like, however aside from that,. Louisiana offers one hell of a lot more than the panhandle of florida ever could, including food that puts it to shame.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM

489 posts, read 887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Ok, I'll give you the beaches, if that's what you like, however aside from that,. Louisiana offers one hell of a lot more than the panhandle of florida ever could, including food that puts it to shame.
Yeah food, if that's the type of food you like and some historical architecture; that's about it. The rest though, not so much. They have a horrible political govt., some of the worst roads in the country next to Michigan (and this is the South where roads aren't suceptible to the harsh conditions of the North). The whole state in general is dirty, bland, and ugly--lots of the oil and gas stuff out there. Yeah it's beneficial to the country but not sightly to look at. Don't get me started on the obnoxious LSU and Saints fans..that's a whole different story. As I said, it must not be a great place to be because all I see are LA plates over on our side.....giant gold Suburbans plastered in LSU/Saints stickers, ice chest racks on the back, crap strapped to the top, and a hoard of obnoxious kids in the back (speeding up and slowing down in the left hand lane). Sorry that's sterotyping but I tend to see a LOT of that come over our way. I went to Pensacola Beach in the off season to relax, and there were droves of LA folks out there that fit the above description. It was not relaxing for us. The parking lot was full of LA plates. The FL panhandle does take your hard earned $ in tourism though!

To each his own. If everyone lived in the same place, it'd be more overcrowded. I just don't care for and would never live in LA, but that's just my opinion. I don't blame folks for not wanting to live in AL either.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 AM

307 posts, read 803,250 times
Looked at a map lately? Louisiana and Alabama are kinda close if you didn't notice...not much of a surprise to see several Louisiana plates there.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Yeah food, if that's the type of food you like and some historical architecture; that's about it. The rest though, not so much. They have a horrible political govt., some of the worst roads in the country next to Michigan (and this is the South where roads aren't suceptible to the harsh conditions of the North). The whole state in general is dirty, bland, and ugly--lots of the oil and gas stuff out there. Yeah it's beneficial to the country but not sightly to look at. Don't get me started on the obnoxious LSU and Saints fans..that's a whole different story. As I said, it must not be a great place to be because all I see are LA plates over on our side.....giant gold Suburbans plastered in LSU/Saints stickers, ice chest racks on the back, crap strapped to the top, and a hoard of obnoxious kids in the back (speeding up and slowing down in the left hand lane). Sorry that's sterotyping but I tend to see a LOT of that come over our way. I went to Pensacola Beach in the off season to relax, and there were droves of LA folks out there that fit the above description. It was not relaxing for us. The parking lot was full of LA plates. The FL panhandle does take your hard earned $ in tourism though!

To each his own. If everyone lived in the same place, it'd be more overcrowded. I just don't care for and would never live in LA, but that's just my opinion. I don't blame folks for not wanting to live in AL either.
New Orleans has the highest concentration of buildings on the National Historic Landmark list in the country, a few?! Haha

Texas has horrible roads as well, so does Alabama and Mississippi. Should I go on or do you get the point that the entire country is failing from its dilapidated infrastructure.

Ugly? I think the millions of tourists prove that is in your own little mind.

I guess LSU and the Saints are the only sports teams in the country. You fail to mention the redneck UF fans in Gainesville and the Alabama fans. WHO DAT

People do that to their cars everywhere. You think its special to Louisiana?

How old are you?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,729 times
Louisiana is about the culture and people more than the places.
We are enjoying life rather than having such meaningless existence that we worry about the condition of a road or how dirty an oilfield is. We work hard, and we play hard. That is the Louisiana way.
If it is so amazing elsewhere, then why are so many people in the suburbs of other supposedly better states so miserable?
It is because Louisiana at least has a unique personality. It has a genuinely special life experience to offer that makes it fun to live here. I'm not even talking about getting wasted either. I have plenty of fun here and I don't even drink. There are enough festivals and great places to eat, visit, and hang out with friends that I am rarely bored. Better yet, the HOAs don't bother most of us. You can park your RV in your driveway without people claiming it as an eyesore. you can put your boat in your garage and nobody cares. People here are not as self righteous and self important and elitist. They live and let live, and have realistic expectations. That's how it's done here.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,949,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Louisiana is about the culture and people more than the places.
We are enjoying life rather than having such meaningless existence that we worry about the condition of a road or how dirty an oilfield is. We work hard, and we play hard. That is the Louisiana way.
If it is so amazing elsewhere, then why are so many people in the suburbs of other supposedly better states so miserable?
It is because Louisiana at least has a unique personality. It has a genuinely special life experience to offer that makes it fun to live here. I'm not even talking about getting wasted either. I have plenty of fun here and I don't even drink. There are enough festivals and great places to eat, visit, and hang out with friends that I am rarely bored. Better yet, the HOAs don't bother most of us. You can park your RV in your driveway without people claiming it as an eyesore. you can put your boat in your garage and nobody cares. People here are not as self righteous and self important and elitist. They live and let live, and have realistic expectations. That's how it's done here.
Yeah, on that note, I'm allergic to seafood yet stay up nights thinking about New Orleans food.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 PM

489 posts, read 887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans has the highest concentration of buildings on the National Historic Landmark list in the country, a few?! Haha

Texas has horrible roads as well, so does Alabama and Mississippi. Should I go on or do you get the point that the entire country is failing from its dilapidated infrastructure.

Ugly? I think the millions of tourists prove that is in your own little mind.

I guess LSU and the Saints are the only sports teams in the country. You fail to mention the redneck UF fans in Gainesville and the Alabama fans. WHO DAT

People do that to their cars everywhere. You think its special to Louisiana?

How old are you?
Old enough to have a college education and to have traveled the country extensively in my line of work, so yes, I have experienced many places with which to compare. The millions of tourists you speak of come specifically to New Orleans. Last I heard Lafayette, Lake Charles, Shreveport, etc. weren't major tourist meccas. After Katrina, the city made heavy efforts to promote the FQ; however, the rest of it pretty much went to hell. Look at the east side of NOLA today. I drive through there going to our office on <shudder> the West Bank.

As for the football fans, LSU and Alabama are THE most obnoxious fans, hands down. I can't stand college football, and I get sick of the Auburn/Alabama crap over here. LSU and AL are just more "in your face" about it. We get the clue, you live in LA you like LSU; what a novel concept. Same for the fans here. People just live for that mess down here.

As for the "live and let live" philosophy of the other poster, that's all fine and well. There just happens to be a bit much of that. I, frankly, don't want to live in a neighborhood where someone's RV is out in the front yard or someone can paint their house pink or puke green. Having personal freedom is awesome, and I'm for that. Unfortunately, all it takes is one eccentric individual that moves in and has to show off his "individuality" by ruining the image of his property; thus the neighborhood. HOAs can be ridiculous; however, some regulation is nice so that your neighborhoods don't turn to slums.

You all have your territory there and are proud of it; that's fine. Plenty of us don't like it and have many reasons for it. I know plenty of folks around the country that dislike NOLA and LA in general. The OP had some valid points, although a great deal of his post were his own problems. He was correct in some of his statements about NOLA. The argument is worthless because you'll have someone who lives in the worst urban decayed neighborhood in Detroit defend and have pride in area of the city.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
The part that I can't grasp is that all of this is coming from someone who lives in Alabama of all place. Then wants to comment on Louisiana drivers. Driven in Birmingham, Montgomery, or Mobile lately? Like seriously, Alabama? I agree about the RV, but housing colors? Fortunatelly people in Louisiana aren't confined to endless red brick and ticky tacky suburban structures that all look the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans