Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:22 AM

110 posts, read 213,527 times

Advertisements

It seems that Penn South is no longer an option, but I'm wondering why I haven't heard anything here about the Elliot J Hobbs apartments at 482 Franklin Avenue in Bed Stuy. The lottery came out at about the same time the Greenpoint 1133 Manhattan Avenue one did. Any thoughts or fellow applicants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:36 PM

37 posts, read 87,657 times
Been thinking the same thing. My Log number 46,986.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Do you have an interview? How do you know your log #? Where are the other 49k people? I'm really not hearing about it online anywhere...

Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM

11 posts, read 22,270 times
I got an email 2 days ago for an interview. My log # is 38k. I'm also a municipal worker and not a Community District 3 resident.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 PM

57 posts, read 94,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible467 View Post
I got an email 2 days ago for an interview. My log # is 38k. I'm also a municipal worker and not a Community District 3 resident.
That's great mj number is 14k and I haven't read a thing. Crossing my fingers for you

Old 09-28-2014, 07:42 PM

I'm excited about the awesome amenties/kitchens etc the building should have, but am still concerned re area a little bit.

Does anyone have any updated info on Franklin at Fulton in terms of safety? It looks fine during day but you never know (unless you live there...hence me asking residents of the area for info!).

Also, after interview, I wonder when move in dates would be...if everything went well?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:22 PM

154 posts, read 288,072 times
I got an email today from the Elliot Hobbs people that was a correction for a letter, saying interviews were this friday and not saturday. But I never received a letter! I'm looking now for a phone number, but of course haven't found one yet. Does anyone have a phone number or is calling a terrible idea? I emailed back immediately but haven't heard back.

Last edited by mollybloom; 09-29-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM

My letter was also in an email- as an attachment. I was also confused about the "correction" as my letter had the interview date as Oct 3rd (Fri) originally. I don't have a number but email should work. Is it city screening first or is it Wavecrest management right away? I'm not sure who actually runs the Bronx office where the interviews are. What do you guys think about the location etc? The rents are still pretty high if you are in the medium income bracket.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info Readysteady, I am hoping I somehow just didn't get the email and that they'll send me one again. I think it's wave crest, since that's who sent the correction, but who knows. So your interview is this Fri in the Bronx, exciting!

I'm not sure where you live now, but Franklin Ave in Crown Heights (maybe 10 blocks in the direction of the park from Hobbs) went from pretty ungentrified to the next Williamsburg practically overnight last year. That part of Bedstuy (where Hobbs is) is very near Clinton Hill, where I work a few days a week at a university. I feel very safe there, even when I've walked home at night around 9pm. I went to check out the Hobbs block a few weeks ago in the the middle of the day, and while it's not the most charming area I've ever seen, it felt safe to me. There were guys on the corner and whatnot, but there were older people out shopping and several younger hipster types walking around. There's a gorgeous old library next to the Hobbs building that I'm sure homeless people hang around in and near, but all of that will change as the neighborhood explodes with the new ridiculous Brooklyn real estate situation.

Not sure your situation, but we'd be in the middle income bracket too and yeah, the rent is high. But you can't find anything at that price with those amenities anywhere in Brooklyn anymore that I've seen. Even far-out neighborhoods like Midwood cost more than that now for a basic rental. Our rent just got raised to that same number (for a 2-bed it's 2500) where we live now, but our son is growing and his room is the size of a closet. Plus our rent here is not stabilized and will probably be $3K soon, which we cannot do. It would be a big improvement to have a proper 2-bed apartment, and the neighborhood is changing at lightning speed. The only thing I really wonder is about the school across the street, how loud it is, what age group, etc. I didn't get to see that.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Oh and we have one set of friends who live in BedStuy and say that area is very busy all the time because of the train and commerce, so that would be a plus in terms of safety. They feel like it's okay around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery