Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 AM

64 posts, read 61,958 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the area well enough to give a description? Things to do, demographics of residents, noise, schools, parks, cool stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You applied to all the "home run" Mitchell-Lama developments, lol

It's like how ppl go for NYCHA and put Manhattan as their first borough
I applied to these "home run" developments and also to two in the Bronx! Hedging my bets. But I would like to stay in Manhattan if possible.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinpointpennington View Post
Does anyone know the area well enough to give a description? Things to do, demographics of residents, noise, schools, parks, cool stuff?
Two Bridges is kind of a crappy neighborhood as far as Manhattan neighborhoods go. It's actually one of my least favorite parts of the city but I'll take a ML apartment anywhere I can get it.

https://goodmigrations.com/city-guid...ty/two-bridges

https://commercialobserver.com/2016/...-finally-come/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/r...east-side.html

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM

I have no problem living in Two Bridges. I live in an ML now with my family so I'm not leaving anywhere until my number is called; I'm on a bunch of lists.

I just don't particularly like Two Bridges, but I'll be ok anywhere as long as it's not East Harlem. I really hate East Harlem lol.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Future growth is pointless if you never sell. That's likely what ML coops are intended for, stability of the neighborhood, not financial gain. It's fine for me. I can put my money in the market and own a place vs have it tied in a place that I'll never realize (likely).

If you want investment, if I'd even call it that, look at condos.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Totally agreed.

I'd rather purchase an ML apartment for a small sum and then purchase a modest home upstate or somesuch for quick weekend vacations. I would always vote no to going private on an ML. It's the right thing to do, imo.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinpointpennington View Post
It's like coops/projects -> hipster hell square -> Chinese going from the East River to the Brooklyn Bridge. Imo the area this ML is in and really anything from Pike and especially Rutgers (Essex St) going East is modern day Lower East Side. The area bounded by the two bridges (Manhattan and Brooklyn) is Two Bridges. If you call stuff east of it Two Bridges, you might as well call it Three Birdges because the next bound is the Williamsburg Bridge.

Demographics? Diverse in race and economics. Noise? Louder than the average neighborhood, but by this ML is very quiet. It's more coops and some projects that aren't really active like they are on Columbia St and Ave D. To me it's very quiet. Schools? There are some very good elementary schools, junior high is meh (I think there isn't really a single good junior high though, even the one I attended was terrible in the suburbs of IL relatively), and there is a very good high school on Forsyth St, though it's mostly Chinese. High school selection is a bit estranged though. Parks? I like the parks, but I hate the misquitos. Cool stuff? It's the Lower East Side, you don't need to ask this

Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Two Bridges(-ish) isn't terribly attractive, but, what the hell, I've lived in worse neighborhoods for sure.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I know that the rat population is high in Two Bridges

And Madison Street is prolly the most run-down looking major neighborhood thoroughfare on Manhattan Island
Def one of the most run-down thoroughfares, though I'll give it to East Harlem for streets that make me feel worse haha. Helped friends tour East Harlem before and have had to go up there from time to time otherwise. They make the best faces when they realize the real estate agents are advertising the ghetto as the Upper East Side despite what I tell them

I honestly don't mind that part of the LES. There's a deli that I go to often down on Madison St that does $2.50 BLTs with a free coffee. The rats seem to stick more to the Chinese side between the actual two bridges, but you can only get so much visibly. I was around there as recent as Saturday.

To me, where this ML is, it's on the more peaceful side of LES, an otherwise chaotic neighborhood of change. Shame it couldn't be a few more streets north, those coops are nice and give a better air to the immediate surroundings. It's across the street from some projects, but I've never had issues with those particular ones. I've lived across the street from the projects before several times.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM

I hope we all get low log numbers and can be neighbors.

$24k buy in for a one bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery