Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2023, 07:27 AM

41 posts, read 56,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
We all have to find our own level. I would say, if you're looking for advice, it doesn't hurt to go on hold (which is a maximum of five years) to give yourself time to think about it. You will continue to move up on the list, so it's no risk. You can go off hold anytime. Then you can look at the apartments and see what your options are. Who knows? You may get offered something facing inside the development that's nice and quiet.

As far as an interview, that took place after my daughter accepted the apartment. It was during the pandemic, so we saw the apartments without a human guide. There was a lock on each apartment’s doorknob, and my daughter had been given the various codes to unlock. We went in each one, looked around, and then went on to the next.

I don't know how apartment viewings are being done these days. Maybe someone going through the process now can enlighten us.

You can find out a lot on your own. Follow this thread and also read the local press about what's happening in Chelsea. And as I mentioned, the windows do a pretty good job at blocking sound.

Manhattan is a bit much in general, to use your phrase!
Hi! When viewing apartments, you are still given lock box codes. Before the pandemic, you would have called the office to make an appointment to pick up keys, and were given an hour for the visit, if I recall. The lock box system offers more flexibility because you can schedule a time in the evening, as was my experience. I just made an internal transfer, moving in at the end of December. I have to say that moving within the building was a blessing! You can fill your cart and head to the elevator at all hours. I had waited over three years on the internal list, and finally expanded my preference list. So glad I did! I’m so happy with the place I got. It seems like all apartments have some sort of a trade off. I wanted big windows and southern exposure. I ended up with corner windows (still nice light!) and largely northern exposure. The trade off was a bigger space and an amazing west facing balcony on a high floor. Oh, and quiet, as it’s in the back of a building which faces 8th Ave! Strangely enough, the sun reflecting off buildings in Hudson Yards now offers rays of light to some north facing apartments throughout the day!

Last edited by ChelseaRez; 02-18-2023 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Additional information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 08:15 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
Congrats on the new apartment, Chelsea Rez! Is it a one-bedroom? You’re so smart so stay within your building. And I think it says a lot about Penn South that residents seem to be happy to do that.

I know in general that with internal transfers, the more specific you are about apartments you want to see, the longer you will probably wait. Were you originally requesting a high floor and a balcony? How did you expand your search? Did you include different lines in the same building?

I’m wondering how you can have corner windows with a balcony. I thought the floor plans that have the corner windows don’t also have a balcony.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-19-2023 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 11:15 AM

23 posts, read 23,427 times
Default There are limits to being on hold?

I see in these posts that some are saying there's a 5 year limit to being on hold. This is the first I had heard of that limit. Can someone point to where that rule is provided? Or why then there's people from the 1980s still on the list? I'm a little confused. I had thought that one could go on hold and come off whenever you wanted, so I'd love to know more!

Old 02-22-2023, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 23,427 times
I've read in numerous posters' comments that there's a 5 year limit to being on hold. This is the first I had heard of that limit. Can someone point to where that rule is provided? Or why then there's people from the 1980s still on the list? I'm a little confused. I had thought that one could go on hold and come off whenever you wanted, so I'd love to know more!

Old 02-22-2023, 12:23 PM

67 posts, read 94,631 times
Who do we email if we want to put our application on hold?

Old 02-22-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawag77 View Post
I've read in numerous posters' comments that there's a 5 year limit to being on hold. This is the first I had heard of that limit. Can someone point to where that rule is provided? Or why then there's people from the 1980s still on the list? I'm a little confused. I had thought that one could go on hold and come off whenever you wanted, so I'd love to know more!
This wording is from Penn South, in an email confirming a request to be put on hold:

Quote:
As a reminder of our policy: applicants on our external waiting lists are allowed to put their applications on hold one time only, for a maximum of five years. At any point you may reactivate your application in one of two ways:

1. You may send a letter to the Management Office, Attn: Apartment Allocations, or by email at applicant@pennsouth.coop, indicating that you wish to reactivate your application.

2. You may sign into your account on pennsouth.coop and re-activate your application on our website. If we do not hear from you by … five years from the date your application was placed on hold, we will automatically reactivate your application. At any point you may track your position on the 1 Bedroom waiting list by logging on to pennsouth.coop.

Carmen Santiago Mutual Redevelopment Houses, Inc.
The reason we are seeing applicants from the 1980s and 1990s still on hold is because the rules must have been different back then. I have no insider knowledge, but I'm just assuming that.

Quote:
Who do we email if we want to put our application on hold?
According to the email above: applicant@pennsouth.coop

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-22-2023 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 02:11 PM

93 posts, read 77,493 times
Does anyone know where people walk their dogs on Penn South property? I'm assuming not on the grass due to the "get off the grass" signs. Any dog owners want to chime in?

Old 02-22-2023, 02:41 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
Does anyone know where people walk their dogs on Penn South property? I'm assuming not on the grass due to the "get off the grass" signs. Any dog owners want to chime in?
People in the city walk their dogs on leashes. They walk around they neighborhoods they live in or go to a close by dog park. City dogs don't need grass or dirt to do their business, they do it on the sidewalk and the owner picks up after them.
Two popular dog parks near by are on 23rd and 11th and Madison Sq park.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 7,993 times
Default One bedroom waiting list position

Can I ask which position you are in when you get called for the one-bedroom nowadays?

Old 02-23-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousm423 View Post
Can I ask which position you are in when you get called for the one-bedroom nowadays?
My daughter was in the 120 range on the "active applications only" list for a one-bedroom. She was called to see apartments in January 2022.

Maybe someone more recent will reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery