Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 08:07 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times

Advertisements

Also, regarding rent stabilization in Stuy Town/PCV: It is a very complicated subject. Whole books have been written about it, as outlined very well in the document 531PCV posted. I have followed the ins and outs of it for 30 years as a resident.

Keep in mind that the document posted is from 2018, and so it is somewhat out of date. The rent-stabilization law was overhauled in 2019 in Albany to be much more tenant friendly, and that’s why the landlord’s plan to deregulate thousands of units has been put on hold.

For anyone getting these “new lottery” units, be sure to ask about future rent increases before you sign a lease, and make sure you get it in writing. Also, there is a decent chance that anything you are told by the landlord’s agent is incorrect and/or subject to change, because of the various lawsuits.

Welcome to Stuy Town!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 04-22-2023 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 09:15 AM

143 posts, read 162,010 times
there are actually 1 bedrooms in PCV that management has recently installed w/d in upgraded units. The rents for these are $5500 plus. It’s a way of bifurcating cash flow. When we got our apartment, all the units had similar amenities (different finishes yes but that’s more form over substance) but now the amenities seem to vary significantly with the lottery apartments loosing pretty basic stuff like microwaves and cabinets while other apartments go much more upscale. Maybe Stuytown has less variance. It’s an interesting strategy.

Old 04-22-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Also, regarding rent stabilization in Stuy Town/PCV: It is a very complicated subject. Whole books have been written about it, as outlined very well in the document 531PCV posted. I have followed the ins and outs of it for 30 years as a resident.

Keep in mind that the document posted is from 2018, and so it is somewhat out of date. The rent-stabilization law was overhauled in 2019 in Albany to be much more tenant friendly, and that’s why the landlord’s plan to deregulate thousands of units has been put on hold.

For anyone getting these “new lottery” units, be sure to ask about future rent increases before you sign a lease, and make sure you get it in writing. Also, there is a decent chance that anything you are told by the landlord’s agent is incorrect and/or subject to change, because of the various lawsuits.

Welcome to Stuy Town!
Great advice. Let’s share information to keep us all current. Nobody wants to get an unpleasant surprise at lease renewal.

Old 04-22-2023, 09:20 AM

And with Rent Stabilzation, management may try to push the envelope of saying it does not apply. Most if not all thd court cases have backed up tenants for this complex about this issue but doesn’t mean there won’t be future challenges. So anything someone gets in writting may be pivotal for others down the road

Old 04-22-2023, 09:53 AM

530 posts, read 410,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Washing machines are not allowed in Stuy Town/PCV because the plumbing is not adequate. If someone has an illegal washing machine it causes all kinds of problems for all apartments in that line.

Apartments are inspected annually to check for lease violations, such as pet Bengal tigers, grow farms, ghost kitchens, etc.—none of which has been found here, to my knowledge
If plumbing is the reason W/D isn't allowed then how are they offering it in their market-rate apartments? Sounds like they just dont want the lottery units to have their own W/D's and using plumbing as an excuse

Old 04-22-2023, 10:05 AM

It’s not just lottery units, it’s most of the units. The ones being installed by management are an exception. The problem you raise is the hypocrisy. But the more they do this the harder it will be for them to raise an issue for others. The laundry company probably has a legitimate complaint about these as well. This also could be a test program in a few buildings and might not be a sustainable trend because of what has been said previously.

Old 04-22-2023, 11:00 AM

Let me tell you, this 76-year-old plumbing cannot handle what management is expecting it to handle!

Old 04-22-2023, 11:23 AM

530 posts, read 410,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 531PCV View Post
It’s not just lottery units, it’s most of the units. The ones being installed by management are an exception. The problem you raise is the hypocrisy. But the more they do this the harder it will be for them to raise an issue for others. The laundry company probably has a legitimate complaint about these as well. This also could be a test program in a few buildings and might not be a sustainable trend because of what has been said previously.
Yup seems more so in line with what you said about dual standards. If I ever move in and don't have a W/D id definitely get a HE version. nobody should be hauling laundry in 2023 or sharing it with nasty neighbors who do disrespectful **** washing things that should not be washed in a shared washing machine.

Unless you were running a mega washer with 30 ft capacity and draining millions of gallons a second i dont see plumbing being stressed

Old 04-23-2023, 08:51 AM

I had a LOT of problems, as did everyone else in my line, when my downstairs neighbor had a washing machine. Apparently, cold water gets sucked into the hot water line.

I'm not a plumbing expert, so I don't know if there is a relatively easy way to adapt the pipes to accommodate washing machines, but I'm thinking no. Or else every building in the city would be doing it.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:52 AM

Check out 7 PETER cooper road 8-H On the conventional rental site for an example of a unit with a w/d. Clearly this will test the plumbing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery