Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,602 times

Advertisements

Thank you bklynrodd, wanting_to_move. I have been mostly quiet on this forum but got a lot of information and the process from this wonderful community.
I received my notification and went and looked at the apartment. Now my process begins.
The ladies at the office Mercy and Melissa are truly the nicest I ever encountered from a management office. Very nice, patient and understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 PM

21 posts, read 36,125 times
I hope everything works out for you... things may look a little crowded with the work on the gas main for a couple of the buildings but I have no problem recommending this complex to anyone who is on the list. Its not perfect but nothing is - however there have been so many improvments in the 2 years i have been here that it actually impresses me.
I took my aprtment in just OK shape - we worked on it a little at a time and i am comfortable with the way everything has gone.
the office staff have always been more than helpful - security and maintance are also on point
Just keep your phone handy when you are going through the process - any issues in my paperwork - i got a call from the office telling me exactly what the issue was and how to correct it. I had heard horror stories before going through the process myself but here they actually made sure my paperwork was done and everything was in order and that made the process so easy - I couldn't believe it when they called to tell us to come get the keys
Anyways hope it all works out and looking forward to you updating and letting us know you are a resident

Last edited by bklynrodd; 07-13-2017 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Thank You so much bklynrodd. Sincerely appreciate your insight and all the information.
I can't wait to be a part of Masaryk Tower community.
The apt shown to me actually is in very fine shape and the previous family really took care of it.
The kitchen is new condition with nice countertops and kitchen island too.
The only thing I need to fix are the bathrooms.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 13,497 times
Hello, Congratulation to those of you who moved in.
We received a letter saying we are being considered for 3 bedroom soon.
What happens if you do not like the apartment shown the first time?
Do you go back to the top of the list if next 3 Bedroom becomes available?
BTW What is the layout like?
Thanks

Old 07-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Default 3 bedroom

If you do not like the apartment you are shown - you remain on the list in your same spot, However I do not know if you are a military veteran. Military veterans have preference on the 3 bedroom list - so turning down a 3 bedroom may not be in your best intrest. Even after you see the apartment there is a major amount of paperwork, credit and background check that have to be done and final approval comes from HPD. if you tour the apartment and say you dont like it they will contact the next person on the list almost immediately. If you do get the apartment you get to take another tour before you move in Whatever you dont like about the apartment i.e. floors, paint you can tell them during the review and they will fix it. Things like kitchen cabinets, sinks bathtub, tiolets will cost you to replace, if needed. all appliances are paid for by you- you will get an empty apartment no stove, refrigrator or anything else unless the previous tenant left the item they paid for.
the layouts of the apartments differ depending on the building single standing buildings are going to be different than connected buildings. I live in a single standing building and the layout is walk in the door
immediately to your right is a long hallway with three closets. then the half bathroom followed by about 8 feet of wall space and then the full bathroom. at the end of the hallway is a bedroom (2nd biggest) nice size - we have a king size bed in it and it has 1 regular closet.
on the other side of the hallway opposite the full bath is the big bedroom with a double closet (two single windows)going back toward the front door there is the 3rd bedroom smaller with a single closet.
from the front door directly across as soon as you open the door is the kitchen again depending on the layout of the building and what the previous owner did to it - you are either going to like it or hate it (we hated it and spent a good deal of money fixing it.
From the front door to your left is the living room / dining room its a huge area with no seperating walls from this area you can enter both the kitchen and the long hallway. there are three larger windows in the living room area all connected and on the upper floors depending on the building - you may have some cool views.
there are plenty of lights and several electrical outlets in each room.
you can choose which ever cable provider you want (RCN, Verizon fios and 1 other )- you pay the bill
each building has either 2 or 3 elevators
each building has a laundry room in the basement (you need a pre paid card - available in the office to use the machines)
there are two staircases that run from the 1st floor to the top in the stand alone building (may be more in the connected building)
on my floor there are 6 apartment total on the floor - 3 on each side of the elevators
I have not had any issues with noise - walls are solid, lower floors you may not like the street noise (cars, sirens - if you keep your windows open)
Pros-
all electric is included in your monthly carrying charges
same with gas
there are probably hundreds of resturants, bars and stores within a square mile of this complex
maintance staff respond quickly and do a pretty good job
the office staff (especially the women who handle the day to day buisness - i dont know their titles) are on top of their game. never had an issue in the entire time I have been here.
since the gates have closed its cleaner and alot less noise
the new playground for small kids looks great
there is parking - but there is a wait list and it cost extra
security - much improved
residents are friendly and i have not had any issues
there is a pool located inside one of the buildings - you have to pay a fee to join yearly has swim classes and things like that

cons
interior of the building -colors and paint jobs just look depressing the tile flooring on the exterior hallway is two different colors (one area is lite green the rest is dark green just looks cheap and tacky)
residents smoking weed - this is a major issue with smoke present in the lobby, hallways and even seeping into apartments - there have been several letters from management about it but no change- I would say it even worse now then when I moved here more than 2 years ago

so it really is a great place to live -
i would think really hard before passing up any opportunity to live here

Last edited by bklynrodd; 07-20-2017 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Default 3 bedroom

Thank you for the detailed and prompt response.
Much appreciated. We realize how lucky we are. But having waited so long for the opening we wanted to make sure we had an option. Now I understand the next opportunity maybe another long wait and no better than the first offer. It is a fortunate dilemma. We have lived in a same 1 bedroom apartment for the past 25 years and raised a son and a daughter. They may finally have their own. It has been a life of Murphy bed in the living room for my wife and I since the kids.

Thanks again for the detailed floor plan. I can start to visualize where to place the real bed.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Is there a rule about having pets for new comers? I understand dogs are grandfathers in, but how about cats and number of cats?

Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM

when I arrived I had to sign a paper stating I would not bring in a dog - yes dogs that were already here are grandfathered in. however after a few months I started noticing a few puppies in the complex, then a few more.
There were new signs put up saying clean up after your dog and trash cans installed just for dog poop clean up

so we have a pet now had her for almost a year without any complaints -
we walk her and clean up after her
she is a house dog and pretty quiet - there is one dog in my building that barks non stop and that dog was not here when I moved in. I would wait a couple of months see how your building is and make a decision, If you sit out in the park there are at least 100 dog owners in the complex
cats are allowed (indoor) because squirrels have the run of the open area's here

I dont know if they still have new residents sign that document - but if so its unfair
the amount of time you live somewhere should not be the qualifications for owning a pet

Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 PM

"update"

I got the call finally that HPD approved my application and to get my keys.

My process with HPD till a little longer at close to 6 weeks.

The apt is in good condition, the only work that need to be done are the bathrooms.

Thank you all for the kind information and insight.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 15,855 times
Smile Moving In Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingDowntownSoon View Post
Thanks Wanting_to_move, very excited and like you it is life changing for me and my kids. I couldn't afford to live in NYC anymore -- my rent on the Upper East for a 1 bedroom was going to $2100 (about half my monthly income) (which is a steal by NYC standards).

I wanted to participate on the thread but the wait/process is daunting and didn't want to jinx myself. Life!

See you in the hood!
Okay so finally moved in, wanted to renovate/paint before getting in so it is done right. You know these apartments -- people stay in them for decades. The kitchen was just old and ugly and floors were ugly. Many lessons learned - that I wanted to pass on.

Check with the office to see what can and can't be done with renovations. Don't wait on them to paint the apartment - it will take FOREVER and they do the work piece mail between regular maintenance work. Find a good handyman and pay to do it. I have a good referral if you need one reliable and reasonable ($150-200 a day depending on how difficult the job) -- i.e., he'll paint two rooms in a day for $200 (you must buy paint/brushes), he'll put in ACs, put in hardware and hang up window treatments and put together furniture).

Good luck all, whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery