Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,412 times

Advertisements

Why don't the people who live in the projects just move? Middle America has plenty of low skill jobs and its a million times cheaper to live there. Sure it wouldn't be easy, but its doable and you could raise your family in a much safer place. Why continue living in the projects of one of the most expensive cities in the world when you can be a cashier in Kansas or somewhere and make a liveable wage and live in peace? Sorry if this question is ignorant in some way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times
I think your question is fine, just a bit outdated. Maybe once upon a time moving to Middle America would have been a better option. These days even many of our midwestern cities have fallen on tough times. The job market is in a shambles. The housing market is not as amenable to lower income families. Crime is on the rise. Racism and other forms of discrimination on the job market and the housing market are on the rise. Maybe it's a tad better than living in the projects of NYC, but it is no longer a piece of the American dream.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
I think your question is fine, just a bit outdated. Maybe once upon a time moving to Middle America would have been a better option. These days even many of our midwestern cities have fallen on tough times. The job market is in a shambles. The housing market is not as amenable to lower income families. Crime is on the rise. Racism and other forms of discrimination on the job market and the housing market are on the rise. Maybe it's a tad better than living in the projects of NYC, but it is no longer a piece of the American dream.
I agree that its true to an extent. Where I live there are tons of retail, supermarket, and landscaping type jobs available. I'm not saying that 10.00 an hour is a great wage anywhere in America, but it is certainly more liveable and the standard of living is certainly better and safer outside of New York City. I admit that racism exists, but not to the extent that it would cripple you from finding a job. Most of our low skill jobs are taken by Mexican immigrants in my area and, while there is racism unfortunately, the Mexicans are still hired to do these jobs because the fact is that white people won't do them.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
It takes a lot of money to move

You have to transport yourself there
You have to have a place to live when you get there
You might have to pay a month's rent + deposit
You have to put food on the table while you are looking for a job
etc...

Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Not to be condesending or anything but if you live in the projects you are there b/c you can't afford to live anywhere else! How in the world are you going to get the money to move to another state? Another question, if you get there where are you going to live until you get a moderately low paying job?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It takes a lot of money to move

You have to transport yourself there
You have to have a place to live when you get there
You might have to pay a month's rent + deposit
You have to put food on the table while you are looking for a job
etc...

You type faster then me

Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Not to be condesending or anything but if you live in the projects you are there b/c you can't afford to live anywhere else! How in the world are you going to get the money to move to another state? Another question, if you get there where are you going to live until you get a moderately low paying job?
I guess I just don't buy that it is impossible...hard, yes. Impossible, no. We have a lot of Mexican immigrants who make far less than minimum wage in Mexico and make it here with nothing but the clothes on their backs. They are certainly poor, but they do work hard and build a better life for themselves and their families. I'm not a person who believes that all poor people need to do is pull themselves up by their bootstraps and I don't believe that the American dream is available to everyone, but I don't think it is impossible to seek employment and a life elsewhere. If it truly isn't than that is a massive breakdown in our system. To continue to pay for people to live in poverty in one of the most expensive cities in the world when they could live in much better conditions elsewhere had they a plane ticket a a months rent is ridiculous to me.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM

It's too bad there isn't a federal program that instead of putting people into a housing project in a city where so few can afford to live (much less those trying to break the cycle of povery) would help them to move and temporarily subsidize living costs in a new place. Among other things such as massive logistical problems, this would look very racist on the surface. It would look like NYC was trying to get rid of its non-white residents since most of the people living in projects are minorities. It just seems to me that the only way to end poverty in a city like New York is to move poor residents out of there. It's too bad that the American dream is dead and that New York is SO expensive...

Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
It would look like NYC was trying to get rid of its non-white residents since most of the people living in projects are minorities.
There are also a lot of minorities that DON'T live in the project. And some white people who do!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
There are also a lot of minorities that DON'T live in the project. And some white people who do!
Oh absolutely! I'm just saying in this hypothetical world where there is such a program, it might look racist...or classist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City