Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,903 times

Advertisements

So me and my girlfriend will be moving to NYC at the end of 2010. We will be permanently be relocating to NYC from Los Angeles. We have an eight month old son so we will need a two or three bedroom unit, we do not plan on having any more children so a two bedroom is okay since all our family lives in the city, a three bedroom is most preferable but if the building has great amenities we would choose the two bedroom without a doubt. We prefer full service buildings where housekeeping is available, parking, fitness, doorman, and pool. We will be purchasing our condo or coop so we will not be renting, we have budgeted up to seven million. I will work downtown in finance and my girlfriend will work by NYU Hospital as an OBYGN. We were wondering what building do you think we should go with we have visited them and looked at units, but we cannot decide! We are looking at 15 CPW, Time Warner/Mandarin Oriental, Trump World, One Beacon Court(Bloomberg Tower), and we are open to other buildings with good views around Central Park. We do not want downtown at all, we are not into the loft culture you could say. So any suggestions from people who know the buildings would be great! Thank you for all of your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCherewecome View Post
So me and my girlfriend will be moving to NYC at the end of 2010. We will be permanently be relocating to NYC from Los Angeles. We have an eight month old son so we will need a two or three bedroom unit, we do not plan on having any more children so a two bedroom is okay since all our family lives in the city, a three bedroom is most preferable but if the building has great amenities we would choose the two bedroom without a doubt. We prefer full service buildings where housekeeping is available, parking, fitness, doorman, and pool. We will be purchasing our condo or coop so we will not be renting, we have budgeted up to seven million. I will work downtown in finance and my girlfriend will work by NYU Hospital as an OBYGN. We were wondering what building do you think we should go with we have visited them and looked at units, but we cannot decide! We are looking at 15 CPW, Time Warner/Mandarin Oriental, Trump World, One Beacon Court(Bloomberg Tower), and we are open to other buildings with good views around Central Park. We do not want downtown at all, we are not into the loft culture you could say. So any suggestions from people who know the buildings would be great! Thank you for all of your time.

Seven Million?!
I like the Avalon building in Long Island City. I know some people who live there. Are you also paying for Private school because that will affect your search for a home and will limit you to certain neighborhoods.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
You need to work with a brokerage like Corcoran or Douglas Elliman. They handle the high-end properties in NYC, especially on Upper East or West sides.

They are going to be able to help you a lot more than the city-data board in terms of one building over another.

How will you get to work- town car/ driver or subway? If you are both working on the East side of town (Wall Street & NYU), it will be easier to commute via subway if you live on the Upper East Side (4/5/6 trains- green line, with no transfers).

If you want new buildings and Central Park views, you will be limited. They majority of buildings surrounding Central Park are pre-war, and absolutely gorgeous in my opinion!! You will also need to figure out if you want condo or co-op. Co-op will put you through a rigourous personal (social & professional) and financial screening process. You will need letters of recommendation, and possibly an inside connection depending on the building. Many million- and billionaires with cash offers have been rejected from the exclusive co-ops because the board did not want that person in the building due to personality reasons or the unwanted media attention they could attract.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM

151 posts, read 300,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCherewecome View Post
Most of those are great but..

Although One Beacon Court is a gorgeous building (I love the circular drive), but the location is not so good IMO (too business'y)

I've looked at Time Warner/15 CPW. Trump World is a bit outdated compared to Time Warner and 15CPW so i'd scratch that off of the list. If you go with the Time Warner, make sure you go with the Residences at the Mandarin Oriental (North Tower, I believe)...more luxurious and higher values.

Have you looked at Trump Towers on 5th? We have an apartment in the building , it's also nice, but also a bit dated compared to Beacon/TW/15CPW.

Have you looked at the Plaza? And I'd agree, you should use a brokerage firm at this price range.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
Default Happy !

Well I have nothing much to say but wish you and your family have a happy life in this new place

Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 AM

Well, we do have a broker, my girlfriends sister. I just want to get opinions, because I am the person who calls seven painters for a quote!
It is a bit more business like around One Beacon, but I just can never get over the views! Also my mom lives in the building, so that is a bonus! If we could get a three bedroom in there with downtown views I would just be so happy, I would like a three bedroom, because I really want a golf simulator so I would need an extra bedroom(not sure if you can put one in an apartment, but I hope you can!). Then I do love the Mandarin Oriental!, but the only units available there for under seven have west side views/the hudson. They are great in all but not like the views at One Beacon. Over at Trump World there is not too many units which appeal to us accept a few but the location and building we are not totally sure about? Then the Plaza is nice but it seems like all the units with good views are way over seven, except one unit for 6.45 which looks on to fifth, so that is a good possibility. Also does anyone know about all The Plaza lawsuits? 15 CPW is just amazing but nothing that wows us within our budget, so it is kind of eliminated. If it is something amazing that just blows us away we could go up to eight, but it has to be just amazing.
Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 AM

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Trump Tower, Yankee(you can PM me if you want also), what are the amenities like? Is it easy to unload/pack up the car when coming and leaving?, because I know there is a lot of foot traffic in the area. Then there are also the tourist who have never walked in NYC, they just drive me insane! I also like how the Trump name might help with the units value a bit. Are the halls and elevators kept up to date? Also how are the ceiling heights compared to the newer buildings. It seems that ceiling height is more noticeable in buildings with the large glass windows then the pre-war buildings.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 PM

9 posts, read 32,346 times
Simply amazing that you're looking for advice on an anonymous Internet forum in your price range. Just speak with various real estate agents, family, and friends and go with your gut.

If I was you, I don't know that I'd worry so much about amenities. Go with the neighborhood you like best. If I had $7M to spare, I'd be looking at the East 60s and East 70s between Fifth and Park Avenues, but I guess it's not everyone's style.

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/de...spx?id=1062973

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/de...spx?id=1107275
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City