Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

Elementary may be ok if you're at a decent public school, but it quickly goes downhill from there. I just did my student teaching in Manhattan, so I've seen this. BUT, there's hope...If your kid(s) do well on the state tests in elementary, they can apply to good middle schools around the city. So you may end up being at a decent middle school. Of course though, it wouldn't be as good as private school, but still a lot better than your community middle school. Then they do the same for high schools--apply. I would really suggest not having them sent to the MS or HS in your community. The only drawback is that it may be difficult getting to their MS or HS, wherever it would be in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Lower-class people make due on all of the handouts and welfare programs, but they aren't raising any rocket scientists in the PJs, so don't expect much.
I grew up in the PJ's with a fella by the name of Londell McMillan. Brooklyn Tech, Cornell undergrad and NYU Law.....now considered the best entertainment lawyer in the business, with Prince and Stevie Wonder as his clients. In fact, he's the guy who came up with the symbol, to get Purple Man outta his Warner contract! No rocket scientists from the PJ's, eh?

Back on the subject, the schools, unfortunately, are an issue. If you are at a certain address and apartment number, you will be assigned to go to an elementary school, which may not be that good! High schools has a bit more choice, where you do apply, but the good ones are competitive; the specialized HS's have entrence exams (Tech, Stuy and Science). The other issue you have to deal with (all levels) is overcrowding.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 PM

177 posts, read 857,528 times
Is the public school quality issue for high schools only in NY or is it everywhere in the country more or less ?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I grew up in the PJ's with a fella by the name of Londell McMillan. Brooklyn Tech, Cornell undergrad and NYU Law.....now considered the best entertainment lawyer in the business, with Prince and Stevie Wonder as his clients. In fact, he's the guy who came up with the symbol, to get Purple Man outta his Warner contract! No rocket scientists from the PJ's, eh?
A ghetto miracle is not the standard. Especially these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Is the public school quality issue for high schools only in NY or is it everywhere in the country more or less ?
Most major cities have problematic schools. However NYC's are just that bit extra bad. Could be due to the size of the school system? The high percentage of low income families using the public school system? Funding? Hiring standards? I don't know.

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates

Only 38.9% of NYC 9th graders will graduate in 12th grade. City average. It's worse in low income areas. I do know the problem is beyond high school. It starts early. It also has to do with the families of these children. Both their struggles and attitude towards education.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM

If you're not like parents who could care less about your child's education and their life, your child will graduate on time. Just be involved in their education and you'll be fine.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If you're not like parents who could care less about your child's education and their life, your child will graduate on time. Just be involved in their education and you'll be fine.
Problem is these kids drag others down. From physical violence and harassment to "lets cut school"/drink in the back of the classroom/smoke weed in the building across the street. Kids bringing the street bull**** and their personal problems into the classroom. It brings others down. Kids are easily influenced.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

177 posts, read 857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates

Only 38.9% of NYC 9th graders will graduate in 12th grade. City average. It's worse in low income areas. I do know the problem is beyond high school.
This study seems a bit misleading. In Dallas city for example, I know for a fact, that though the Dallas city public schooling is not good, but there are several suburbs which have excellent schools. And thats where most families with kids live.

I would assume even for people working in NY, there would be areas in New Jersey or within an hour's drive which has good public schools.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yeah thats true, but we're talking about NYC schools, not suburban schools.

You end up paying for those better suburban schools though with ridiculously high property taxes. All this money ends up going to the suburban tenured-teachers who are pulling in 100k a year salaries. So one way or another you're going to end up paying a lot of money if you want your kids to have a good education.

Wow I just looked at that study. Why is NYC doing so bad? The city has a graduation rate of 38.9% while Los Angeles has a rate of 44.2%, Philadelphia has a rate of 55.5%, and Chicago has a graduation rate of 52.2%. Whats up with that?

Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Problem is these kids drag others down. From physical violence and harassment to "lets cut school"/drink in the back of the classroom/smoke weed in the building across the street. Kids bringing the street bull**** and their personal problems into the classroom. It brings others down. Kids are easily influenced.

True, but that really happens everywhere. I grew up in what was considered one of the wealthiest areas of Long Island, and that stuff happened in my school (I graduated fairly recently--2002). There are bad kids everywhere, even if they don't come from the projects. It's the parents' job to make sure their kids don't get involved in that stuff, no matter where they live.

Here's an example, fights like this. I don't know if you heard about this. It goes on in suburbs too, unfortunately:
FOXNews.com - 3 Female Teens Charged After Video of Them Beating 13-Year-Old Girl Surfaces - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Old 07-04-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
True, but that really happens everywhere. I grew up in what was considered one of the wealthiest areas of Long Island, and that stuff happened in my school (I graduated fairly recently--2002). There are bad kids everywhere, even if they don't come from the projects. It's the parents' job to make sure their kids don't get involved in that stuff, no matter where they live.

Here's an example, fights like this. I don't know if you heard about this. It goes on in suburbs too, unfortunately:
FOXNews.com - 3 Female Teens Charged After Video of Them Beating 13-Year-Old Girl Surfaces - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Yes but the problem comes when some "beef from the block" goes down in the hallway in the form of a stabbing. Inner city schools suffer from major problems with violence. Lots of it.

That incident that made the news in Suffolk is everyday for big schools in NYC. Too common an incident. It would take a homicide inside the school (not outside) to make the paper. Even then it will be forgotton in a week.

You go to suburban schools and it is a different world. So much cleaner, better supplies, better overall atmosphere. In NYC you are greated with metal detectors and you have to swipe your ID card to get into school. Graffiti on the walls, broken sharpeners, books, windows, desk, ect. Gangs beefing, kids fighting over petty ****. Students (and teachers) that don't give a ****. It's a different world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City