Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,117 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning on moving to NYC. I am looking to get into the movie/tv biz. I am a grad from college in LA. I am not dumb and know it will take work so am ready for a crap job to pay rent while I intern and move up, but will move up!
Just need advice on affordable places for a new NYC'er? Rent? jobs? Atmosphere? Etc?

I am a live soul, love movies, music, people, God, life! I want to be around that

Thanks for the help, I truly appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 PM

202 posts, read 686,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkersey View Post
Hello, I am planning on moving to NYC. I am looking to get into the movie/tv biz. I am a grad from college in LA. I am not dumb and know it will take work so am ready for a crap job to pay rent while I intern and move up, but will move up!
Just need advice on affordable places for a new NYC'er? Rent? jobs? Atmosphere? Etc?

I am a live soul, love movies, music, people, God, life! I want to be around that

Not a good idea, to me at least. You'd be willing to have a crap job in NYC? Are you OK with living in an urban ghetto where rent is cheaper?
You say that you will intern and move up, but whats your plan if it fails?
So many people with tons of experience can't find jobs so why would you be able to find one when thousands others with MORE EXPERIENCE in any given field cannot find work?

If you still plan on moving here how much for rent? Do you have a job lined up already?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:

there is probably a .00005% chance of you getting any job in those industries here in NYC. As you should know the industry is really in LA. There are shows filmed here, but movies usually travel. Unless you have an extensive network and extensive savings I wouldn't move here.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Default thank you

well, no job lined up, no family, no pre-arranged place to stay. I wantt o come, thats the end of it. What is the 'feeling' in the city? Why are there so man ppl with experience and no jobs? I am willing to do grunt work those with simiar or more experience won't.

Looking for the move, if I fail, I fail. I have a family to come back to in Texas.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
You're going to have to give some hard numbers before you should expect to get any form of a serious response. Rents vary wildly, but as I'm sure you know, you should expect to pay more than you've been paying in L.A. and be prepared to get a lot less.

What kind of "crap job" are you thinking of?

Have you ever even been to NYC? You ask about "atmosphere" and say you want to live somewhere with like that, but much of NYC has that. It's not like one specific neighborhood has that and the rest don't.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Crap jobs don't really pay the rent in NYC. At least not in an area that you would want to live in. More like 3 crap jobs. Oh and interning is unpaid so good luck fitting that in somewhere.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:

So u want tp leave the sunnier, cheaper place that films over 200 TV shows a year to goto a colder more expensive city that shoots maybe 10 shows a year? I dont get the logic.

1st, and last months rent and a broker fee will run u about 3k to 4k to get started. NYC isnt like Cali where there is 5 for rent signs on every street

Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Default just want

Thank you. I just want to make it to the city. Is there a chance to come, find a job, begin to network and make something happen while living?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Try living in Queens, Long island, or Staten island..Obviously further out, But there alot cheaper. And you can take the train or the ferry into Manhattan..If you dont have Manhattan money, then live in the outer boroughs..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:45 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Thank you. I just want to make it to the city. Is there a chance to come, find a job, begin to network and make something happen while living?
You didn't answer any of the more specific questions that anyone on this thread has asked you... Have you ever been to NY? Do you have any money saved? What kind of money do you think you'll need to survive? Etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City