Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY(JAVON) View Post
As i sit here and read many of your comments about south side Jamaica queens it hurts me to think what many people think about my home. I'm from Baisley which is the heart of south side Jamaica queens. i feel many people talk what they don't know about that area. many of you might have never been to south side but one thing i can tell you its not like what many of you are saying! lets think back! man when you wanted to play a good game of basketball where did you go? to the south side! late Friday or Saturday night when you heard it was a jam in the park where did you go? to the south side? if you had a child that wanted to play on a baseball team or you was that child that wanted to play on a baseball team,where did you play?south side! when you wanted to shop where did you shop? the ave "south side!".. and the list goes on.. many positive people came out of the south side and people could not make it but guess what they are still positive. many people there today helped me where i am now! south side brings great memories for me! if you are from the south side keep your head up! many of you from south side may know who i am and some may not but just know i will never forget where i came from!!

Oh i didnt mean to offend you or anything by starting this thread, the fact is that i want to move ot southside because i love the neighborhood and its just that ive heard many negative things and i wanted to confirm them thats all since im new to the city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM

139 posts, read 923,791 times
south side queens is not as bad as people make it out to be..i used to live in south side..eastside of merrick blvd i didnt see to much of a big deal..sutphin blvd as well as guy brewer & bricktown off of liberty ave was probably the 3 most run down areas of southside.what alotta people dont know is alotta middle class people live blended in with section 8 people in south side

Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Jamaica Estates is a funny place. The main entrance to it is right in the middle of the ghetto. But a lot of it is gated off. I think it is the perfect picture of modern NYC. The two worlds. The rich and the poor.

It is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city, possibly the wealthiest in Queens.
I think Forest Hills Gardens could give them a run for the title.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
Jamaica Estates is Diverse

There's Hollis, Holliswood Hills and Hollis Hills. The latter two are more Northern Jamaica and are diverse.

South Jamaica isn't half as bad as many folks make it out to be
folks who aren't very familiar.

There are some blocks in different areas with more crime based on drug dealing

South Jamaica is the lower income area of Jamaica, but the majority are hard working folks, school kids, etc. and it's no less safe than other areas.

Don't believe the hype.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
Oh i didnt mean to offend you or anything by starting this thread, the fact is that i want to move ot southside because i love the neighborhood and its just that ive heard many negative things and i wanted to confirm them thats all since im new to the city...
Most of the folks posting here don't even know the area.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Jamaica Estates is Diverse

There's Hollis, Holliswood Hills and Hollis Hills. The latter two are more Northern Jamaica and are diverse.

South Jamaica isn't half as bad as many folks make it out to be
folks who aren't very familiar.

There are some blocks in different areas with more crime based on drug dealing

South Jamaica is the lower income area of Jamaica, but the majority are hard working folks, school kids, etc. and it's no less safe than other areas.

Don't believe the hype.
No less safe than other areas? ooookkkkkkk.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
i will say this....sutphin blvd from linden to jamaica ave is a mess, as well as the area around 40, and guy brewer from the ave to 110th ave. and dont forget liberty from 150 st to the van wyck. crackhead area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Jamaca Queens
PRO:
1) Many single-family homes at lower prices
2) Major transit Hub
3) Lower property taxes since one is still in the City

CON:
1) High crime or high reputation of crime????
2) Despite transit hub, still far away from Manhattan
3) Foreclosure capital of NYC??????

Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i will say this....sutphin blvd from linden to jamaica ave is a mess, as well as the area around 40, and guy brewer from the ave to 110th ave. and dont forget liberty from 150 st to the van wyck. crackhead area.
You mention main streets, there's lots of properties off of main streets.,

You're going on hype.,

I KNOW you don't know the area.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:00 PM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
i'm from queens how could i not know jamaica? i haven't been on every block in jamaica but i know where's bad. and you know all those areas i listed are prolly the worst parts of southside. so what if they're main streets i'm just giving general areas. i know you dont know every street in jamaica so i dont think you would expect me to know them.

all those blocks off of sutphin are bad....glassboro's 1 of the worst, a whole lot of gang activity.

and how could i 4get south road? crackhead neighborhood.
linden blvd from guy brew pretty much to rockaway blvd aint too hot.

from driving thru south jamaica hundreds of times and hanging out there, the neighborhood overall is not that desirable.

oh yeah i forgot foch blvd and 142 that area looks so run down its not even funny. reminds me of the ghetto downsouth. actually thats what most of southside reminds me of.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City