Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM

265 posts, read 945,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
You mention main streets, there's lots of properties off of main streets.,

You're going on hype.,

I KNOW you don't know the area.
You don't know what you're talking about. That area is terrible. My dad drives a school bus there, and says there's always crack dealers shooting dice in the street. One time, at one of his stops, there were a bunch of guys shooting dice in the street and they wouldn't move out of the way for my dad's bus. So my dad says out his window "excuse me, can you please move I have a stop ahead." They move out of the way, and when he lets the kids off the bus, one of the guys go up to the door, lifts up his shirt to expose a gun, and says "don't come down this mother****er no more." Enough said about South Jamaica.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 PM

34,087 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-d0g_Bronx View Post
south side queens is not as bad as people make it out to be..i used to live in south side..eastside of merrick blvd i didnt see to much of a big deal..sutphin blvd as well as guy brewer & bricktown off of liberty ave was probably the 3 most run down areas of southside.what alotta people dont know is alotta middle class people live blended in with section 8 people in south side
bricktown's actually hollis

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
bricktown's actually hollis
Brick Town is NOT Hollis.

You just don't know what you are talking about.

And your assessment of South Jamaica based on one incident with one person is silly and inaccurate.

Quite frankly, I'd feel significantly safer in South Jamaica late at night than very many of the dark, deserted Long Island Streets.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 AM

139 posts, read 923,943 times
lol@bricktown is actually hollis...bricktown is the last part of south jamaica before you hit pov city then followed by hollis brother

Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 AM

i lived in the bricktown area so i would know what brothers claim as they hood..in fact bricktown dudes have beef with hollis heads

Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 AM

bricktown is liberty and 174th how is that southside??? after merrick i consider that hollis.

and donna, if you're from south jamaica, you're going to be biased.

people will say far rockaway's a bad neighborhood but i feel safe out there and walk around there all times of night, but i'm from there. big difference. dont make south jamaica look like its all roses, its simply not. overall its not a good neighborhood. i never said that the entire area is bad, but it does have its hot spots, just like anywhere else. and like it or not, the majority of the neighborhood just looks run down. it is what it is.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-05-2008 at 06:18 AM..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM

keyword's.."you consider",you didnt write the geography maps of neighborhoods in ny when they was being formed..fact is its southside buddy.

& by far the hot spots in south side is sections of guy brewer(mainly around 109th,south road), & sutphin bully(blocks inbetween the ave & linden blvd)

Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 PM

south side is nothing now like it was back in the 80s or 90s..or even what it was around 2000-2001 .. i agree with donnareed...if somebody from outta town was to ask weather they should move to southside or other hoods i would say southside 1st & foremost

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
keyword's.."you consider",you didnt write the geography maps of neighborhoods in ny when they was being formed..fact is its southside buddy.

& by far the hot spots in south side is sections of guy brewer(mainly around 109th,south road), & sutphin bully(blocks inbetween the ave & linden blvd)
hey we're all here to learn. all i ask for is that you post a reputable link with boundaries and u got it.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
south side is nothing now like it was back in the 80s or 90s..or even what it was around 2000-2001 .. i agree with donnareed...if somebody from outta town was to ask weather they should move to southside or other hoods i would say southside 1st & foremost
nowhere in the city is like it was in the 80's or '90s...so that argument's a little weak...and i still say that since you're from the area you and donnareed are going to be biased towards your opinions of it. which is completely understandable. if you've lived there all your life, your comfort level is gonna be sky-high. like me living in far rock. i walk around all times of night, no matter where it is (mott ave or the p's) and i feel fine. but dont let that interfere with common sense.

from what i have seen (and i lived in queens all my life) south jamaica is a mostly run-down neighborhood that does have issues with crime. in all honestly some parts of south jamaica still look like the 1980's to me (especially by the liquor store on 108 ave and guy brew). all i have to do is ride the 113 and look out the window. and the overall appearance of the neighborhood is getting worse with all these foreclosures, i'm sure.

ps: and you're saying bricktown is considered southside? well allow me to add that to the list of "hot spots" for south jamaica...never seen such a run-down area in my life (in queens at least). and talk about one way in and one way out....i dont even think i would go back there in a car. and the 1st and only time i went there was in one.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City