Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,418,645 times

Advertisements

LMAO at this guy supermario saying Washington heights is diverse.

That neighborhood is almost 90 percent Hispanic and isn't even diverse ethnically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,281 times
At the end of the day " I dont know, what part of The Labor Day parade is the largest attended parade in the nation, are we not understanding"

The west indian parade operates on a completely different level. The dominican parade is like barely better than the AA day parade lmao

P.S- AA dont do parades

Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,772,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Your delusional west indian culture is way bigger than dominican culture in nyc. Jamaican culture alone is bigger than dominican culture in NYC. Why should west indians be honored? theirs is the biggest parade in the country

As far as bagging girls i would rather go to the west indian day parade, where the girls are half naked
I hate to agree with KONY but he is correct 100%. Jamacians, and the English speaking Carribeans have been here much longer than the Dominicans. Dominicans are part of a very recent wave of immigrants. Back in the 70's the only Spanish speaking Carribeans of significance in New York were Puerto Ricans. As I said before the Carribean festival is the largest parade of all NYC parades and has been here much longer than the Dominican parades. Jamaican culture has a much stronger significance for the city and country. The only bigger west Indian culture in the city would be Puerto Ricans. Dominican cuture is still new to the city and still unknown to the masses.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

No diversity in those West Indian parades. It's black, black, and blacker. I'll stick with my Dominicans.
This above sentence is what bothers you and other Dominicans about attending a West Indian parade. Sad.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
theirs no diversity at the west indian parade? lmaoooo omg next year im taking pics because this by far is the biggest bs ever.

west indian parade is filled with indo - west indies, black west indies. thousands of white visitors and the west indies has plenty of mixed people who look just as light as Hispanics who attend.

Also their are plenty of Asians who attend the parade to. I think you need to stop describing the parade if you have never been their.

I have been going since 2006 and this by far is a very wrong post.
I live on Eastern Long Island, I'm white and I attend the parade. It's a New York tradition. I don't even know the date for the Dominican parade but I do know the WI festival is held on the week of Labor day. Every year my friends and I go there or to the Shinnecock Pow Wow.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah White Plains Road and the area around it is a wonderful community. You ever wonder why 183rd ST in the BX was so bad? the Jamaicans. No wonder that the key for the DEA to stop drugs was to target the Jamaican cartels.

Find me Jamaican rates by themselves, don't group then with other west Indians. According to this site, New York City Immigrants: The 1990s Wave - Federal Reserve Bank of New York, West Indians combined only graduate slightly higher than Dominicans and the income is not much higher and I bet it is mostly due to Haitians, who do well in the states. So unless you have proof, you are talking nonsense.

Washington Heights has an average crime rate. The West Bronx slightly above average, and that's due to the PR and AA presence in the WBX, which is not only Dominican.

This isn't 1991 anymore. The Dominican community is thriving and doing the right thing nowadays.
LOL! I can't believe what I'm reading from your post. Overall Haitians and Jamaican are much more prosperous than Dominicans. Generally, they are found in middle class enclaves all over the city. While Puerto Ricans have stepped into middle class and upper middlle class life. The Dominicans have taken their place as the underclass Spanish speaking undesirables. I'm not aware of any Dominican middle class enclaves. I can name many Jamaican ones. Heck, the entire SE Queens, where some nabes incomes rivals their white counterparts in Queens. I think that it's crazy that you brought it down to this level Mario but what you're stating is incorrect, half truths and bogus nonsense.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
pretty much i dont think supermario ever knows what hes talking about when speaking about black folks.

reggae is one of the most influential genre in the world(Way more then the dominican styles of music).

And another huge point you make which i told supermario is that people come from all over to the west indian day parade.

As for the dominican parade? majority of the people who attend are Dominicans who live in the ny metro area for the most part(vast majority actually).
Isn't Reggaeton an offshoot of Reggae?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
LOL! I can't believe what I'm reading from your post. Overall Haitians and Jamaican are much more prosperous than Dominicans. Generally, they are found in middle class enclaves all over the city. While Puerto Ricans have stepped into middle class and upper middlle class life. The Dominicans have taken their place as the underclass Spanish speaking undesirables. I'm not aware of any Dominican middle class enclaves. I can name many Jamaican ones. Heck, the entire SE Queens, where some nabes incomes rivals their white counterparts in Queens. I think that it's crazy that you brought it down to this level Mario but what you're stating is incorrect, half truths and bogus nonsense.
I dont think there is a middle class jamaican area, if any thing middle class jamaicans live around middle class african americans. Canarsie, st albans, cambria Heigths, williamsbridge, wakefield and coop city to some extent have large jamaicans populations but aas also live in these areas in huge numbers. Jamaicans have an advantagr over domincans and thats english. Many dominicans are poor and rely heavly on public assistance. Many single mother dominican women on section8 and many dominican men in jail for drugs. Go to west bronx oppsite washington heigths and see dominicans dealing and ddp ad3 on patrol. On the bright side dominicans make up the largest ethnic.student body of the cuny system. Lehman bcc and hostos is mostly dominican.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPgx...eature=related

Dominicans are among the most diverse people in the world. West Indians don't have the vast arrays of phenotype that you see in the videos. In that videos you see straight Nordic looking people, to people who look like they are from Sub saharan Africa, to everything in between, Mulattos, Castizos, Mestizos, Quadroons etc It's not even close.

It is not only skin shades, it's phenotype. Some light Dominicans have afro features and vice versa.

You think a White person in the west Indian parade would see diversity? He's probably gonna see a bunch of black people listening to jungle music. The white man would see Dominicans of all shades and automatically see diversity. Sad reality, but West Indians are homegenous, especially in the eyes of the white man.

You mention all those different types of music and I mentioned Dominicans different types of music. What you fail to understand is I was able to do so by using only one country, while you had to use various. It's sad that you have to use a whole region to justify saying it's more diverse than one country.
Actually, you all look black to us. The exceptions are Puerto Ricans and most Cubans and Guyanese who look like South Asians. I don't agree with what you're saying Mario. Each Carribean Island is very diverse when it comes to culture. Places like Guyana, Trinidad and many others have fused cultural apects of the three old world continents. DR seems mired in a faux Spanish culture with hints of West African. Other WI cultures have obvious ties to South Asian, West African, Northern Europe and even hints of East Asians culture. When it comes to culture (way of living) the Carribean is a melting pot, this includes DR as well. However there are other WI counties much more diverse culturally than DR.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Lets not forget that dominican republic some years submitted a request to join caricom, thats an economic bloc for the west indies likw nafta or eu. Jamaica, trinidad and bardados said no because the dominicam econonmy is bigger and more robust then all carribbean countries combine. A stupid move on the part of anglo west indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City