Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
“Hipster” thus becomes a code-word meaning: young, white and rich.
I hate this. You can't be white, artistic, wealthy and live in this city without being labeled as one or the other.

I've been called both. My boyfriend and I are certainly more "hipster," than yuppie, but neither of us have trust funds and we both hate Starbucks. However, we like art (memberships at multiple museums), indie music (considered very hipsterish, by many), read a lot of "intellectual" books, and both work in creative fields.

I absolutely hate that the label for any form of creative white person has become hipster. I think jealousy is the root in a lot of cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Yuppies = BMW's, Country Club, and Brooks Broothers (think Patrick Bateman from American Psycho)
Hipsters = Bicycles, Cheese Sandwiches, Plaid Shirts, Pabst and iPads

They both have rich parents in common.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 04:25 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yuppies = BMW's, Country Club, and Brooks Broothers (think Patrick Bateman from American Psycho)
Hipsters = Bicycles, Cheese Sandwiches, Plaid Shirts, Pabst and iPads

They both have rich parents in common.
I am the latter—but who cares if someone has rich parents? My parents may be wealthy, but it doesn't mean that I don't work for what I have now.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I am the latter—but who cares if someone has rich parents? My parents may be wealthy, but it doesn't mean that I don't work for what I have now.
It doesn't matter but usually both come from well-to-do backgrounds, or at least sorry to say, that is the stereotype. Nothing wrong with one's parents being wealthy.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
To stereotype considerably, both come from priviledged/well-educated backgrounds.

Yuppies are more concerned with creating wealth through safe, traditional career paths (law, finance, management). Hipsters are more esoteric / intellectual and are more into creating (ideas, arts, etc) than
raking in the big bucks in an "establishment" job.

Yuppies enjoy the preppy, Norman Rockwell-esque lifestyle. Hipsters are descendants of the grunge lifestyle.

Both can enjoy art: yuppies write large checks and attend opening gala receptions for blockbuster shows at the Met. Hipsters seek out "undiscovered" artists working in studio warehouses under freeways.

Both can enjoy fashion: yuppies shop at Bergdorf, JCrew, and Lilly Pulitzer or Diane Von Furstenberg. Hipsters wear thrift store finds (to save the environment!) and $200 skinny jeans that look like thrift store finds.

Both like music. Hipsters like indie bands no one else has heard of and claim to have loved them "way back when.". Yuppies like mainstream music and maybe hit the Bowery Ballroom for a big indie show like The Killers....as long as their Park Avenue wives and girlfriends don't know they went "down there" to the LES.

Both like to travel. Yuppies go to Paris and Capri and stay at $700 EU/ night hotels. Hipsters go to Southeast Asia and figure it out when they get there.

Yuppies are Republicans. Hipsters are Democrats.

Yuppies want the status things that everyone else has. Hipsters want to be the first to have it/ read it/ do it.

It's all stereotype. But they are most definitely not the same thing!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am told hipsters LOVE starbucks. google maps shows only one in williamsburg though. Surely there are more?
Hipsters DON'T love Starbucks. They love indy coffee places like Gimme! coffee in Williamsburg. I think you need to get your impression of hipsters straightened out, which I guess you are attempting to do in your other thread. But what is your obsession with hipsters?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
I posted this video in another thread a while back. This video accurately depicts hipsters.

Also, Wikipedia has more information on what a yuppie is classified as.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
I posted this video in another thread a while back. This video accurately depicts hipsters.

Also, Wikipedia has more information on what a yuppie is classified as.
Really? This is a British-based video. I haven't noticed the hipsters here wearing leggings. Skinny jeans, yes, but leggings? Maybe I have been too long in Queens to notice

Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Really? This is a British-based video. I haven't noticed the hipsters here wearing leggings. Skinny jeans, yes, but leggings? Maybe I have been too long in Queens to notice
Although it is a British video, many (but not all) of the themes displayed in the video apply to the hipsters currently in(festing) NY. Yes, I see a lot of female hipsters here in the city wearing leggings. I'm hoping the hipsters will stay out of Queens forever in order to keep it the best and most down-to-earth borough.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
Although it is a British video, many (but not all) of the themes displayed in the video apply to the hipsters currently in(festing) NY. Yes, I see a lot of female hipsters here in the city wearing leggings. I'm hoping the hipsters will stay out of Queens forever in order to keep it the best and most down-to-earth borough.
Save Astoria from hipsters say Greeks

They are already in queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City