Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,484,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Hipsters are the larval form of yuppies. In this adolescent form they are yuppie ground troops that bum-rush a neighborhood and prepare it for gentrification. The Hipster's primary purpose is to raise rents, encourage native populations to emigrate, laydown the groundwork for the cultural transformation. The local HQ is Williamsburg Brooklyn and all operations are coordinated from there.

At thirty to thirty five hipsters do a complete transformation from Hipster to full fledged yuppie. Sort of like a caterpillar morphing into a butterfly. They lose the tight jeans, ironic T-Shirts and asymmetrical haircuts and trade them in for Barneys New York corporate outfits. The anti-establishment hipster ethos does a complete transformation into the entirely corporate persona of the parents that supported them through their parental enabled hipster rumspringa. The transformation is completed with an investment portfolio, a child adopted from the orient and a large foreign made SUV or Prius.
The caterpillar/larval metaphor is excellent.

The hipster is an indolent creature feeding off of the wealth handed down from their well-to-do parents, much as larval insects feed on what was left by the parent insects.

However, wealthier colleges are where hipsters and yuppies coexist. Quite a few never are hipsters, they just turn into kids bedecked in Brooks Brothers or J.Crew apparel.

The hipster is indolent, survives off of inherited wealth, smokes defiantly and enjoys an alternative lifestyle.

The once-and-always yuppie has an initiative which is supported by well-to-do, well-connected parents. They enjoy an uninhibited youth of sex and drugs, and as with hipsters, daddy's checkbook and a family code of "let us never speak of this again" more or less buries the odd skeleton in the closet. They may often smoke, but discreetly and only when drinking, while revelling the fact that their ideology and leisure activities are virtually unchanged since their great-grandfather's youthful pastimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:56 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times
re the larval theory

nah, that cant really be it.

I was a little young for the revolution, and like many folks my age, went straight to grad school without being hippie first. I think you will find there were lots of 20somethings in the early 80s like that. AFAICT thats still pretty common today. Lots of folks who go straight to "yuppieness" (even if the word is passe). Certainly the young folks earnestly reading public policy pieces on their kindles on the Dee Cee metro seem to have done so.

Perhaps in NY you have to have worked as a free lance video producer before getting a job with an investment bank or law firm? That seems very odd to me, but well, theres more in heaven and earth, horatio.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It doesn't matter but usually both come from well-to-do backgrounds, or at least sorry to say, that is the stereotype. Nothing wrong with one's parents being wealthy.
Somehow we have forgotten the term "young UPWARDLY mobile professional"

In fact of course at the time SOME yuppies were of affluent suburban origin and were not at all upwardly mobile, and so the term was "young URBAN professional" Others were of middle or lower middle or even working class origin, and did not have parently money behind them - one of the reasons they went to downtrodden inner city areas to fix them up to begin with - because they were cheaper than established areas. They had learned "affluent" consumption habits in college mostly, not at home.

I think the notion that everyone who can afford an expensive inner city nabe must have parental money behind them is comforting to some.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Hipsters DON'T love Starbucks. They love indy coffee places like Gimme! coffee in Williamsburg. I think you need to get your impression of hipsters straightened out, which I guess you are attempting to do in your other thread. But what is your obsession with hipsters?
Well I had previously thought that hipsters didnt like starbucks, as a review of my posts will show you. People here have explained to me that living out of town, I dont really know anything, and that I am wrong. I am a humble person, so I posted my puzzlement, based on the assumption they are right.

I am not actually obsessed with hipsters. I have relations in S WIlliamsburg, and I like to walk up into N williamsburg. I see things posted here about hipsters that puzzle me (like for example how they all love starbucks, even though i did not see a one in my walk in N williamsburg) so I thought I would ask about it.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,598,650 times
Irony is saying they stand for all things "indie" yet many are dependent on family money (read: not indie, not by a long shot)

Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post

And this is why I say yupster all the time. I'm talkin about folk in that metamorphosis phase. Sometimes it takes a solid few years. I really don't know what is so hard to understand about that term.....
Yeesh. Wish you said so weeks ago dude. To me, a yuppie can only get drunk on Friday nights and Saturday nights due to work. They also can't toke up due to drug testing. Hipsters can get drunk seven nights a week if they so choose (and I think many do), and toke up too. You all get one guess as to why. It doesn't take half a brain cell to figure out why. A "yupster" (lol) then, it woud seem, is a confused caterpillar who is full of angst because they want to continue to "do whatever the fack they want" but they know "rules of normal society" (gasp!) are just around the corner.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-04-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Irony is saying they stand for all things "indie" yet many are dependent on family money (read: not indie, not by a long shot)

what if someone likes indie rock, but not indie ISPs? Indie coffee shops, but not indie supermarkets?

What if they like things independent of corporations - and their parents are not a corporation?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Perhaps in NY you have to have worked as a free lance video producer before getting a job with an investment bank or law firm?
Who on this forum has said or implied that?
Answer: Nobody

Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Somehow we have forgotten the term "young UPWARDLY mobile professional"
Was that a real term? "Yumpie"? or "Yumpro"?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM

349 posts, read 782,312 times
I don't think yuppies and hipsters are one in the same. I do think, however, that they come from a similar breed. Most likely they come from an upper middle class family where they went to college, their parents went to college, and so on. The difference in my opinion is that the hipsters are more eccentric and try to be more "artistic". However, when push comes to shove they are most likely very similar to their yuppy counterparts. In any case, I try not to "hate" on people just for the heck of it. It seems the biggest complaint is that since they are typically higher income they cause rents and property values to rise thus forcing out the previous residents of a given area. They are also seen as pretentious which doesn't help. I can understand both points but I have my own problems to worry about so I don't sit around and hate yuppies and hipsters. I think somoene posted this already but this blog is pretty funny in relation to hating hipsters.

diehipster.com – **** the hipsters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City